Grub won't install on my system - Hardware

This is a discussion on Grub won't install on my system - Hardware ; I wanted to try playing with Xen, so I built a Xen kernel, but Lilo won't install it, claiming that it is "too big". I think the problem is the /boot/vmlinux-syms- file (since the /boot/vmlinuz-...xen.... file is no larger than ...

  1. Grub won't install on my system

    I wanted to try playing with Xen, so I built a Xen kernel, but Lilo won't
    install it, claiming that it is "too big". I think the problem is the
    /boot/vmlinux-syms- file (since the /boot/vmlinuz-...xen....
    file is no larger than other kernels). I also read something that
    indicated Xen does not work with LiLo.

    So I decided to try Grub. When I run grub-install:
    grub-install --no-floppy /dev/hda
    It just sits there. Apparently doing nothing.

    Dmesg reveals:
    Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

    This, despite:
    1. Using the --no-floppy switch.
    2. The lack of a floppy drive in my system.

    How can I solve this problem?

  2. Re: Grub won't install on my system

    Whoever wrote:

    > I wanted to try playing with Xen, so I built a Xen kernel, but Lilo won't
    > install it, claiming that it is "too big". I think the problem is the
    > /boot/vmlinux-syms- file (since the /boot/vmlinuz-...xen....
    > file is no larger than other kernels). I also read something that
    > indicated Xen does not work with LiLo.
    >
    > So I decided to try Grub. When I run grub-install:
    > grub-install --no-floppy /dev/hda
    > It just sits there. Apparently doing nothing.
    >
    > Dmesg reveals:
    > Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    > Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    > Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    >
    > This, despite:
    > 1. Using the --no-floppy switch.
    > 2. The lack of a floppy drive in my system.
    >
    > How can I solve this problem?

    If your /boot is on /dev/hda1
    then @ a root terminal:

    grub
    root (hd0,0)
    setup (hd0)
    quit

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  3. Re: Grub won't install on my system --solved

    On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Whoever wrote:

    > I wanted to try playing with Xen, so I built a Xen kernel, but Lilo won't
    > install it, claiming that it is "too big". I think the problem is the
    > /boot/vmlinux-syms- file (since the /boot/vmlinuz-...xen.... file is
    > no larger than other kernels). I also read something that indicated Xen does
    > not work with LiLo.
    >
    > So I decided to try Grub. When I run grub-install:
    > grub-install --no-floppy /dev/hda
    > It just sits there. Apparently doing nothing.
    >
    > Dmesg reveals:
    > Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    > Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    > Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    > end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    >
    > This, despite:
    > 1. Using the --no-floppy switch.
    > 2. The lack of a floppy drive in my system.
    >
    > How can I solve this problem?

    I found an old and incorrect /boot/grub/device.map which listed fd0. Once
    I removed this file, it worked perfectly.

+ Reply to Thread