the latest ati radeon driver - Hardware

This is a discussion on the latest ati radeon driver - Hardware ; i just installed the latest ATI radeon proprietary linux driver. it is better that the prvious one. but 3D accel is still slox, just checked it with google earth. there are many issues it seems, i have a math software ...

  1. the latest ati radeon driver

    i just installed the latest ATI radeon proprietary linux driver. it is
    better that the prvious one. but 3D accel is still slox, just checked it
    with google earth.
    there are many issues it seems, i have a math software that can display 3D
    surfaces draggable at ease, but that doesn't work.

    it outputs the following
    X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
    Major opcode of failed request: 144 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
    Serial number of failed request: 646754

    X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
    Major opcode of failed request: 144 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
    Serial number of failed request: 646797

    X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
    Major opcode of failed request: 144 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
    Serial number of failed request: 646840

    X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext

    I don't know why Graphical adapter is not recognized by xvinfo while The X
    window is running.

    $ xvinfo
    X-Video Extension version 2.2
    screen #0
    no adaptors present

  2. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    > i just installed the latest ATI radeon proprietary linux driver. it is
    > better that the prvious one. but 3D accel is still slox, just checked it
    > with google earth.
    > there are many issues it seems, i have a math software that can display 3D
    > surfaces draggable at ease, but that doesn't work.

    and "glxinfo" says???

    in debian if you install via distro specific packages. libGL.so.1.2 is a
    diversion. The Mesa version gets installed by default. You have to
    manually replace it with ATI's version to get reasonable DRI speeds. Not
    to imply optimum.

    A few notes that ATI drivers as of last check do NOT do 3D acceleration in
    combination with beryl/compiz. Some hint that it might eventually. (had
    my laptop over a year now and I'm not exactly holding my breathe about it
    yet). And ATI drivers as far as I can tell does NOT support PCIe.

    Just a few things that might keep you from reaching walking speed with
    ATIs drivers. (not to imply any relation to warp speed)

    Some things to look for in glxinfo.

    direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon Xpress Series
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7170 Release

    Kind of hard to help further not knowing what distro, video card, kernel,
    driver, X, ..... And anything fancy like xinerama, compiz, hi
    resolution monitor, .....

    Things to beef up/down in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Option "AIGLX" "false"
    Option "xinerama" "false"
    Option "clone" "false"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Option "VideoOverlay" "true"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "false"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Group "video"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "false"
    EndSection

  3. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 00:32:24 +0000, Shadow_7 wrote:

    > and "glxinfo" says???

    $ glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.2

    client glx vendor string: SGI
    client glx version string: 1.4
    GLX version: 1.2
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7276 Release

    > in debian if you install via distro specific packages. libGL.so.1.2 is
    > a diversion. The Mesa version gets installed by default. You have to
    > manually replace it with ATI's version to get reasonable DRI speeds.
    > Not to imply optimum.

    ok, but where do i find that file?
    I mean where is it on the HD?

    > A few notes that ATI drivers as of last check do NOT do 3D acceleration
    > in combination with beryl/compiz.

    what's compiz

    > Some hint that it might eventually.
    > (had my laptop over a year now and I'm not exactly holding my breathe
    > about it yet). And ATI drivers as far as I can tell does NOT support
    > PCIe.

    whooat?????

    > Just a few things that might keep you from reaching walking speed with
    > ATIs drivers. (not to imply any relation to warp speed)
    >

    > Some things to look for in glxinfo.

    > direct rendering: Yes
    > OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc. OpenGL renderer string: ATI
    > Radeon Xpress Series OpenGL version string: 2.1.7170 Release ...
    >
    > Kind of hard to help further not knowing what distro, video card,
    > kernel, driver, X, ..... And anything fancy like xinerama, compiz, hi
    > resolution monitor, .....

    ok,

    I'm running Slackware12.0
    kernel: 2.6.21.5

    my Gcard is an ATI Radeon Mobility, X300, PCIe

    Xorg7.1

    what's compiz?

    $xine-check
    [ good ] found xvinfo: X-Video Extension version 2.2
    [ hint ] Your X server doesn't support YV12 overlays.
    That means xine will have to do color space transformation and
    scaling
    in software, which is quite CPU intensive. Maybe upgrading your
    X server will help here.
    If you have an ATI card, you'll find accelerated X servers on
    http://www.linuxvideo.org/gatos/
    press to continue...

    [ hint ] Your X server doesn't have any XVideo support...
    XVideo is an X server extension introduced by XFree86 4.x. This
    extension provides access to hardware accelerated color space
    conversion and scaling, which gives a great performance boost.
    If you have a fast (>1GHz) machine, you may be able to watch all
    kinds of video, anyway. You will waste lots of CPU cycles,
    though...
    press to continue...

    > Things to beef up/down in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    > Section "ServerLayout"
    > Option "AIGLX" "false"
    > Option "xinerama" "false"
    > Option "clone" "false"
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Device"
    > Driver "fglrx"
    > Option "VideoOverlay" "true" Option

    "OpenGLOverlay"
    > "false"
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Screen"
    > DefaultDepth 24
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "DRI"
    > Group "video"
    > Mode 0666
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "Extensions"
    > Option "Composite" "false"
    > EndSection

  4. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    I demand that heavytull may or may not have written...

    > On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 00:32:24 +0000, Shadow_7 wrote:
    >> and "glxinfo" says???

    > $ glxinfo
    > name of display: :0.0

    [snip]
    > OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    > OpenGL renderer string: ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
    > OpenGL version string: 2.1.7276 Release

    You're needlessly tainting your kernel...

    [snip]
    > $xine-check

    [snip]
    > [ hint ] Your X server doesn't have any XVideo support...

    The best thing that you can do is to remove ATI's taintware and libraries in
    favour of xf86-video-ati and mesa.

    (That also goes for anybody else using <= X1050, except for Xpress chipsets -
    and that's being fixed.)

    [snip]
    | + Lobby friends, family, business, government. WE'RE KILLING THE PLANET.

    Trying to establish voice contact - please yell into keyboard.

  5. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 18:33:45 +0000, Darren Salt wrote:

    > I demand that heavytull may or may not have written...
    >
    >> On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 00:32:24 +0000, Shadow_7 wrote:
    >>> and "glxinfo" says???

    >> $ glxinfo
    >> name of display: :0.0

    > [snip]
    >> OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc. OpenGL renderer string: ATI
    >> MOBILITY RADEON X300 OpenGL version string: 2.1.7276 Release

    > You're needlessly tainting your kernel...

    What do you mean? i'm using one of the official slack12.0 kernel config
    and since it works well i never touched it.
    u mean the ATI proprietary's driver taints the kernel?

    > [snip]
    >> $xine-check

    > [snip]
    >> [ hint ] Your X server doesn't have any XVideo support...

    > The best thing that you can do is to remove ATI's taintware and
    > libraries in favour of xf86-video-ati and mesa.

    I actually blacklisted ATI's dirt and and restored the original xorg.conf;

    $ glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: No
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.2
    client glx vendor string: SGI
    client glx version string: 1.4
    GLX version: 1.2
    OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL
    OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 6.5.2

    visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
    id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
    0x23 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x24 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x25 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x26 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x27 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x28 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x29 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x2a 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x2b 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x2c 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x2d 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x2e 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x2f 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x30 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
    0x31 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    0x32 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    Segmentation fault

    > (That also goes for anybody else using <= X1050, except for Xpress
    > chipsets - and that's being fixed.)

    what's X1050?

    > [snip]

  6. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    >> in debian if you install via distro specific packages. libGL.so.1.2 is
    >> a diversion. The Mesa version gets installed by default. You have to
    >> manually replace it with ATI's version to get reasonable DRI speeds.
    >> Not to imply optimum.
    >>

    > ok, but where do i find that file?
    > I mean where is it on the HD?

    # dpkg-divert --list | grep -i "libgl"
    (in debian)

    Which puts Mesa here:
    /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2

    And puts fglrx here:
    /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions/libGL.so.1.2

    fglrx needs to be where Mesa is, since X uses that one. Perhaps some
    other xorg.conf way to make the change, but I'm not aware of it. Your
    setup may differ.

    Or find it the old fashioned way.

    # find / -name '*libGL*'

    One other note, you need the fglrx kernel module. Hence the kernel taint.
    For debian via a distro/package install it puts those kernel sources in
    /usr/src/fglrx.tar.bz2. So to install and use them...

    $ tar -xjvpf /usr/src/fglrx.tar.bz2
    $ cd modules
    $ cd fglrx
    $ make -f Makefile
    # cp fglrx.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/
    # depmod -ae
    # modprobe fglrx
    $ startx

    Compiz is extra eye candy. It gives your windows shadows and other
    effects. The beginnings of a 3D desktop. Which needless to say is
    agonizingly slow without 3D acceleration at the hardware, not software
    (Mesa) level.

    HTH

  7. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    I demand that heavytull may or may not have written...

    > On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 18:33:45 +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
    >> I demand that heavytull may or may not have written...
    >>> $ glxinfo
    >>> name of display: :0.0

    >> [snip]
    >>> OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc. OpenGL renderer string: ATI
    >>> MOBILITY RADEON X300 OpenGL version string: 2.1.7276 Release

    >> You're needlessly tainting your kernel...

    > What do you mean? i'm using one of the official slack12.0 kernel config
    > and since it works well i never touched it.
    > u mean the ATI proprietary's driver taints the kernel?

    The kernel module does, yes. X and kernel developers will normally ignore bug
    reports involving the use of proprietary components.

    [snip; "no XVideo"]
    >> The best thing that you can do is to remove ATI's taintware and
    >> libraries in favour of xf86-video-ati and mesa.

    > I actually blacklisted ATI's dirt and and restored the original xorg.conf;

    > $ glxinfo
    > name of display: :0.0

    [snip]
    > OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
    > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL
    > OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 6.5.2

    Much better. :-)

    [snip]
    > 0x32 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    > Segmentation fault

    Hmm? Some ATI-provided libraries lying around, perhaps? (I've not seen
    glxinfo segfault before...)

    >> (That also goes for anybody else using <= X1050, except for Xpress
    >> chipsets - and that's being fixed.)

    > what's X1050?

    A faster X300.

    http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon has more info. (In the "All
    Radeons" section, it says "... are not well supported for 3D" for R3xx and
    R4xx cards; it should, I think, say "are not as well supported for 3D" since
    support is good enough for many games but you may need to use driconf to
    enable the "disable low-impact fallbacks" option.)

    | + Use more efficient products. Use less. BE MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT.

    Stop searching forever. Happiness is unattainable.

  8. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    >> 0x32 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    >> Segmentation fault

    > Hmm? Some ATI-provided libraries lying around, perhaps? (I've not seen
    > glxinfo segfault before...)

    I have. And yes it's probably some older ati remnant getting mixed in
    with newer stuff, and/or non ati stuff. When I was getting that issue
    there were fglrx... stuff in /etc/ which is now in /etc/ati/ for the newer
    stuff. In addition to other ati stuff in /usr/lib/xorg/ that also existed
    in other locations. Fortunately there was a significant date/time
    difference to tell the difference between old versions and new versions.
    All the more reason to use the distro specific installs. Baring
    diversions of course.

  9. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    Darren Salt wrote:

    > I demand that heavytull may or may not have written...
    >
    >> On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 18:33:45 +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
    >>> I demand that heavytull may or may not have written...
    >>> [snip]
    >>> You're needlessly tainting your kernel...

    >> What do you mean? i'm using one of the official slack12.0 kernel config
    >> and since it works well i never touched it.
    >> u mean the ATI proprietary's driver taints the kernel?

    > The kernel module does, yes. X and kernel developers will normally ignore bug
    > reports involving the use of proprietary components.
    >
    > [snip; "no XVideo"]
    >>> The best thing that you can do is to remove ATI's taintware and
    >>> libraries in favour of xf86-video-ati and mesa.

    >> I actually blacklisted ATI's dirt and and restored the original xorg.conf;

    >> $ glxinfo
    >> name of display: :0.0

    > [snip]
    >> OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
    >> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL
    >> OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 6.5.2

    > Much better. :-)
    >
    > [snip]
    >> 0x32 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    >> Segmentation fault

    > Hmm? Some ATI-provided libraries lying around, perhaps? (I've not seen
    > glxinfo segfault before...)

    yeas, i completely uninstalled the proprietary drivers and now there is no more
    that segfault.

    by the way is that normal the the open source driver doesn't provide direct
    rendering?

    --
    heavytull
    slackware 12.0

  10. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    heavytull wrote:

    > i just installed the latest ATI radeon proprietary linux driver. it is
    > better that the prvious one. but 3D accel is still slox, just checked it
    > with google earth.
    > there are many issues it seems, i have a math software that can display 3D
    > surfaces draggable at ease, but that doesn't work.
    >
    > it outputs the following
    > X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
    > Major opcode of failed request: 144 (GLX)
    > Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
    > Serial number of failed request: 646754
    > Current serial number in output stream: 646754
    >
    > X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
    > Major opcode of failed request: 144 (GLX)
    > Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
    > Serial number of failed request: 646797
    > Current serial number in output stream: 646797
    >
    > X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
    > Major opcode of failed request: 144 (GLX)
    > Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
    > Serial number of failed request: 646840
    > Current serial number in output stream: 646840
    >
    > X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext

    i was getting these errors also with the open source driver, but now that i
    uninstalled the ATI prop drivers there are no more such problems.
    probably if i want to correctly install the ATI proprietary drivers i will have
    to completely uninstall the open source driver?

    --
    heavytull
    slackware 12.0

  11. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    I demand that heavytull may or may not have written...

    > Darren Salt wrote:

    [snip]
    >>> 0x32 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
    >>> Segmentation fault

    >> Hmm? Some ATI-provided libraries lying around, perhaps? (I've not seen
    >> glxinfo segfault before...)

    > yeas, i completely uninstalled the proprietary drivers and now there is no
    > more that segfault.

    :-)

    > by the way is that normal the the open source driver doesn't provide direct
    > rendering?

    No. Something's missing or isn't being recognised; check /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

    [snip]
    | + Generate power using sun, wind, water, nuclear. FORGET COAL AND OIL.

    I'd like to, but I have to knit some dust bunnies for a charity bazaar.

  12. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    >> by the way is that normal the the open source driver doesn't provide direct
    >> rendering?

    > No. Something's missing or isn't being recognised; check /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

    Well, for some chipsets, it is normal. It's more about having resolution
    modes and color depths available, than any sort of acceleration. But for
    most you should have DRI. Maybe not 3D acceleration, but DRI. Assuming
    you have the mesa packages installed to handle the 3D rendering.

    http://www.mesa3d.org/

    ii libgl1-mesa-dri 6.5.1-0.6 A free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
    ii libgl1-mesa-glx 6.5.1-0.6 A free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX runtime
    ii libglu1-mesa 6.5.1-0.6 The OpenGL utility library (GLU)
    ii mesa-utils 6.3.2-2.1 Miscellaneous Mesa GL utilities

    Along with others.

    http://freeglut.sourceforge.net/

    ii freeglut3 2.4.0-5 OpenGL Utility Toolkit
    ii libglut3 3.7-25 the OpenGL Utility Toolkit

    In addition to the xorg.conf configuration(s).

    Section "DRI"
    Group "video"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

    But you probably are missing something. Definitely have a look at
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log or whatever log file applies.

    HTH

  13. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 02:41:07 +0000, Darren Salt wrote:

    > No. Something's missing or isn't being recognised; check
    > /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

    I'm pasting here some relevent data in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

    it seems it has a problem of dectection of my hardware.

    (II) RADEON(0): [drm] Initialized kernel GART heap manager, 5111808
    (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
    (**) RADEON(0): Setting up final surfaces
    (**) RADEON(0): Initializing Acceleration
    (II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration unsupported on Radeon 9500/9700 and
    newer.

    rem:my Gcard is a Radeon Mobility X300, look below.

    (II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration disabled
    (**) RADEON(0): EngineInit (32/32)
    (**) RADEON(0): Pitch for acceleration = 160
    (**) RADEON(0): EngineRestore (32/32)
    (II) RADEON(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
    Screen to screen bit blits
    Solid filled rectangles
    8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
    Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion
    Solid Lines
    Scanline Image Writes
    Offscreen Pixmaps
    Setting up tile and stipple cache:
    32 128x128 slots
    32 256x256 slots
    16 512x512 slots
    (II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled
    (**) RADEON(0): Initializing DPMS
    (**) RADEON(0): Initializing Cursor
    (==) RADEON(0): Silken mouse enabled
    (II) RADEON(0): Using hardware cursor (scanline 802)
    (II) RADEON(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1280 x 7385
    (**) RADEON(0): Initializing color map
    (**) RADEON(0): Initializing DGA
    (**) RADEON(0): Initializing Xv
    (II) RADEON(0): Detected Radeon Mobility X300, disabling multimedia i2c
    (II) Loading sub module "theatre_detect"
    (II) LoadModule: "theatre_detect"
    (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/multimedia//theatre_detect_drv.so
    (II) Module theatre_detect: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.2
    (II) RADEON(0): no multimedia table present, disabling Rage Theatre.
    (**) RADEON(0): RADEONScreenInit finished
    (==) RandR enabled
    (==) RandR enabled
    (II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XAccessControlExtension
    (II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
    (II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
    (II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
    (II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
    (II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XEVIE
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is 10, (OK)
    drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is 10, (OK)
    drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 10
    drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2a
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2d
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2e
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31
    (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32
    (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/r300_dri.so
    (II) GLX: Initialized DRI GL provider for screen 0

    > [snip]

  14. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    I demand that heavytull may or may not have written...

    > On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 02:41:07 +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
    >> No. Something's missing or isn't being recognised; check
    >> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

    > I'm pasting here some relevent data in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

    > it seems it has a problem of dectection of my hardware. ...

    [snip]
    > (II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration unsupported on Radeon 9500/9700 and
    > newer.

    That's normal (unless you're using current xf86-video-ati.git, which has
    partial support).

    > rem:my Gcard is a Radeon Mobility X300, look below.

    [snip init]
    [snip AIGLX "claims to not support visual"]

    Nothing unusual there.

    | Kill all extremists!

    Duty is what one expects from others.

  15. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    > (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23

    It's the (WW) and (EE) entries you need to look out for. If you're not
    wanting compiz or fancy visuals, then I'd recommend disabling AIGLX.
    Other than that it did appear to detect your card.

    > (II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled
    > (II) RADEON(0): Detected Radeon Mobility X300, disabling multimedia i2c

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Option "AIGLX" "false"
    Option "xinerama" "false"
    Option "clone" "false"
    EndSection

    Might also fall into SeverLayoutOption(s) (or whatever it's called). But I
    don't normally setup that section myself.

  16. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    Actually glxinfo now says that direct rendering is enabled:

    $ glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes

    I don't know why now it works, while last time i actually rebooted the X
    window after uninstalling proprietary drivers. glwinfo was saying that
    direct rendering was not on. i didn't tune anything since then.

    this is propably because the whole system needed to be rebooted. but i'm
    quite perplex.

    I'm running slack12.0, i have never heard abut compiz in this world.

  17. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    heavytull writes:
    >this is propably because the whole system needed to be rebooted.

    I have had this when experimenting with the proprietary driver on a
    Radeon 9250 some years ago: The free driver worked when freshly
    booted, but not after running X with the proprietary driver.
    Apparently the proprietary did some initialization in parts of the
    graphics card that the free driver does not touch.

    - anton

  18. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 00:59:35 +0000, Darren Salt wrote:

    > http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon has more info. (In the "All
    > Radeons" section, it says "... are not well supported for 3D" for R3xx
    > and R4xx cards; it should, I think, say "are not as well supported for
    > 3D" since support is good enough for many games but you may need to use
    > driconf to enable the "disable low-impact fallbacks" option.)

    what is driconf? it is not packed with slack12.0

  19. Re: the latest ati radeon driver

    http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriConf

    | + Output *more* particulate pollutants. BUFFER AGAINST GLOBAL WARMING.

    Falling is fine. It's the hitting the ground that I don't like.

+ Reply to Thread