new (to me) printer - Hardware

This is a discussion on new (to me) printer - Hardware ; I got my hands on a Citizen GSX-230. I can't find a manual online, there's this weird comparment in the top back left where _something_ can go (more memory? fonts? a spooler?), and the ribbon is one of those that ...

  1. new (to me) printer

    I got my hands on a Citizen GSX-230. I can't find a manual online,
    there's this weird comparment in the top back left where _something_ can
    go (more memory? fonts? a spooler?), and the ribbon is one of those that
    dries out a paper-width at a time. But hey, it was free.

    So does anybody know what I should set CUPS to in order to get the best
    quality output? CUPS (or foomatic, one) doesn't have this (saw some
    Citizen lasers, but no dot matrices). But I read in Citizen's FAQ
    thingy that "The 200GX is a IBM Proprinter III". 200GX is close to
    GSX-230 (sorta), and CUPS has a Proprinter _II_. OK, it prints. It's
    stretched vertically, and the R bit is gone. Margins I may be able to
    fix. Aspect ratio, not so much. Also, this printer supports color
    (presumably by having lengthwise CMYK stripes on the ribbon, not that I
    plan to get a color ribbon). Does the Proprinter II?

    Any help or pointers are appreciated. "RTFM" is cool, but only if you
    point to the FM as well.

    echo "Dot matrix sucks, get a real printer" > /dev/null

    If you need someone to blame
    Throw a rock in the air
    You'll hit someone guilty -- U2, _Zooropa_, "Dirty Day"

  2. Re: new (to me) printer

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 04:07:13 +0000, Hactar wrote:

    > I got my hands on a Citizen GSX-230. I can't find a manual online,
    > there's this weird comparment in the top back left where _something_ can
    > go (more memory? fonts? a spooler?), and the ribbon is one of those that
    > dries out a paper-width at a time. But hey, it was free.
    >
    > So does anybody know what I should set CUPS to in order to get the best
    > quality output? CUPS (or foomatic, one) doesn't have this (saw some
    > Citizen lasers, but no dot matrices). But I read in Citizen's FAQ
    > thingy that "The 200GX is a IBM Proprinter III". 200GX is close to
    > GSX-230 (sorta), and CUPS has a Proprinter _II_. OK, it prints. It's
    > stretched vertically, and the R bit is gone. Margins I may be able to
    > fix. Aspect ratio, not so much. Also, this printer supports color
    > (presumably by having lengthwise CMYK stripes on the ribbon, not that I
    > plan to get a color ribbon). Does the Proprinter II?
    >
    > Any help or pointers are appreciated. "RTFM" is cool, but only if you
    > point to the FM as well.
    >
    > echo "Dot matrix sucks, get a real printer" > /dev/null

    Try this manual:
    http://citizen-systems.custhelp.com/...stems.cfg/php/
    enduser/fattach_get.php?
    p_sid=VwAWvbXi&p_accessibility=0&p_tbl=9&p_id=755&p_created=1130978860&p_olh=0

    If you can... set the printer to use the Epson fx settings and the same
    for cups.

  3. Re: new (to me) printer

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 04:07:13 +0000, Hactar wrote:

    > I got my hands on a Citizen GSX-230. I can't find a manual online,
    > there's this weird comparment in the top back left where _something_ can
    > go (more memory? fonts? a spooler?), and the ribbon is one of those that
    > dries out a paper-width at a time. But hey, it was free.
    >
    > So does anybody know what I should set CUPS to in order to get the best
    > quality output? CUPS (or foomatic, one) doesn't have this (saw some
    > Citizen lasers, but no dot matrices). But I read in Citizen's FAQ
    > thingy that "The 200GX is a IBM Proprinter III". 200GX is close to
    > GSX-230 (sorta), and CUPS has a Proprinter _II_. OK, it prints. It's
    > stretched vertically, and the R bit is gone. Margins I may be able to
    > fix. Aspect ratio, not so much. Also, this printer supports color
    > (presumably by having lengthwise CMYK stripes on the ribbon, not that I
    > plan to get a color ribbon). Does the Proprinter II?
    >
    > Any help or pointers are appreciated. "RTFM" is cool, but only if you
    > point to the FM as well.
    >
    > echo "Dot matrix sucks, get a real printer" > /dev/null

    Watch the line wrap on the previous reply. It is the manual for a
    GSX-190.

  4. Re: new (to me) printer

    In article ,
    Jim Whitby wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 04:07:13 +0000, Hactar wrote:
    >
    > > I got my hands on a Citizen GSX-230. I can't find a manual online,
    > > there's this weird comparment in the top back left where _something_ can
    > > go (more memory? fonts? a spooler?), and the ribbon is one of those that
    > > dries out a paper-width at a time. But hey, it was free.
    > >
    > > So does anybody know what I should set CUPS to in order to get the best
    > > quality output? CUPS (or foomatic, one) doesn't have this (saw some
    > > Citizen lasers, but no dot matrices). But I read in Citizen's FAQ
    > > thingy that "The 200GX is a IBM Proprinter III". 200GX is close to
    > > GSX-230 (sorta), and CUPS has a Proprinter _II_. OK, it prints. It's
    > > stretched vertically, and the R bit is gone. Margins I may be able to
    > > fix. Aspect ratio, not so much. Also, this printer supports color
    > > (presumably by having lengthwise CMYK stripes on the ribbon, not that I
    > > plan to get a color ribbon). Does the Proprinter II?
    > >
    > > Any help or pointers are appreciated. "RTFM" is cool, but only if you
    > > point to the FM as well.
    > >
    > > echo "Dot matrix sucks, get a real printer" > /dev/null

    > Watch the line wrap on the previous reply. It is the manual for a
    > GSX-190.

    Thanks. The 190 is 9 instead of 24 pins; is it otherwise similar?

    > A: It's annoying as hell
    > Q: Why do most people hate top-posting? -- Lots42 The Library Avenger

    http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html

  5. Re: new (to me) printer

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 07:07:13 +0000, Hactar wrote:

    > In article , Jim Whitby
    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 04:07:13 +0000, Hactar wrote:
    >>
    >> > I got my hands on a Citizen GSX-230. I can't find a manual online,
    >> > there's this weird comparment in the top back left where _something_
    >> > can go (more memory? fonts? a spooler?), and the ribbon is one of
    >> > those that dries out a paper-width at a time. But hey, it was free.
    >> >
    >> > So does anybody know what I should set CUPS to in order to get the
    >> > best quality output? CUPS (or foomatic, one) doesn't have this (saw
    >> > some Citizen lasers, but no dot matrices). But I read in Citizen's
    >> > FAQ thingy that "The 200GX is a IBM Proprinter III". 200GX is close
    >> > to GSX-230 (sorta), and CUPS has a Proprinter _II_. OK, it prints.
    >> > It's stretched vertically, and the R bit is gone. Margins I may be
    >> > able to fix. Aspect ratio, not so much. Also, this printer supports
    >> > color (presumably by having lengthwise CMYK stripes on the ribbon,
    >> > not that I plan to get a color ribbon). Does the Proprinter II?
    >> >
    >> > Any help or pointers are appreciated. "RTFM" is cool, but only if
    >> > you point to the FM as well.
    >> >
    >> > echo "Dot matrix sucks, get a real printer" > /dev/null

    >> Watch the line wrap on the previous reply. It is the manual for a
    >> GSX-190.

    > Thanks. The 190 is 9 instead of 24 pins; is it otherwise similar?

    Not sure. Look at the manual, see if its similar in apperances.

    Thats what came up while looking for the 230. Like all the Citizens
    printers I've had access to, it should emulate either Epson or IBM. If
    you can figure out how to.

    I do believe there is a software control code to switch to the mode of
    interest, but its been a long time.

  6. Re: new (to me) printer

    In article ,
    Jim Whitby wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 07:07:13 +0000, Hactar wrote:
    >
    > > In article , Jim Whitby
    > > wrote:

    > >> Watch the line wrap on the previous reply. It is the manual for a
    > >> GSX-190.

    > > Thanks. The 190 is 9 instead of 24 pins; is it otherwise similar?

    > Not sure. Look at the manual, see if its similar in apperances.

    The print style controls and paper thickness lever look the same. I don't
    have any paper, so I can't check out some other things.

    > Thats what came up while looking for the 230. Like all the Citizens
    > printers I've had access to, it should emulate either Epson or IBM. If
    > you can figure out how to.

    I just fed it IBM Proprinter II stuff, and it did OK. Maybe I'll try
    Epson FX-850/EX-800 when I get paper.

    > I do believe there is a software control code to switch to the mode of
    > interest, but its been a long time.

    Might be in Vueprint.

    Yup, seems close enough. Thanks. I wonder if the pin count is the only
    difference, or if the software is different too.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    AQUARIUS: There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the

+ Reply to Thread