OT An interesting Linux device (Cowon A3 video player) - Hardware

This is a discussion on OT An interesting Linux device (Cowon A3 video player) - Hardware ; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855228017 This is a portable music and video player. I bought it for my wife as a present (with 30 GB of memory though). It arrived and looked interesting. It does not require any "software", to the computer it looks ...

  1. OT An interesting Linux device (Cowon A3 video player)

    This is a portable music and video player. I bought it for my wife as
    a present (with 30 GB of memory though). It arrived and looked interesting.

    It does not require any "software", to the computer it looks like a
    USB drive, which it is. So you just copy your movies to it for
    viewing.

    It works fine and handles very many video formats. My wife likes
    movies, so, I hope, she will enjoy it.

    When it booted up, it looked kind of suspiciously linux-y with nice
    blue colors and menus. So I did some searches and learned that it is
    indeed a Linux device. It runs Linux OS inside. Cowon used GPLed
    software, so they were obligated to release their source code. Here's
    something I found for a previous player.

    http://www.cowonglobal.com/download/..._070622.tar.gz

    Very interesting. Many consumer devices, for example TiVO, are also
    Linux based.

  2. Re: OT An interesting Linux device (Cowon A3 video player)

    On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:53:53 -0600, Ignoramus18705 wrote:

    > This is a portable music and video player. I bought it for my wife as
    > a present (with 30 GB of memory though). It arrived and looked interesting.

    Looking at the reviews sounds like it needs to be sent back after a short
    time to be replaced.

    --

    Regards
    Robert

    Smile... it increases your face value!
    Linux User #296285
    http://counter.li.org

  3. Re: OT An interesting Linux device (Cowon A3 video player)

    Ignoramus18705 wrote:

    > This is a portable music and video player. I bought it for my wife as
    > a present (with 30 GB of memory though). It arrived and looked
    > interesting.
    >
    > It does not require any "software", to the computer it looks like a
    > USB drive, which it is. So you just copy your movies to it for
    > viewing.
    >
    > It works fine and handles very many video formats. My wife likes
    > movies, so, I hope, she will enjoy it.
    >
    > When it booted up, it looked kind of suspiciously linux-y with nice
    > blue colors and menus. So I did some searches and learned that it is
    > indeed a Linux device. It runs Linux OS inside. Cowon used GPLed
    > software, so they were obligated to release their source code. Here's
    > something I found for a previous player.
    >
    > http://www.cowonglobal.com/download/..._070622.tar.gz
    >
    > Very interesting. Many consumer devices, for example TiVO, are also
    > Linux based.

    Wow, if you wrote interesting 3 times, its gotta be interesting. How
    interesting.

    - Miguel