Scroll wheel mouse at KVM switch - Hardware

This is a discussion on Scroll wheel mouse at KVM switch - Hardware ; Hello, I have a problem to get a scroll wheel mouse working at my KVM switch. After booting, the scroll wheel works. But when I switch to another computer and then back to the first computer, the scroll wheel no ...

  1. Scroll wheel mouse at KVM switch

    Hello,

    I have a problem to get a scroll wheel mouse working at my KVM switch.

    After booting, the scroll wheel works. But when I switch to another
    computer and then back to the first computer, the scroll wheel no
    longer works (but other mouse functions do). When I unplug and replug
    the mouse, it works again. Replugging the mouse after every switching
    between computers is not an option though.

    Hardware:
    I am using Avocent SwitchView PC KVM-Switch.
    The problem is independent of the particular mouse used. I tried
    Logitec LX5 and a noname mouse.
    Both mice are connected at PS/2 port through PS/2 to USB adapter.
    The mouse works perfectly when connected to the PS/2 port directly
    instead of the switch.

    Software:
    - Problem occurs in both SuSE 10.0 and SuSE 10.3.
    - Data for SuSE 10.0:
    X Window System Version 6.8.2
    Release Date: 9 February 2005
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
    Build Operating System: SuSE Linux [ELF] SuSE
    Current Operating System: Linux diden 2.6.13-15.18-smp #1 SMP Tue
    Oct 2 17:36:20 UTC 2007 x86_64
    - Data for SuSE 10.3:
    X Window System Version 7.2.0
    Release Date: Sun Jan 6 19:47:47 UTC 2008
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
    Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
    Current Operating System: Linux niden 2.6.22.13-0.3-default #1 SMP
    2007/11/19 15:02:58 UTC x86_64
    Build Date: 06 January 2008
    - Scroll wheel works perfectly under Windows, even after switching
    back to first computer.

    Mouse configuration in xorg.conf
    Driver "mouse"
    Identifier "Mouse[3]"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Name" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Protocol" "imps/2"
    Option "Vendor" "PS/2-Mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

    Was configured through YaST. Changing the protocol to explorer ps/2 or
    adding "Buttons" "5" does not change the behaviour.

    I am not familiar enough with the Linux intrinsics to tell what's
    going on. Is it possible that the KVM switch reports a mouse without
    wheel while switched to another computer? And is it possible that when
    switching, Linux detects that the mouse wheel disappears, but when
    switching back it does not detect that the mouse wheel has come back?
    Then how could I stop Linux from probing for the mouse wheel while
    switched away or how could I force it to probe after switching back
    (in another way then replugging)?

    Onno

  2. Re: Scroll wheel mouse at KVM switch

    Hello.

    "Onno Garms" a écrit dans le message de news:
    f580a420-0398-4459-8dbf-4a58090ea8e4...oglegroups.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a problem to get a scroll wheel mouse working at my
    > KVM switch.
    >
    > After booting, the scroll wheel works. But when I switch to
    > another computer and then back to the first computer, the
    > scroll wheel no longer works (but other mouse functions do).
    > When I unplug and replug the mouse, it works again. Replugging
    > the mouse after every switching between computers is not an
    > option though.
    > [...]

    I've got the same problem with a KVM model Ovislink 104 and using Windows
    2000 Pro. And by searching the Web, you can see it is really a general and
    rarely solved problem.

    The generally admitted explanation is: most of KVM only fake a generic 2
    button mouse, and so unplugging/replugging is the only solution that always
    works.

    I'm fed up with that issue and so I think I will "implement" soon the
    following fix:

    - a small subtouch switch embedded under the mouse to fugitively power it
    off whenever the problem occurs.

    The surgical intervention is not so complicated, and only one wire has to be
    interrupted.
    This should easily solve the problem for all wired mice :-)

    Hope it helps.

    --
    Regards.
    --