usb serial adapter driver - Hardware

This is a discussion on usb serial adapter driver - Hardware ; Hi, I can be counted as a newbie in Linux environment. I have a usb to RS232 adapter and its' vendor says that it has Windows drivers but not Linux/Unix. For that reason, I cannot find a suitable driver to ...

  1. usb serial adapter driver

    Hi,

    I can be counted as a newbie in Linux environment.
    I have a usb to RS232 adapter and its' vendor says that it has Windows
    drivers but not Linux/Unix.
    For that reason, I cannot find a suitable driver to install.

    My question is,
    Is there a way for me to use this adapter on Red Hat Linux(or another
    distribution) or is the answer like this - > "You cannot use any
    device(especially plug&play devices) without a driver on Linux because
    there is no built-in driver support in Linux Operating Systems, unlike
    MS Windows".

    Thanks for any help, you can see that my problem is not closely
    related to a specific device, rather it's about basic concepts like
    driver need in Linux.

  2. Re: usb serial adapter driver

    k.sahici wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I can be counted as a newbie in Linux environment.
    > I have a usb to RS232 adapter and its' vendor says that it has
    > Windows drivers but not Linux/Unix.
    > For that reason, I cannot find a suitable driver to install.

    Well, "installing" a driver like it's done under Windows with
    a "setup.exe" is seldomly needed and done under Linux, as most
    drivers sooner or later find their way into the main kernel
    tree.

    This means: After installing one of the popular distributions
    (Debian, Ubuntu, SuSE, RedHat, etc.) you already got 99% of all
    avaliable drivers for Linux installed. The odds are high, that
    among them is also a driver for your USB<->RS232 convertor.

    Why not give it a try: Plug it into your box, running Linux and
    look if it appears as a device (check with dmesg and/or
    in /var/log/messages). Normally USB<->RS232 appear
    as /dev/ttyUSB...

    > Thanks for any help, you can see that my problem is not closely
    > related to a specific device, rather it's about basic concepts
    > like driver need in Linux.

    Any device can be used with Linux, if there's a driver. If
    there's not a driver yet, you can start developing one. The
    biggest obstacle however is, getting the required information
    from the hardware manufator. Then you've to reverse engineer the
    device. However if the manufactor gives you all the information
    you need and want, writing a driver is quite easy.

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  3. Re: usb serial adapter driver

    k.sahici schrub im Jahre 29.01.2008 13:04:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I can be counted as a newbie in Linux environment.
    > I have a usb to RS232 adapter and its' vendor says that it has Windows
    > drivers but not Linux/Unix.
    > For that reason, I cannot find a suitable driver to install.

    Plug your adapter into your USB-Port and call "dmesg". It will tell you
    something about "/dev/ttyUSB0" which is the serial Port assigned to your
    adapter.

    HTH

  4. Re: usb serial adapter driver

    Hi,

    First of all, thank you for your support.

    I've suceeded in installing driver for Red Hat distro.
    Now, my problem is to use it on another distribution(NLPOS 9,
    2.6.5-7.201) which is based on Suse.
    When I plug the Portfolio USB2Serial PL-2303 device in, dmesg shows me
    the lines below
    usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using address 11
    usb 4-1: Product: USB-Serial Controller
    usb 4-1: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.

    Unlike RedHat distro(2.4.18-3), this distro knows even the name of the
    manufacturer. And I think it shows
    that I don't need to install any driver. However, these messages show
    that this serial adapter is not mapped
    to any ttyUSB* file. For that reason,when I try to use /dev/ttyUSB0,
    it doesn't work. I've been searching for hours
    but I cannot find a solution.

    I'll be glad if anyone can help me or give an opinion.
    Thanks

  5. Re: usb serial adapter driver

    In article <2abedf8e-853b-4927-be18-e304de08b173@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    k.sahici wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > First of all, thank you for your support.
    >
    > I've suceeded in installing driver for Red Hat distro.
    > Now, my problem is to use it on another distribution(NLPOS 9,
    > 2.6.5-7.201) which is based on Suse.
    > When I plug the Portfolio USB2Serial PL-2303 device in, dmesg shows me
    > the lines below
    > usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using address 11
    > usb 4-1: Product: USB-Serial Controller
    > usb 4-1: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
    >
    > Unlike RedHat distro(2.4.18-3), this distro knows even the name of the
    > manufacturer. And I think it shows
    > that I don't need to install any driver. However, these messages show
    > that this serial adapter is not mapped
    > to any ttyUSB* file. For that reason,when I try to use /dev/ttyUSB0,
    > it doesn't work. I've been searching for hours
    > but I cannot find a solution.

    I have a USB <-> serial cable which is identified as Prolific something
    or other, and what I needed was in the kernel source:

    Device Drivers --->
    USB support --->
    USB Serial Converter support --->
    USB Prolific 2303 Single Port Serial Driver

    If you wanted it precompiled I guess you could ask your package manager
    (Yast?) to search for "prolific".

    Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one
    stops. The other says, "What's wrong?" "I've lost
    an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

  6. Re: usb serial adapter driver

    Sorry mate, I could not understand what you said exactly.

    Do I need to configure kernel source or sth?
    I thought the lines below shows that the kernel knows my device.
    > usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using address 11
    > usb 4-1: Product: USB-Serial Controller
    > usb 4-1: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.

    If I am wrong, could you please tell me how to add the lines below to
    the kernel source.
    Device Drivers --->
    USB support --->
    USB Serial Converter support --->
    USB Prolific 2303 Single Port Serial Driver

    Thanks for any help

  7. Re: usb serial adapter driver

    In article <26c4c7f3-c2a3-475f-9231-59eb68904087@n77g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
    k.sahici wrote:
    > Sorry mate, I could not understand what you said exactly.
    >
    > Do I need to configure kernel source or sth?
    > I thought the lines below shows that the kernel knows my device.
    > > usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using address 11
    > > usb 4-1: Product: USB-Serial Controller
    > > usb 4-1: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.

    > If I am wrong, could you please tell me how to add the lines below to
    > the kernel source.
    > Device Drivers --->
    > USB support --->
    > USB Serial Converter support --->
    > USB Prolific 2303 Single Port Serial Driver

    I compiled my own kernel from standard source. If you want, you could
    probably use the distro-provided source package to do this. That path
    is steps into the kernel configuration. "make menuconfig" in the kernel
    source directory and you'll see.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81

    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
    hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

+ Reply to Thread