Ever since I've used udev (with debian etch), I find that an attached
USB device prevents me from booting my system, even though in BIOS
I've excluded booting from USB devices.

Here's the error messages:

Begin: Mounting root file system ... ...
Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ...
Done.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ...
Done.
mount: Mounting /dev/sda1 on /root failed: No such device
Begin: Running /scrits/local-bottom ...
mount: Mounting /root/dev on /dev/.startup/dev failed. No such file or
directory
Done.

It seems that with udev I've no device interface files on which to mount
the file system. Does this appear to be so? Is there a work-around so
that I can boot a machine with an attached USB external HD or USB-key?

--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM