wipe broken disk - Hardware

This is a discussion on wipe broken disk - Hardware ; I have several broken harddisks. (increasing amount of badblocks or I/O-errors all the time, S.M.A.R.T-error-count >60.000 and rising ...) The harddisks are all on a staple and are ready for the Trash. However: before dumping I need to wipe them, ...

  1. wipe broken disk

    I have several broken harddisks. (increasing amount of badblocks or
    I/O-errors all the time, S.M.A.R.T-error-count >60.000 and rising ...)

    The harddisks are all on a staple and are ready for the Trash. However:
    before dumping I need to wipe them, cause they still contain sensitive data.

    How to wipe a broken disk? I tried COPYWIPE from ultimatebootdisk as my
    preferred solution, but it takes ages or hangs.

    I could now start dealing with a own set of dd-commands, but maybe there
    is someone who has to deal with this frequently and knows a proven
    reliable solution.

    Drilling is an option, but to be frank: I dont know how to do it and how
    secure/reliable it is. If someone recommends drilling, please dont
    forget to mention the points where the drilling-fun is best
    I'm sysadmin and wanna-be-bikemechanic, so drilling might be a good
    sensation.

    thnx,
    peter

  2. Re: wipe broken disk

    peter pilsl writes:

    > How to wipe a broken disk? I tried COPYWIPE from ultimatebootdisk as
    > my preferred solution, but it takes ages or hangs.

    For whatever it's worth, I used to work for a company that reconditioned
    or trashed used computers from corporations. For disposal of hard disks
    that presumably held sensitive data, we simply took a sledge hammer to
    them and wacked them enough times so that the casing and disks were
    crushed. I don't know if this satisfies the legal requirement, but it
    probably does the moral one.

    --

    Haines Brown, KB1GRM

  3. Re: wipe broken disk

    on Monday 28 January 2008 20:44
    in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware
    peter pilsl wrote:

    > I have several broken harddisks. (increasing amount of badblocks or
    > I/O-errors all the time, S.M.A.R.T-error-count >60.000 and rising ...)
    >
    > The harddisks are all on a staple and are ready for the Trash. However:
    > before dumping I need to wipe them, cause they still contain sensitive
    > data.
    >
    > How to wipe a broken disk? I tried COPYWIPE from ultimatebootdisk as my
    > preferred solution, but it takes ages or hangs.

    It is possible that a disk breaks in such a way that the media (and data)
    remain intact, so the spy/journalist/police/spotty kid only have to pull
    the drive apart and put the spindle in a new box.

    How serious are you? Physical destruction might be your only option.

    > I could now start dealing with a own set of dd-commands, but maybe there
    > is someone who has to deal with this frequently and knows a proven
    > reliable solution.
    >
    > Drilling is an option, but to be frank: I dont know how to do it and how
    > secure/reliable it is. If someone recommends drilling, please dont
    > forget to mention the points where the drilling-fun is best
    > I'm sysadmin and wanna-be-bikemechanic, so drilling might be a good
    > sensation.

    You should have used an encrypted file system before you started and
    then wiped the disks before they broke. ;-)

    Magnetic domains get scrambled if you (thoroughly) heat things to
    the Curie temperature. How hot that is depends on what your disks
    are made of.

    I've heard stories about shredders for hard drives. They must be
    fun.

    Oxy-Acetylene, sandpaper, sledgehammer? Be creative. ;-)

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  4. Re: wipe broken disk

    peter pilsl writes:

    >I have several broken harddisks. (increasing amount of badblocks or
    >I/O-errors all the time, S.M.A.R.T-error-count >60.000 and rising ...)
    >
    >The harddisks are all on a staple and are ready for the Trash. However:
    >before dumping I need to wipe them, cause they still contain sensitive data.
    >
    >How to wipe a broken disk?

    A low-level format should do it. It's even possible that the drives
    are usable again afterwards (depending on what the cause of the bad
    blocks ist).

    The alternative is to destroy the drive mechanically. I would open
    the drive, and then destroy the platters with a hammer. Make sure the
    shards don't hurt you or anyone else (the platters may have a glass
    substrate).

    - anton

  5. Re: wipe broken disk

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:52:04 +1100, "Peter D." wrote:

    >I've heard stories about shredders for hard drives. They must be
    >fun.

    They are, seen it on youtube...

    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  6. Re: wipe broken disk

    On 28 Jan, 09:44, peter pilsl wrote:

    > I could now start dealing with a own set of dd-commands, but maybe there
    > is someone who has to deal with this frequently and knows a proven
    > reliable solution.

    Gas axe. You know it makes sense.

  7. Re: wipe broken disk

    peter pilsl wrote:

    > Drilling is an option, but to be frank: I dont know how to do
    > it and how secure/reliable it is. If someone recommends
    > drilling, please dont forget to mention the points where the
    > drilling-fun is best I'm sysadmin and wanna-be-bikemechanic,
    > so drilling might be a good sensation.

    I'd recommend to open the Harddrive, remove the platters, and
    scratch them (the platters) with Brillo/Ako-Pads

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brillo_Pad
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ako-Pads

    I for myself would also dismount the head drive galvanometers.
    The magnets in those are plenty of fun, but a danger to any
    magnetic media and CRTs, which get get close to them in the
    wrong angle.

    Using a sledgehammer on the platters finishes them off
    definitely. Be carefull though, some disc manufactuers use glass
    a substrace, AFAIK Hitachi is one of them, so be aware of
    shards.

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  8. Re: wipe broken disk

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:44:48 +0100, peter pilsl wrote:

    > I have several broken harddisks. (increasing amount of badblocks or
    > I/O-errors all the time, S.M.A.R.T-error-count >60.000 and rising ...)
    >
    > The harddisks are all on a staple and are ready for the Trash. However:
    > before dumping I need to wipe them, cause they still contain sensitive
    > data.
    >
    > How to wipe a broken disk? I tried COPYWIPE from ultimatebootdisk as my
    > preferred solution, but it takes ages or hangs.
    >
    > I could now start dealing with a own set of dd-commands, but maybe there
    > is someone who has to deal with this frequently and knows a proven
    > reliable solution.
    >
    > Drilling is an option, but to be frank: I dont know how to do it and how
    > secure/reliable it is. If someone recommends drilling, please dont
    > forget to mention the points where the drilling-fun is best I'm
    > sysadmin and wanna-be-bikemechanic, so drilling might be a good
    > sensation.
    >
    > thnx,
    > peter

    An acetylene torch would work quite well.

    I expect you are seeing the 'hangs' because it encounters bad blocks. I'd
    either disassemble and use for jewelery or destroy beyond all recognition.

  9. Re: wipe broken disk

    On 2008-01-28, peter pilsl wrote:

    > How to wipe a broken disk? I tried COPYWIPE from ultimatebootdisk as my
    > preferred solution, but it takes ages or hangs.

    I guess that any kind of wiping program won't wipe the bad blocks.
    Also keep in mind that disks have backup tracks to be more fail safe.

    I would strongly recommend to apply high temperature to these disks
    if you want to be _sure_ that no data can be recovered. Any kind of
    mechanical destruction doesn't wipe the magentical information.
    Thus, it's theoretical possible to recover information.

    High temperatures that reach the curie point of your disks definetly
    wipe all magentic information. So, using a welding device is the
    right thing :-)

    PS. Never ever underestimate your enemy!

    --
    Hans 'the paranoid' Merk

  10. Re: wipe broken disk

    > The harddisks are all on a staple and are ready for the Trash. However:
    > before dumping I need to wipe them, cause they still contain sensitive
    > data.

    The best idea I've come across is to dissolve the platters in a vat of
    acid.

    I've found that most disk drives are fairly easy to open up with the
    removal of a few screws (hint: get a torx driver). With a good pair of
    pliers you can turn a platter stack into a passable ashtray (or paper
    clip tray, or whatever tray).

    The positioner magnets are quite useful for holding things up on a metal
    cabinet; in fact, don't use them if you intend to remove them any time
    soon. As someone else pointed out, they can be hazardous to some media,
    equipment, and fingers if you get in their way.

+ Reply to Thread