boot from usb drive - Hardware

This is a discussion on boot from usb drive - Hardware ; If I install linux to my usb drive is it possible to boot from that drive bypassing my internal hd ? My bios says I can select a usb drive to boot from but I don't know how to make ...

  1. boot from usb drive

    If I install linux to my usb drive is it possible to boot from that
    drive bypassing my internal hd ? My bios says I can select a usb
    drive to boot from but I don't know how to make the drive bootable or
    if it still requires the internal drive.

    Thanks,
    Pete

  2. Re: boot from usb drive

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:56:51 -0800 (PST), Peter wrote:

    >If I install linux to my usb drive is it possible to boot from that
    >drive bypassing my internal hd ?

    Yes

    > My bios says I can select a usb
    >drive to boot from but I don't know how to make the drive bootable or
    >if it still requires the internal drive.

    See: http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/ for an example of how to make
    a bootable USB.

    Grant.
    --