sound detection - Hardware

This is a discussion on sound detection - Hardware ; Hi guys , i have red hat enterprise edition on my comp.But it does not detect my sound card.While other OS do.can any one suggests me the way to fix it up??Thanx in advance....

  1. sound detection

    Hi guys ,
    i have red hat enterprise edition on my comp.But it does not detect my
    sound card.While other OS do.can any one suggests me the way to fix it
    up??Thanx in advance.

  2. Re: sound detection

    abhish_agr@yahoo.co.in staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > [I] have red hat enterprise edition on my [computer.] But it does not
    > detect my sound card, while other [OSes] do.

    RHEL is for servers, not desktops. Servers don't have soundcards. If
    you have a desktop, you want to be using Debian Testing or Gentoo or
    Sabayon or Fedora (Fedora only if you're OK with bugs and permanent-beta
    status).

    > Can any one [suggest to] me the way to fix it up?

    /sbin/lspci | grep -i audio
    # This will tell you the make and model# of the soundcard you have in
    # your machine. grep -ri for that make/model# in /usr/src/linux/sound/
    # to find the name of the module that supports that soundcard. Assign
    # that module name to FOO. If neither lspci nor grep returns useful
    # info, then your pciutils and/or kernel are Too Damn Old and it's time
    # to upgrade both of them.
    modprobe $FOO
    # Now you have sound. Alternatively, you can try
    alsaconf
    # ...but that won't help if your kernel's too old to recognize your
    # soundcard.

    --
    I find that having a pint or two is a good problem-solving technique.
    Especially if it's vodka rather than beer.