Quick question on printers... - Hardware

This is a discussion on Quick question on printers... - Hardware ; Hi group, Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, but this seemed the most likely group to help with my query. I own, and am reasonably happy with an Olivetti Any_Way wireless printer. I have two Linux (Suse 10.3/KDE) ...

  1. Quick question on printers...

    Hi group,

    Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, but this seemed the most
    likely group to help with my query.

    I own, and am reasonably happy with an Olivetti Any_Way wireless
    printer. I have two Linux (Suse 10.3/KDE) desktops and one, identically
    setup Dell laptop. My primary PC is also dual boot, with Windows XP
    installed.

    No drivers for Linux were supplied for the Olivetti and so at the
    moment, if I need to print, I need to boot into windows.

    My question is this... Is there anything available for printers that
    operates in much the same way as NDIS does for wireless cards, enabling
    me to use windows drivers? Failing that, is there any other means of
    using my currently Windows only printer through Linux.

    I have approached Olivetti, but the omens are not good.

    Best regards from a relative newbie,

    Timfy

  2. Re: Quick question on printers...

    > No drivers for Linux were supplied for the Olivetti and so at the
    > moment, if I need to print, I need to boot into windows.

    Just one question.

    Does the manufacturer even provide drivers for all the flavors of windows?
    Win95, Memphis, Win98, WinME, WinNT, WinXP, Win2000, Longhorn, Vista
    (I probably missed a few)

    I would imagine that since it's wireless it should support some sort of
    standard networking protocol (IPP)? Or at least PostScript.

    I recently gave away a printer because it only had drivers for WindowsME
    (Canon MPC 5000). IMO, more printers work in almost any linux distro than
    do in any version of windows. Heck even my high end soundcard doesn't
    work in Vista. But is utterly awesome in linux.

    For win-printers you're probably out of luck. At least for the next
    decade or more. Heck, I can't even find win drivers(95/98/ME) for my win
    modems anymore. Even though they work fine under linux. And used to have
    drivers that seemed to work for windows, when they were bought new. And
    even had updated drivers for several years off the net.

    http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting
    ( aka linuxprinting.org )

    http://cups.org/

    http://hplip.sourceforge.net/

    http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/

    http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...ivetti-Any_Way
    (heh. THIS IS A PAPERWEIGHT.)

    http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...livetti-JP350S
    Works... I guess I should also ask what model do you have?

    http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...Olivetti-JP450
    Partially works...

    http://www.openprinting.org/show_pri...Olivetti-JP470
    Works...