How to make DVD/RW drive work with e.g., Slackware 12. - Hardware

This is a discussion on How to make DVD/RW drive work with e.g., Slackware 12. - Hardware ; No matter what flavor Linux I use my new Sony DVD/CDROM RW drive won't boot from or recognize DVD media. One warning message from Debian said that because I didn't have an 80 wire cable I was restricted to a ...

  1. How to make DVD/RW drive work with e.g., Slackware 12.

    No matter what flavor Linux I use my new Sony DVD/CDROM RW drive won't
    boot from or recognize DVD media. One warning message from Debian said
    that because I didn't have an 80 wire cable I was restricted to a
    speed of 33 units. I also wonder if my AMD cpu etc. purchased some
    years back is limiting me. I can set various boot devices in the bios
    but DVD isn't one. CDROM is and works fine from the same drive.

    I don't have the exact specs on my cpu and motherboard but this is
    what
    dmesg shows:
    /CPU0: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor stepping 02
    SMP motherboard not detected.
    Local APIC not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
    Brought up 1 CPUs
    NET: Registered protocol family 16
    ACPI: bus type pci registered
    PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb620, last bus=1
    PCI: Using configuration type 1
    Setting up standard PCI resources
    ACPI: Interpreter enabled
    ACPI: Using PIC for interrupt routing
    ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (0000:00)
    PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
    Boot video device is 0000:01:05.0
    ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
    idebus=xx

    I think the cpu is an AMD K7 780Mhz

    1. Is the 40 wire cable a killer?
    2. Do I need an upgraded cpu?

    John Culleton

  2. Re: How to make DVD/RW drive work with e.g., Slackware 12.

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > No matter what flavor Linux I use my new Sony DVD/CDROM RW drive won't
    > boot from or recognize DVD media. One warning message from Debian said

    May be teaching you to suck eggs here...

    Have you enabled booting from DVD in BIOS? You need to set the DVD to be
    earlier in the boot order than the hard drive(s).
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  3. Re: How to make DVD/RW drive work with e.g., Slackware 12.

    Peter Chant staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >> No matter what flavor Linux I use my new Sony DVD/CDROM RW drive
    >> won't boot from or recognize DVD media.

    There were some older DVD-ROM units that had a hard time reading DVD+R
    media. If this is a new drive, it should have no problem reading DVD-R,
    DVD+R, and the RW variants. Does it handle DVD-ROM? Does it recognize
    CD-Rs? If it will mount CD-R and won't mount DVD-R, it has a mechanical
    problem or a firmware problem. New drives should have neither of those
    things.

    > Have you enabled booting from DVD in BIOS? You need to set the DVD to
    > be earlier in the boot order than the hard drive(s).

    Yes, you have to do this. However, if it can boot from CD and not boot
    from DVD, BIOS boot order is not the problem.

    --
    One RAID to rule them all, One RAID to bind them
    One RAID to hold the files and in the darkness grind them

  4. Re: How to make DVD/RW drive work with e.g., Slackware 12.

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > Yes, you have to do this. However, if it can boot from CD and not boot
    > from DVD, BIOS boot order is not the problem.

    Good point, missed that line.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  5. Re: How to make DVD/RW drive work with e.g., Slackware 12.

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > Yes, you have to do this. However, if it can boot from CD and not boot
    > from DVD, BIOS boot order is not the problem.

    Another question, will other/older distros boot from DVD? There is a bios
    issue with some systems. I personally know little of this but it has been
    discussed in alt.os.linux.slackware

    pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  6. Re: How to make DVD/RW drive work with e.g., Slackware 12.

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 02:07:22 +0000, Peter Chant wrote:

    >Dances With Crows wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, you have to do this. However, if it can boot from CD and not boot
    >> from DVD, BIOS boot order is not the problem.
    >>

    >Another question, will other/older distros boot from DVD? There is a bios
    >issue with some systems. I personally know little of this but it has been
    >discussed in alt.os.linux.slackware

    Yes, but the noise level in a.o.l.s is a little high at the moment

    Alternate slack-12 boot methods are available, PXE and USB, in the
    usb-and-pxe-installers directory on the install DVD. See the READMEs.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  7. Re: How to make DVD/RW drive work with e.g., Slackware 12.

    Grant wrote:

    > Yes, but the noise level in a.o.l.s is a little high at the moment

    Compared to some other news groups unfortunately it is a model of civility
    and restraint. :-(

    > Alternate slack-12 boot methods are available, PXE and USB, in the
    > usb-and-pxe-installers directory on the install DVD. See the READMEs.
    >
    > Grant.

    I did as a temporary dodge at one point boot Slax from a USB stick and then
    do chroot to the root of an external hard drive. Not quite what the OP
    wants but works in a pinch.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  8. Re: How to make DVD/RW drive work with e.g., Slackware 12.

    On Jan 25, 9:18 pm, Grant wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 02:07:22 +0000, Peter Chant wrote:
    > >Dances With Crows wrote:

    > >> Yes, you have to do this. However, if it can boot from CD and not boot
    > >> from DVD, BIOS boot order is not the problem.

    > >Another question, will other/older distros boot from DVD? There is a bios
    > >issue with some systems. I personally know little of this but it has been
    > >discussed in alt.os.linux.slackware

    > Yes, but the noise level in a.o.l.s is a little high at the moment
    >
    > Alternate slack-12 boot methods are available, PXE and USB, in the
    > usb-and-pxe-installers directory on the install DVD. See the READMEs.
    >
    > Grant.
    > --http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

    Here is another thought. Can I just mount the dvd image on /mnt/cdrom
    and then install from that? I already mounted it on /mnt/cdrom. But I
    assume that I could only install to a different partition, based on
    the fact that you can't be your own grandpa. Still that is an option
    I will explore.

    That doesn't attack the larger problem of how to get the DVD drive
    working in DVD mode, however. My bios dates to 2000 and it doesn't
    have a DVD device as a boot option, only CDR. I can't do anything with
    a movie DVD either.

  9. Re: How to make DVD/RW drive work with e.g., Slackware 12.

    john@wexfordpress.com staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Grant wrote:
    >> Peter Chant wrote:

    You haven't made the problems that this DVD+-RW is having clear. Can it
    read CD-R*s? Can it read DVD+-Rs? Can it read DVD-ROMs? The answers
    to these questions will determine what you need to do.

    >> Alternate slack-12 boot methods are available, PXE and USB, in the
    >> usb-and-pxe-installers directory on the install DVD. See the READMEs.

    > Here is another thought. Can I just mount the dvd image on /mnt/cdrom
    > and then install from that?

    Highly possible.

    > That doesn't attack the larger problem of how to get the DVD drive
    > working in DVD mode, however. My bios dates to 2000 and it doesn't
    > have a DVD device as a boot option, only CDR.

    This shouldn't matter. Both DVDs and CDs typically use El Torito
    emulation, and that's all the BIOS sees. From the BIOS's point of view,
    a DVD is just a larger CD.

    > I can't do anything with a movie DVD either.

    If this is the case, you should have said something about it in your
    *first message*. All movie DVDs have UDF filesystems on them. If you
    insert a movie DVD into a working Linux box with a DVD-+RW, then "mount
    /dev/hdN /mnt/somewhere", it should work. Note that you must replace
    /dev/hdN with the name of the DVD-+RW (/dev/hdc is common, check the
    output of "dmesg | grep DVD" for the full scoop.) If it doesn't work,
    then try dd'ing the first few K off of /dev/hdN. If *that* returns an
    I/O error, it is highly probable that the drive itself is mechanically
    hosed. Hope you saved the receipt in that case.

    --
    I have had to deal with kangaroos, donkeys, cows, wild pigs
    and some press leaks by former Vice President Cheney.

  10. Re: How to make DVD/RW drive work with e.g., Slackware 12.

    "john@wexfordpress.com" (john@wexfordpress.com) writes:
    > On Jan 25, 9:18 pm, Grant wrote:

    >> >Another question, will other/older distros boot from DVD? There is a bios
    >> >issue with some systems. I personally know little of this but it has been
    >> >discussed in alt.os.linux.slackware

    >> Yes, but the noise level in a.o.l.s is a little high at the moment
    >>
    >> Alternate slack-12 boot methods are available, PXE and USB, in the
    >> usb-and-pxe-installers directory on the install DVD. See the READMEs.
    >>
    >> Grant.
    >> --http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

    > Here is another thought. Can I just mount the dvd image on /mnt/cdrom
    > and then install from that? I already mounted it on /mnt/cdrom. But I
    > assume that I could only install to a different partition, based on
    > the fact that you can't be your own grandpa. Still that is an option
    > I will explore.
    >
    > That doesn't attack the larger problem of how to get the DVD drive
    > working in DVD mode, however. My bios dates to 2000 and it doesn't
    > have a DVD device as a boot option, only CDR. I can't do anything with
    > a movie DVD either.

    There's two issues here, the booting and the reading.

    If you can't mount the device, then you might check the box to make
    sure it really can read DVDs. I changed my CDRW drive, and the new
    one was listed as a DVD drive during the boot process, even though it
    wasn't. On a later version of my distribution, there's no word of
    "DVD".

    Or perhaps the drive is dying. I had to replace my DVD drive (read
    only) because it was generating massive amounts of error messages
    every time I used it. I finally replaced it when I couldn't read a
    DVD.

    Watching movies may require the addition of some things, because
    the DVD standard is not open, and some or many distributions won't
    ship all set up to watch DVD movies.

    The bios thing is about setting which drive to boot from, it
    should't be about CD or DVD, but about drive (ie hard drive, floppy,
    CD). If it says "CD" that should be irrelevant, because in order
    to have a bootable DVD, it has to compatible with the CD to
    some extent.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread