New motherboard can't see old drives - Hardware

This is a discussion on New motherboard can't see old drives - Hardware ; The motherboard on my big Linux box blew up last Friday. I've gotten a replacement motherboard (with a bit more CPU power and memory, natch), and now I'm trying to get things back to normal. The original box booted from ...

  1. New motherboard can't see old drives

    The motherboard on my big Linux box blew up last Friday. I've
    gotten a replacement motherboard (with a bit more CPU power and
    memory, natch), and now I'm trying to get things back to normal.

    The original box booted from a 4GB IDE drive, then mounted two
    SATA drives; the first one (200GB) held /usr/local and /home
    (both ReiserFS), while the second drive (320GB) held an XFS
    partition which I mounted as /bigspace.

    I removed the two SATA drives before taking my box into the shop;
    I didn't want someone to accidentally format them while testing
    the new hardware. But even the IDE boot drive, which I left in
    the machine, is intact; it booted the original kernel just fine.

    However, the two SATA drives aren't quite there. The BIOS sees
    and correctly identifies them, but the kernel can't mount them;
    cfdisk can't find them either.

    I'll worry about trivia like Ethernet and X configuration later;
    for now, how do I get the kernel to see those two SATA drives
    (and the 500GB of stuff on them, of course)?

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

  2. Re: New motherboard can't see old drives

    On 23 Jan 08 18:16:35 -0800, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
    >The motherboard on my big Linux box blew up last Friday. I've
    >gotten a replacement motherboard (with a bit more CPU power and
    >memory, natch), and now I'm trying to get things back to normal.

    why the **** don't you post what make and model motherboard it is that
    you're having problems? Or are you just looking for general advice like
    "reach in with a 18" screwdriver and just start poking around"?

    While you're at it, how about posting what kernel version it is that you're
    using?

  3. Re: New motherboard can't see old drives

    In article ,
    aznomad.2@PremoveOBthisOX.COM (AZ Nomad) writes:

    > On 23 Jan 08 18:16:35 -0800, Charlie Gibbs
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The motherboard on my big Linux box blew up last Friday. I've
    >> gotten a replacement motherboard (with a bit more CPU power and
    >> memory, natch), and now I'm trying to get things back to normal.

    > why the **** don't you post what make and model motherboard it is that
    > you're having problems? Or are you just looking for general advice
    > like "reach in with a 18" screwdriver and just start poking around"?

    Gee, I dunno, I figured there might be some configuration setting that
    I was missing - especially since I've already tried rebuilding the
    kernel. I've had pretty good luck in the past with getting everything
    sorted out in software.

    OK, it's an ASRock ALiveNF6G-VSTA motherboard with an Athlon 5000+
    processor and 2GB of DDR-II RAM. (Plus an eGeForce 8400 GS graphics
    card, but I'll worry about X later.) The motherboard has 4 SATA
    connectors on it; I plugged the two drives into the first two
    connectors in the same order they were on the old motherboard.
    The BIOS sees them, which suggests to me that it's more a software
    issue. But hey, I could be wrong...

    However, the box did boot from the IDE drive, just like it did with
    the old motherboard - and things like /etc/passwd and the rc files
    were still there and working as well as they could without the SATA
    drives.

    > While you're at it, how about posting what kernel version it is that
    > you're using?

    Oops, I forgot that the whole world doesn't run Slackware. Version
    10.2 (kernel 2.6.13).

    Let's hope that tomorrow is a better day for both of us.

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

  4. Re: New motherboard can't see old drives

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:16:35 -0800, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

    > The motherboard on my big Linux box blew up last Friday. I've
    > gotten a replacement motherboard (with a bit more CPU power and
    > memory, natch), and now I'm trying to get things back to normal.

    <>>
    > However, the two SATA drives aren't quite there. The BIOS sees
    > and correctly identifies them, but the kernel can't mount them;
    > cfdisk can't find them either.

    Perhaps your kernel needs the modules for the chipset of your new
    motherboard.
    What are the specs on your new motherboard?

  5. Re: New motherboard can't see old drives

    In article ,
    stonerfish@geocities.com (jellybean stonerfish) writes:

    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:16:35 -0800, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
    >
    >> The motherboard on my big Linux box blew up last Friday. I've
    >> gotten a replacement motherboard (with a bit more CPU power and
    >> memory, natch), and now I'm trying to get things back to normal.

    ><>>
    >> However, the two SATA drives aren't quite there. The BIOS sees
    >> and correctly identifies them, but the kernel can't mount them;
    >> cfdisk can't find them either.

    > Perhaps your kernel needs the modules for the chipset of your new
    > motherboard.
    > What are the specs on your new motherboard?

    It's an ASRock ALiveNF6G-VSTA. As you might have guessed from those
    last 4 characters, they make a big deal about it being up to the
    stresses and strains of running Windows Vista. However, I'm trying
    my usual tack of ignoring the Microsoft hype and just bringing up
    Linux on it, a practice which has worked well on several other boxes
    in the past.

    Information in the manual is pretty sketchy; for example, the section
    on SATA drive installation says nothing more than to mount the drive(s)
    in the case and plug in the cables - which, on my old motherboard, was
    all I had to do. As for specifications, the only specific mention of
    SATA is that there are four connectors, and that it supports RAID and
    hot-plugging. Under "Chipset" the manual says "NVIDIA GeForce 6100 /
    nForce 430 or GeForce 6150SE / nForce 430". This sounds like a
    description of the onboard video, which isn't an issue because I'm
    using a separate video card (eGeForce 8400 GS). Presumably the shop
    that replaced the motherboard got all the jumper settings right; the
    video card seems to be working OK (although I haven't tried to get X
    running yet).

    There's a CD provided with the motherboard - strictly Windows, of
    course - and one of the directories on it is \drivers\SATA2\nvidia.
    It seems to contain drivers for 32- and 64-bit versions of Vista.
    Most Linux installations I've done in the past have run right out
    of the box with no special drivers. But who knows, this might be
    the exception that proves the rule.

    I did try going through make menuconfig, reviewing all the specs
    and building a new kernel, in the hopes I'd see something in the
    software configuration that I had missed - but the results were
    the same.

    I'm _really_ hoping that this motherboard doesn't require some
    exotic driver that doesn't yet exist in Linux form. Any pointers
    on Linux SATA would be appreciated, although I'm starting to come
    up with things like http://linuxmafia.org/faq/Hardware/sata.html

    Thanks for the note.

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

  6. Re: New motherboard can't see old drives

    I demand that Charlie Gibbs may or may not have written...

    > In article ,
    > stonerfish@geocities.com (jellybean stonerfish) writes:
    >> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:16:35 -0800, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

    [snip]
    >>> However, the two SATA drives aren't quite there. The BIOS sees
    >>> and correctly identifies them, but the kernel can't mount them;
    >>> cfdisk can't find them either.

    >> Perhaps your kernel needs the modules for the chipset of your new
    >> motherboard. What are the specs on your new motherboard?

    [snip]
    > Under "Chipset" the manual says "NVIDIA GeForce 6100 / nForce 430 or
    > GeForce 6150SE / nForce 430". This sounds like a description of the onboard
    > video,

    "GeForce" is. "nForce" is the board's chipset.

    > which isn't an issue because I'm using a separate video card (eGeForce 8400
    > GS). Presumably the shop that replaced the motherboard got all the jumper
    > settings right; the video card seems to be working OK (although I haven't
    > tried to get X running yet).

    nv? nouveau?

    [snip]
    > I did try going through make menuconfig, reviewing all the specs and
    > building a new kernel, in the hopes I'd see something in the software
    > configuration that I had missed - but the results were the same.

    You've probably missed either sd_mod or sata_nv; however, if you're using a
    kernel >= 2.6.20 (IIRC) with a config from an older kernel, updated using
    "make oldconfig" or similar, you'll have lost the SATA configuration options
    from the older kernel.

    Device Drivers → SCSI device support → SCSI disk support
    Device Drivers → Serial ATA [...] drivers → NVIDIA SATA support

    [snip]
    | + Lobby friends, family, business, government. WE'RE KILLING THE PLANET.

    We came. We assimilated. We left.

  7. Re: New motherboard can't see old drives

    "Charlie Gibbs" writes:
    >Under "Chipset" the manual says "NVIDIA GeForce 6100 /
    >nForce 430 or GeForce 6150SE / nForce 430".

    AFAIK Nvidia chipsets support ahci as well as other modes, and you may
    have to set the mode correctly in the BIOS to be able to access the
    existing data on the drives (at least I have read that that's the case
    with Intel chipsets).

    - anton

  8. Re: New motherboard can't see old drives

    "Charlie Gibbs" writes:
    >However, the two SATA drives aren't quite there. The BIOS sees
    >and correctly identifies them, but the kernel can't mount them;
    >cfdisk can't find them either.

    What device names are you using to access the drives? Normally SATA
    drives are accessed like SCSI disks (sda sdb sdc etc.), but if you
    enable PATA emulation in the BIOS, maybe you see them like PATA drives
    (hda hdb hdc hdd).

    - anton

  9. Re: New motherboard can't see old drives

    Oops! My bad. It should be http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)