LCD Monitor blank on first boot-up.... - Hardware

This is a discussion on LCD Monitor blank on first boot-up.... - Hardware ; This is the situation: Ubuntu and a couple of Linux distros installed *only*. No name, LCD Monitor 1280x1024, (hengin CP190DVI 19") horizontal: 31-80 vertical: 60-75 Graphic Card nVidia GeForce 5500 AGP Slot connected via DVI to the PC (AMD Dual ...

  1. LCD Monitor blank on first boot-up....

    This is the situation:
    Ubuntu and a couple of Linux distros installed *only*.

    No name, LCD Monitor 1280x1024, (hengin CP190DVI 19")
    horizontal: 31-80
    vertical: 60-75

    Graphic Card
    nVidia GeForce 5500
    AGP Slot
    connected via DVI to the PC (AMD Dual Core X2 3800+ "Windsor CPU)

    When I boot up the PC for the first time, the Monitor
    *remains* blank, there is a flickering LED (switching from
    green to yellow) during the boot-process, but no messages
    (Bios version etc.etc) then the "Nvidia" logo appears, after
    that gnome log-in. From that point on it's smooth sailing.
    Now the weird thing is, after a few hours (haven't tried a
    shorter interval yet) when I reboot the PC all the messages
    can be seen I get the grub menu etc.

    The Graphic card is fairly new (about two month old) Monitor
    is in use for about a few months....

    When I connect it to the D-Sub connector I don't have this problem.

    Keeping the PC running all the time is no option here.

    Any hints what might cause this strange behavior?

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."

  2. Re: LCD Monitor blank on first boot-up....

    On 2008-01-16, Dragomir Kollaric hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > This is the situation:
    > Ubuntu and a couple of Linux distros installed *only*.
    >
    > No name, LCD Monitor 1280x1024, (hengin CP190DVI 19")
    > horizontal: 31-80
    > vertical: 60-75
    >
    > Graphic Card
    > nVidia GeForce 5500
    > AGP Slot
    > connected via DVI to the PC (AMD Dual Core X2 3800+ "Windsor CPU)

    If it helps the motherboard is:
    ASrock AM2NF3-VSTA

    > When I boot up the PC for the first time, the Monitor
    > *remains* blank, there is a flickering LED (switching from
    > green to yellow) during the boot-process, but no messages
    > (Bios version etc.etc) then the "Nvidia" logo appears, after
    > that gnome log-in. From that point on it's smooth sailing.
    > Now the weird thing is, after a few hours (haven't tried a
    > shorter interval yet) when I reboot the PC all the messages
    > can be seen I get the grub menu etc.
    >
    > The Graphic card is fairly new (about two month old) Monitor
    > is in use for about a few months....
    >
    > When I connect it to the D-Sub connector I don't have this problem.

    Actually this is incorrect, D-Sub seems to be even worse.
    The Monitor flickers on and on, until the logo Nvidia appears.

    > Keeping the PC running all the time is no option here.
    >
    > Any hints what might cause this strange behavior?
    >

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    BTW thanks for all the hints and tips so far :-)

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Q: Do you know what the death-rate around here is?
    A: One per person!

+ Reply to Thread