TV card - Hardware

This is a discussion on TV card - Hardware ; My brain hurts! So many options, so many potential pitfalls. I'm thinking of getting a Dell Vostro slimline tower, install Ubuntu to run headless, and turn it into a backup server/webserver and PVR. My TV will be plugged into the ...

  1. TV card

    My brain hurts! So many options, so many potential pitfalls.

    I'm thinking of getting a Dell Vostro slimline tower, install Ubuntu to
    run headless, and turn it into a backup server/webserver and PVR. My TV
    will be plugged into the back of it (I'm thinking via an S-video to
    SCART converter).

    My first question is, and this is going to sound really stupid: are all
    PCI slots the same standard height at the back? I've been hearing about
    "half-height" PCI cards, so I want to make sure that there are no
    gotchas trying to install PCI cards in slimline towers.

    Next up: TV tuners. I live in the UK. I can currently only receive
    analog signals, and me and my dad are a bit confused about what's going
    to happen when the UK does the digital switchover. I must be capable of
    receiving analog, but if I can buy something that is compatible with
    analog and digital, that'd be great.

    I want to be able to watch TV and record a different program at the same
    time. I also want a remote control with it.

    What would also be nice is if I could record the signals off my dad's
    video recorder, which outputs using A/V jacks (unless I'm wrong, of course).

    What should I buy?

    Thanks for any help that you can offer.

  2. Re: TV card

    I demand that mark carter may or may not have written...

    [snip]
    > Next up: TV tuners. I live in the UK. I can currently only receive analog
    > signals, and me and my dad are a bit confused about what's going to happen
    > when the UK does the digital switchover. I must be capable of receiving
    > analog,

    Analogue, surely. ;-)

    > but if I can buy something that is compatible with analog and digital,
    > that'd be great.

    http://linuxtv.org/wiki/
    http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/
    uk.comp.os.linux ...

    It's probably best to forget about analogue unless you want to transfer the
    content of video tapes. (Admittedly, the analogue switch-off is 4¾ years away
    where I am, but that hasn't stopped me from ignoring analogue.)

    I use two Nova-Ts (Conexant chipset) and, sometimes, a Nova-T Stick.

    > I want to be able to watch TV and record a different program

    Programme. Are you _sure_ that you're in the UK? ;-)

    Anyway, watching one channel and recording from another works even with a
    single tuner (such as each device that I have has), so long as they're both
    on the same frequency.

    If you want to use both digital and analogue at the same time, two cards
    *may* be required.

    If you want to, for example, watch BBC3 and record from ITV3, you'll need two
    tuners.

    > at the same time. I also want a remote control with it.

    Many DVB devices have bundled remote controls; you shouldn't have a problem
    there.

    > What would also be nice is if I could record the signals off my dad's video
    > recorder, which outputs using A/V jacks (unless I'm wrong, of course).

    A stand-alone DVD video recorder is a reasonable option for this. You can use
    a program such as dvdrip to copy the video data from the disc.

    > What should I buy?

    For DVB-T alone, my choice would currently be a pair of Nova-T PCI cards or a
    Nova-T 500; for the latter, though, you should currently compile drivers from
    the v4l-dvb repository or wait for Linux kernel 2.6.24 (or use an -rc
    kernel).

    For analogue, don't ask me...

    | + Buy less and make it last longer. INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

    Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone.

  3. Re: TV card

    Darren Salt wrote:
    > I demand that mark carter may or may not have written...
    >
    > [snip]
    >> Next up: TV tuners. I live in the UK. I can currently only receive analog
    >> signals, and me and my dad are a bit confused about what's going to happen
    >> when the UK does the digital switchover. I must be capable of receiving
    >> analog,

    > Analogue, surely. ;-)

    I tend to Americanise things But don't worry, I still have a roast on
    Sunday.

    >> but if I can buy something that is compatible with analog and digital,
    >> that'd be great.

    > http://linuxtv.org/wiki/
    > http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/
    > uk.comp.os.linux ...
    >
    > It's probably best to forget about analogue unless you want to transfer the
    > content of video tapes. (Admittedly, the analogue switch-off is 4¾ years away
    > where I am, but that hasn't stopped me from ignoring analogue.)

    Well, we can only get analogue just now. We tried messing around with
    digital a couple of years ago, and it didn't work. Our plan is for dad
    and I to worry about it when the time comes. If plan it could be called.

    > Anyway, watching one channel and recording from another works even with a
    > single tuner (such as each device that I have has), so long as they're both
    > on the same frequency.

    You mean *exactly* the same? I don't think I can record BBC1 but watch
    BBC2. I don't have much call for recording something that I'm actually
    watching. Maybe some people do, but it sounds a bit odd to me

    > If you want to use both digital and analogue at the same time, two cards
    > *may* be required.

    I wont want to do both at the same time.

    > A stand-alone DVD video recorder is a reasonable option for this. You can use
    > a program such as dvdrip to copy the video data from the disc.

    Thanks for the tip!

  4. Re: TV card

    mark carter writes:

    > Darren Salt wrote:
    >> Anyway, watching one channel and recording from another works even with a
    >> single tuner (such as each device that I have has), so long as they're both
    >> on the same frequency.

    > You mean *exactly* the same? I don't think I can record BBC1 but watch
    > BBC2.

    Most of the BBC channels (all but BBC4) use the same frequency on
    Freeview, so you can watch/record any combination of them at the same
    time.

    > I don't have much call for recording something that I'm actually
    > watching. Maybe some people do, but it sounds a bit odd to me

    Do you ever watch a recording twice?

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  5. Re: TV card

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 19:36:07 +0000, mark carter wrote:

    > My brain hurts! So many options, so many potential pitfalls.

    .... snipped...

    > My first question is, and this is going to sound really stupid: are all
    > PCI slots the same standard height at the back? I've been hearing about
    > "half-height" PCI cards, so I want to make sure that there are no
    > gotchas trying to install PCI cards in slimline towers.

    There are 'short', 'half-height' PCI cards are are only 2"-ish tall.
    They have a 'stubby' looking 'L' bracket that is 2.5" tall-ish compared
    to a standard PCI 'L' bracket that is 4.75" tall. Some times the box will
    contain both the short and standard 'L' bracket and you can put either
    one on one of those half-height cards.

    ....now some 'slim-line' cases include a 'riser card that has you mount
    a standard pci card side-wise in the case... so they would use a standard
    pci card... some want you to use these new, half-height cards... it just
    depends on the case...

    jack

    ....snipped....

    > Thanks for any help that you can offer.

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  6. Re: TV card

    Jack Snodgrass writes:

    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 19:36:07 +0000, mark carter wrote:
    >
    >> My first question is, and this is going to sound really stupid: are all
    >> PCI slots the same standard height at the back? I've been hearing about
    >> "half-height" PCI cards, so I want to make sure that there are no
    >> gotchas trying to install PCI cards in slimline towers.

    > ...now some 'slim-line' cases include a 'riser card that has you mount
    > a standard pci card side-wise in the case... so they would use a standard
    > pci card... some want you to use these new, half-height cards... it just
    > depends on the case...

    The trouble with using a riser is that it usually blocks most of the
    slots on the board, meaning you can generally only fit one (sometimes
    two) cards.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  7. Re: TV card

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:38:14 +0000, Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > Jack Snodgrass writes:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 19:36:07 +0000, mark carter wrote:
    >>
    >>> My first question is, and this is going to sound really stupid: are
    >>> all PCI slots the same standard height at the back? I've been hearing
    >>> about "half-height" PCI cards, so I want to make sure that there are
    >>> no gotchas trying to install PCI cards in slimline towers.

    >> ...now some 'slim-line' cases include a 'riser card that has you mount
    >> a standard pci card side-wise in the case... so they would use a
    >> standard pci card... some want you to use these new, half-height
    >> cards... it just depends on the case...

    > The trouble with using a riser is that it usually blocks most of the
    > slots on the board, meaning you can generally only fit one (sometimes
    > two) cards.

    .... didn't say it was a good thing... also... if this is really a
    slim line type of case... you don't have space for a lot of PCI cards
    anyway... so blocking all but one or two is the idea anyway....

    slim line cases are nice... but your limited to what you can cram in
    there... also... they generally use 150 - 200 watt PS that are fitted
    for the case.... another consideration. These are not setups that you
    get if you want to add a lot of stuff later....

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  8. Re: TV card

    Jack Snodgrass wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:38:14 +0000, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >
    >> Jack Snodgrass writes:

    >>> ...now some 'slim-line' cases include a 'riser card that has you mount
    >>> a standard pci card side-wise in the case... so they would use a
    >>> standard pci card... some want you to use these new, half-height
    >>> cards... it just depends on the case...

    >> The trouble with using a riser is that it usually blocks most of the
    >> slots on the board, meaning you can generally only fit one (sometimes
    >> two) cards.

    > ... didn't say it was a good thing... also... if this is really a
    > slim line type of case... you don't have space for a lot of PCI cards
    > anyway... so blocking all but one or two is the idea anyway....
    >
    > slim line cases are nice... but your limited to what you can cram in
    > there... also... they generally use 150 - 200 watt PS that are fitted
    > for the case.... another consideration. These are not setups that you
    > get if you want to add a lot of stuff later....

    I've ruled out the use of a slimline case as being too problematical for
    what I want. Pity, because the Vostro slimline looks really neat. Being
    a Mac owner, I'm not fond of butt-ugly space-hogging breeze-blocks.

  9. Re: TV card

    i had the same problem as you i got my self a freeview box and plugged that
    into the back of the tv card then you can plug a video or dvd into the
    freeview box.

    i found that trying to get a freeview signal into the capture card was crap
    the freeview box sorted that out.

    As for the tv capture card i am still looking for a tv card that will work
    in linux but i will try what has been recommended here.

    the above was done in windows i just could not get my hauppauge hvr 1100 tv
    card to work/

+ Reply to Thread