1900 x 1200 Graphics Card recommendation - Hardware

This is a discussion on 1900 x 1200 Graphics Card recommendation - Hardware ; Hi, I just installed Suse Enterprise 9 on a box with Matrox Parhelia card. After installation of the Matrox drivers, highest resolution I can set is 1600x1200 while the card should support 1920x1440. My 24'' Samsung 245B display supports up ...

  1. 1900 x 1200 Graphics Card recommendation

    Hi,

    I just installed Suse Enterprise 9 on a box with Matrox Parhelia card. After installation of the Matrox drivers, highest resolution I can set is 1600x1200 while the card should support 1920x1440. My 24'' Samsung 245B display supports up to 1920x1200 and looks best at this maximum resolution.

    Is there any recommandation for graphics adapters that run well under Linux (Suse) and support 1920x1200?

    Thanks for any hint.

    Andreas

  2. Re: 1900 x 1200 Graphics Card recommendation

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:58:39 +0100, Andreas Thiele wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just installed Suse Enterprise 9 on a box with Matrox Parhelia card.
    > After installation of the Matrox drivers, highest resolution I can set
    > is 1600x1200 while the card should support 1920x1440. My 24'' Samsung
    > 245B display supports up to 1920x1200 and looks best at this maximum
    > resolution.
    >
    > Is there any recommandation for graphics adapters that run well under
    > Linux (Suse) and support 1920x1200?
    >

    > Thanks for any hint.
    >
    > Andreas

    You might be able to get your current card to do it be throwing some
    switch in the xorg.conf file. I have an old Nvidia 5700 card which will
    only run at 1920x1200 if I turn off the Max Pixel Clock check,
    Driver
    Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck"

    This is an Nvidia option, it's possible that there is something similar
    for Matrox.

    If you can't figure out how to get the Matrox card to support your
    monitor then you might want to consider getting a reasonably recent model
    Nvidia card, just check the specs on Newegg to see if that resolution is
    supported.

  3. Re: 1900 x 1200 Graphics Card recommendation

    "Andreas Thiele" writes:
    >Is there any recommandation for graphics adapters that run well under =
    >Linux (Suse) and support 1920x1200?

    I have good experiences with a Radeon 7000 using the free "radeon"
    driver. Any ATI card up to the X850XT should work well. The driver
    work for newer cards has probably not yet made it into Suse Enterprise
    9, but maybe it has (after all, Novell/Suse is very active in
    developing the driver); but even then, the driver may not have the
    capabilities you want (does it support hardware 2D acceleration yet?).

    - anton

  4. Re: 1900 x 1200 Graphics Card recommendation

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:58:39 +0100, Andreas Thiele wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just installed Suse Enterprise 9 on a box with Matrox Parhelia card. After installation of the Matrox drivers, highest resolution I can set is 1600x1200 while the card should support 1920x1440. My 24'' Samsung 245B display supports up to 1920x1200 and looks best at this maximum resolution.
    >
    > Is there any recommandation for graphics adapters that run well under Linux (Suse) and support 1920x1200?
    >

    > Thanks for any hint.
    >
    > Andreas

    FWIW - Are you sure you can't? I recently got a 19" widescreen 1440x900.
    On one computer with Ubuntu and Nvidia card, it was straight forward to
    set up. On my mini-itx (VIA chipset) with Gentoo it was a little more
    challenging, but finally got there and it works find on both systems via
    KVM switch.

  5. Re: 1900 x 1200 Graphics Card recommendation

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:58:39 +0100, Andreas Thiele wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just installed Suse Enterprise 9 on a box with Matrox Parhelia card.
    >> After installation of the Matrox drivers, highest resolution I can set
    >> is 1600x1200 while the card should support 1920x1440. My 24'' Samsung
    >> 245B display supports up to 1920x1200 and looks best at this maximum
    >> resolution.
    >>
    >> Is there any recommandation for graphics adapters that run well under
    >> Linux (Suse) and support 1920x1200?
    >>

    >> Thanks for any hint.
    >>
    >> Andreas

    > You might be able to get your current card to do it be throwing some
    > switch in the xorg.conf file. I have an old Nvidia 5700 card which will
    > only run at 1920x1200 if I turn off the Max Pixel Clock check,
    > Driver
    > Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck"
    >
    > This is an Nvidia option, it's possible that there is something similar
    > for Matrox.
    >
    > If you can't figure out how to get the Matrox card to support your
    > monitor then you might want to consider getting a reasonably recent model
    > Nvidia card, just check the specs on Newegg to see if that resolution is
    > supported.

    Thanks for you hint. Previously I tried to configure the display using Yast. Searching
    through the sources and docus for your option I found installation hints which had been
    automatically deleted by the installer. Matrox explictely explains 1920x1200 by manually
    adding a modeline to XF86Config. With this manual modeline Parhelia now works fine!
    Now I wont touch Yast display configuration again

    Thanks
    Andreas

  6. Re: 1900 x 1200 Graphics Card recommendation

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:02:29 +0100, Andreas Thiele wrote:

    > General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:58:39 +0100, Andreas Thiele wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I just installed Suse Enterprise 9 on a box with Matrox Parhelia card.
    >>> After installation of the Matrox drivers, highest resolution I can set
    >>> is 1600x1200 while the card should support 1920x1440. My 24'' Samsung
    >>> 245B display supports up to 1920x1200 and looks best at this maximum
    >>> resolution.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any recommandation for graphics adapters that run well under
    >>> Linux (Suse) and support 1920x1200?
    >>>

    >>> Thanks for any hint.
    >>>
    >>> Andreas

    >> You might be able to get your current card to do it be throwing some
    >> switch in the xorg.conf file. I have an old Nvidia 5700 card which will
    >> only run at 1920x1200 if I turn off the Max Pixel Clock check, Driver
    >> Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck"
    >>
    >> This is an Nvidia option, it's possible that there is something similar
    >> for Matrox.
    >>
    >> If you can't figure out how to get the Matrox card to support your
    >> monitor then you might want to consider getting a reasonably recent
    >> model Nvidia card, just check the specs on Newegg to see if that
    >> resolution is supported.

    > Thanks for you hint. Previously I tried to configure the display using
    > Yast. Searching through the sources and docus for your option I found
    > installation hints which had been automatically deleted by the
    > installer. Matrox explictely explains 1920x1200 by manually adding a
    > modeline to XF86Config. With this manual modeline Parhelia now works
    > fine! Now I wont touch Yast display configuration again
    >
    > Thanks
    > Andreas

    You might want to post the modeline here so that other users of your card
    will know what to do.

  7. Re: 1900 x 1200 Graphics Card recommendation

    I demand that Anton Ertl may or may not have written...

    > "Andreas Thiele" writes:
    >> Is there any recommandation for graphics adapters that run well under =
    >> Linux (Suse) and support 1920x1200?

    > I have good experiences with a Radeon 7000 using the free "radeon" driver.
    > Any ATI card up to the X850XT should work well.

    X1050 too; https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver. (I remember
    reading somewhere that it's a faster version of the X300.)

    [snip]
    | Kill all extremists!

    The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

  8. Re: 1900 x 1200 Graphics Card recommendation

    Andreas Thiele wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just installed Suse Enterprise 9 on a box with Matrox Parhelia card. After installation of the Matrox drivers, highest resolution I can set is 1600x1200 while the card should support 1920x1440. My 24'' Samsung 245B display supports up to 1920x1200 and looks best at this maximum resolution.
    >
    > Is there any recommandation for graphics adapters that run well under Linux (Suse) and support 1920x1200?

    I have run DUAL 1920x1200 monitors using Nvidia cards. 6600GT, 7600GT.

  9. Re: 1900 x 1200 Graphics Card recommendation

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:02:29 +0100, Andreas Thiele wrote:
    >
    >> General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    >>> You might be able to get your current card to do it be throwing some
    >>> switch in the xorg.conf file. I have an old Nvidia 5700 card which will
    >>> only run at 1920x1200 if I turn off the Max Pixel Clock check, Driver
    >>> Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck"
    >>>
    >>> This is an Nvidia option, it's possible that there is something similar
    >>> for Matrox.
    >>>
    >>> If you can't figure out how to get the Matrox card to support your
    >>> monitor then you might want to consider getting a reasonably recent
    >>> model Nvidia card, just check the specs on Newegg to see if that
    >>> resolution is supported.

    >> Thanks for you hint. Previously I tried to configure the display using
    >> Yast. Searching through the sources and docus for your option I found
    >> installation hints which had been automatically deleted by the
    >> installer. Matrox explictely explains 1920x1200 by manually adding a
    >> modeline to XF86Config. With this manual modeline Parhelia now works
    >> fine! Now I wont touch Yast display configuration again
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Andreas

    > You might want to post the modeline here so that other users of your card
    > will know what to do.

    Yes, of course.

    Actually it is simple. One has to read the installation hints. Matrox supplies two
    documents: 'Release Notes' = readme-1.4.5.txt and 'Advanced Release Notes'
    = readme-advanced-1.4.5.txt.

    Advanced Release Notes contain 'Section 04 - Display Resolution support'.
    First paragraph in Subsection '1 - Special resolutions support' of 'Section 04'
    contains an example "Monitor" Section which works with my Samsung 245b
    display:

    "For example:

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor1"
    Modeline "1920x1200" 154.0 1920 1968 2000 2080 1200 1203
    1209 1235
    EndSection"

    It might as well be helpful to know, you can run the installer with option
    --extract-only which leaves all sources and these release notes on your
    machine after installation.

    These release notes can also be downloaded separately as hinted during the
    download procedure.

    Hope this helps

    Andreas

+ Reply to Thread