Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome? - Hardware ; Has anyone found a fix for setting the screen resolution with the nVidia drivers in Linux? I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get Suse 10.3 with Gnome 2.20 to display the 1680x1050@60 lcd screen resolution. It only works ...

  1. Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome?

    Has anyone found a fix for setting the screen resolution with the nVidia
    drivers in Linux?

    I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get Suse 10.3 with Gnome 2.20 to
    display the 1680x1050@60 lcd screen resolution. It only works with the
    DVI connection but when that's switched to a VGA connection the
    resolution reverts to 1024x768@60.

    Graphics and Monitor are correctly set in xorg.conf and by use of Sax2.
    Modes in xorg.conf are set for 1680x1050 but testing Sax2 or reboot the
    resolution remains 1024x768 connected to the VGA adapter.

    I'm using VGA KVM-A switch which is why I use the VGA connectors. This
    wasn't a problem with my ATI video card which properly adjusted the
    resolution once it was set by Sax2.

    Gf8600GT
    Suse 10.3
    AOC 22lwvk

    Thanks

  2. Re: Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome?

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:44:09 +0000, noi ance wrote:

    > Has anyone found a fix for setting the screen resolution with the nVidia
    > drivers in Linux?
    >
    > I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get Suse 10.3 with Gnome 2.20 to
    > display the 1680x1050@60 lcd screen resolution. It only works with the
    > DVI connection but when that's switched to a VGA connection the
    > resolution reverts to 1024x768@60.
    >
    > Graphics and Monitor are correctly set in xorg.conf and by use of Sax2.
    > Modes in xorg.conf are set for 1680x1050 but testing Sax2 or reboot the
    > resolution remains 1024x768 connected to the VGA adapter.
    >
    > I'm using VGA KVM-A switch which is why I use the VGA connectors. This
    > wasn't a problem with my ATI video card which properly adjusted the
    > resolution once it was set by Sax2.
    >
    > Gf8600GT
    > Suse 10.3
    > AOC 22lwvk
    >
    > Thanks

    Does 'xrandr' show the higher resolutions?

  3. Re: Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome?

    noi ance wrote:

    > Has anyone found a fix for setting the screen resolution with
    > the nVidia drivers in Linux?
    >
    > I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get Suse 10.3 with Gnome
    > display the 1680x1050@60 lcd screen resolution. It only works
    > with the DVI connection but when that's switched to a VGA
    > connection the resolution reverts to 1024x768@60.

    The problem is not related to Gnome, it's just a X11/X.Org thing.
    Probably the driver reads a wrong EDID from the monitor. Use
    the "IgnoreEDID" option, to make the driver ignore any hardware
    detection. Then hardset the resolution you want, eventually by
    supplying own modelines.

    Don't use SAX(2). IMHO this program creates the worst xorg.conf
    files I can think of.

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  4. Re: Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome?

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:44:09 +0000, noi ance wrote:

    > Has anyone found a fix for setting the screen resolution with the nVidia
    > drivers in Linux?
    >
    > I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get Suse 10.3 with Gnome 2.20 to
    > display the 1680x1050@60 lcd screen resolution. It only works with the
    > DVI connection but when that's switched to a VGA connection the
    > resolution reverts to 1024x768@60.
    >
    > Graphics and Monitor are correctly set in xorg.conf and by use of Sax2.
    > Modes in xorg.conf are set for 1680x1050 but testing Sax2 or reboot the
    > resolution remains 1024x768 connected to the VGA adapter.
    >
    > I'm using VGA KVM-A switch which is why I use the VGA connectors. This
    > wasn't a problem with my ATI video card which properly adjusted the
    > resolution once it was set by Sax2.
    >
    > Gf8600GT
    > Suse 10.3
    > AOC 22lwvk

    Try using the following:

    nvidia-settings

    It can be started from the CLI

    --

    Regards
    Robert

    Smile... it increases your face value!
    Linux User #296285
    http://counter.li.org

  5. Re: Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome?

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 02:38:44 +0100, Wolfgang Draxinger typed this message:

    > noi ance wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone found a fix for setting the screen resolution with the
    >> nVidia drivers in Linux?
    >>
    >> I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get Suse 10.3 with Gnome 2.20 to
    >> display the 1680x1050@60 lcd screen resolution. It only works with the
    >> DVI connection but when that's switched to a VGA connection the
    >> resolution reverts to 1024x768@60.

    > The problem is not related to Gnome, it's just a X11/X.Org thing.
    > Probably the driver reads a wrong EDID from the monitor. Use the
    > "IgnoreEDID" option, to make the driver ignore any hardware detection.
    > Then hardset the resolution you want, eventually by supplying own
    > modelines.
    >
    > Don't use SAX(2). IMHO this program creates the worst xorg.conf files I
    > can think of.
    >
    > Wolfgang Draxinger

    Thanks very much Wolfgang. I'll try that, I assume it goes somewhere in
    the xorg.conf for monitors?

    After setting up the SuSe connected to the DVI port of the display,
    switching back to VGA port doesn't send a signal, so I'm looking at a
    blank screen when I switch PCs.

    It's the same problem with WinXP-SP2. No matter what is specified for
    the monitor it always reverts to VGA. By un-hiding "unsupported display
    modes" I can get XP to 1600x1200@60 VGA resolution, it's either the
    nVidia hardware or nVidia driver problem.

    xrandr in SuSe 10.3 returns "no adapter found".

    I'm using the rpm package recommended by nVidia for SuSE 10.3 but I'll
    look for nvidia-settings.

    The ATI cards or drivers work correctly, ie, displays 1680x1050@60 while
    connected to the VGA KVM adapter.

  6. Re: Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome?

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 02:38:44 +0100, Wolfgang Draxinger typed this message:

    > noi ance wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone found a fix for setting the screen resolution with the
    >> nVidia drivers in Linux?
    >>
    >> I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get Suse 10.3 with Gnome 2.20 to
    >> display the 1680x1050@60 lcd screen resolution. It only works with the
    >> DVI connection but when that's switched to a VGA connection the
    >> resolution reverts to 1024x768@60.

    > The problem is not related to Gnome, it's just a X11/X.Org thing.
    > Probably the driver reads a wrong EDID from the monitor. Use the
    > "IgnoreEDID" option, to make the driver ignore any hardware detection.
    > Then hardset the resolution you want, eventually by supplying own
    > modelines.
    >
    > Don't use SAX(2). IMHO this program creates the worst xorg.conf files I
    > can think of.
    >
    > Wolfgang Draxinger

    Wolfgang and other responders, thanks. I tried the "UseEDID" False but
    that made it worse limiting the resolution to a max 640x480.

    Nvidia-Settings for the 169.7 driver is nicer to work with than Sax2 but
    once the DVI connector is removed it reverts to the CRT and again a blank
    screen, ie, no signal.

    Would setting DPI to 96 fix it? Can I otherwise force display device to
    the LCD?

    Looks like xorg knows it should be 1680x1050

    [snip /var/log/Xorg.0.log/]
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "MetaModes" "DFP: 1680x1050 +0+0; DFP: 1600x1024 +0
    +0; DFP: 1400x1050 +0+0; DFP: 1280x1024 +0+0; DFP: 1440x900 +0+0; DFP:
    1280x960 +0+0; DFP: 1152x864 +0+0; DFP: 1024x768 +0+0; DFP: 800x600 +0+0;
    DFP: 640x480 +0+0"
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
    (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-1
    (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 8600 GT (G84) at PCI:2:0:0 (GPU-0)
    (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 262144 kBytes
    (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 60.84.51.00.00
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
    (--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
    (--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce 8600 GT at
    PCI:2:0:0:
    (--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-1
    (--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-1: 400.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: CRT-1
    (WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "DFP:1440x900+0+0"; removing.
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
    (II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP:1680x1050+0+0"
    (II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP:1600x1024+0+0"
    (II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP:1400x1050+0+0"
    (II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP:1280x1024+0+0"
    (II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP:1280x960+0+0"
    (II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP:1152x864+0+0"
    (II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP:1024x768+0+0"
    (II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP:800x600+0+0"
    (II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP:640x480+0+0"
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1680 x 1050
    (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device CRT-1's EDID; cannot compute
    DPI
    (WW) NVIDIA(0): from CRT-1's EDID.
    (==) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (75, 75); computed from built-in default
    (==) NVIDIA(0): Disabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals.
    (II) do I need RAC? No, I don't.

  7. Re: Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome?

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 07:12:04 +0000, noi ance typed this message:

    > On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 02:38:44 +0100, Wolfgang Draxinger typed this
    > message:
    >
    >> noi ance wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone found a fix for setting the screen resolution with the
    >>> nVidia drivers in Linux?
    >>>
    >>> I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get Suse 10.3 with Gnome 2.20 to
    >>> display the 1680x1050@60 lcd screen resolution. It only works with
    >>> the DVI connection but when that's switched to a VGA connection the
    >>> resolution reverts to 1024x768@60.

    >> The problem is not related to Gnome, it's just a X11/X.Org thing.
    >> Probably the driver reads a wrong EDID from the monitor. Use the
    >> "IgnoreEDID" option, to make the driver ignore any hardware detection.
    >> Then hardset the resolution you want, eventually by supplying own
    >> modelines.
    >>
    >> Don't use SAX(2). IMHO this program creates the worst xorg.conf files I
    >> can think of.
    >>
    >> Wolfgang Draxinger

    > Wolfgang and other responders, thanks. I tried the "UseEDID" False but
    > that made it worse limiting the resolution to a max 640x480.
    >
    > Nvidia-Settings for the 169.7 driver is nicer to work with than Sax2 but
    > once the DVI connector is removed it reverts to the CRT and again a
    > blank screen, ie, no signal.
    >
    > Would setting DPI to 96 fix it? Can I otherwise force display device to
    > the LCD?
    >
    > Looks like xorg knows it should be 1680x1050

    Thanks for the pointers Wolfgang. I've have partial success using

    Option "DPI" "139x115"

    In the Monitor Section that gives me 1680x1050 but at only 50Hz not
    60Hz. Good enough for not.

  8. Re: Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome?

    noi ance wrote:

    > Thanks very much Wolfgang. I'll try that, I assume it goes
    > somewhere in the xorg.conf for monitors?

    No, it's a driver option. Eventually you've to supply customly
    written modelines. There's a tool called gtf*, with which you
    can calculate a modeline for your monitor at a given resolution
    and refresh rate. The NVidia driver put's a few additional
    constraints on it, which are however well documented in the
    documentation, that comes with the NVidia driver.

    *) gtf is part of the xorg-server package, the manpage can be
    read e.g. here:
    http://linux.die.net/man/1/gtf

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  9. Re: Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome?

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:29:01 GMT, noi ance wrote:
    >On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 07:12:04 +0000, noi ance typed this message:

    >> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 02:38:44 +0100, Wolfgang Draxinger typed this
    >> message:

    >>> The problem is not related to Gnome, it's just a X11/X.Org thing.
    >>> Probably the driver reads a wrong EDID from the monitor. Use the
    >>> "IgnoreEDID" option, to make the driver ignore any hardware detection.
    >>> Then hardset the resolution you want, eventually by supplying own
    >>> modelines.
    >>>
    >>> Don't use SAX(2). IMHO this program creates the worst xorg.conf files I
    >>> can think of.
    >>>
    >>> Wolfgang Draxinger

    >> Wolfgang and other responders, thanks. I tried the "UseEDID" False but
    >> that made it worse limiting the resolution to a max 640x480.
    >>
    >> Nvidia-Settings for the 169.7 driver is nicer to work with than Sax2 but
    >> once the DVI connector is removed it reverts to the CRT and again a
    >> blank screen, ie, no signal.
    >>
    >> Would setting DPI to 96 fix it? Can I otherwise force display device to
    >> the LCD?
    >>
    >> Looks like xorg knows it should be 1680x1050
    >>

    >Thanks for the pointers Wolfgang. I've have partial success using

    >Option "DPI" "139x115"

    That option doesn't affect display resolution. It is merely an calculation
    for applications to determine what font size to use.

    >In the Monitor Section that gives me 1680x1050 but at only 50Hz not
    >60Hz. Good enough for not.

  10. Re: Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome?

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:37:50 +0000, AZ Nomad typed this message:

    > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:29:01 GMT, noi ance wrote:
    >>On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 07:12:04 +0000, noi ance typed this message:

    >>> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 02:38:44 +0100, Wolfgang Draxinger typed this
    >>> message:

    >>> Wolfgang and other responders, thanks. I tried the "UseEDID" False
    >>> but that made it worse limiting the resolution to a max 640x480.
    >>>
    >>> Nvidia-Settings for the 169.7 driver is nicer to work with than Sax2
    >>> but once the DVI connector is removed it reverts to the CRT and again
    >>> a blank screen, ie, no signal.
    >>>
    >>> Would setting DPI to 96 fix it? Can I otherwise force display device
    >>> to the LCD?
    >>>
    >>> Looks like xorg knows it should be 1680x1050
    >>>

    >>Thanks for the pointers Wolfgang. I've have partial success using

    >>Option "DPI" "139x115"

    > That option doesn't affect display resolution. It is merely an
    > calculation for applications to determine what font size to use.
    >

    >>In the Monitor Section that gives me 1680x1050 but at only 50Hz not
    >>60Hz. Good enough for not.

    Thank you for the reply.

    The only option that actually fixed the resolution was the DPI option.
    The fonts are still 1280x1024, and RefreshRate of 50Hz but the resolution
    is now 1680x1050.

  11. Re: Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome?

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:36:21 GMT, noi ance wrote:
    >On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:37:50 +0000, AZ Nomad typed this message:

    >> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:29:01 GMT, noi ance wrote:
    >>>On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 07:12:04 +0000, noi ance typed this message:

    >>>Thanks for the pointers Wolfgang. I've have partial success using

    >>>Option "DPI" "139x115"

    >> That option doesn't affect display resolution. It is merely an
    >> calculation for applications to determine what font size to use.
    >>

    >>>In the Monitor Section that gives me 1680x1050 but at only 50Hz not
    >>>60Hz. Good enough for not.

    >Thank you for the reply.

    >The only option that actually fixed the resolution was the DPI option.
    >The fonts are still 1280x1024, and RefreshRate of 50Hz but the resolution
    >is now 1680x1050.

    DPI is for translating pixels to inches. Something else set your
    resolution. Typically the modeline statements, monitor frequency
    ranges, and the resolutions in the modes in the screen section.

  12. Re: Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome?

    On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 01:52:33 +0000, AZ Nomad typed this message:

    > On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:36:21 GMT, noi ance wrote:

    >>> That option doesn't affect display resolution. It is merely an
    >>> calculation for applications to determine what font size to use.

    >>Thank you for the reply.

    >>The only option that actually fixed the resolution was the DPI option.
    >>The fonts are still 1280x1024, and RefreshRate of 50Hz but the
    >>resolution is now 1680x1050.

    > DPI is for translating pixels to inches. Something else set your
    > resolution. Typically the modeline statements, monitor frequency
    > ranges, and the resolutions in the modes in the screen section.

    Thanks for the infomation and assistance. I started with modelines
    +frequency but it always reverted to 800x600 or 1280x1024 until I added
    the DPI.

    Apparently, Nvidia drivers detect vga connections and then only vga
    settings are used. I finally managed to get the correct to work with the
    VGA KVM. I had to start the system with the monitor connected to
    directly to the DVI port and that sets the correct resolution and
    refreshrate. I used nvidia-settings to generate a new xorg.conf which I
    did not merge with the existing xorg.conf. I added the UseEDID "False"
    and UseEDIDFreq "False" to the monitor settings. No DPI settings.
    That permanently fixed the problem.

  13. Re: Is there an Nvidia screen resolution fix for Gnome?

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:36:34 -0500, Robert typed this message:

    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:44:09 +0000, noi ance wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone found a fix for setting the screen resolution with the
    >> nVidia drivers in Linux?
    >>
    >> I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get Suse 10.3 with Gnome 2.20 to
    >> display the 1680x1050@60 lcd screen resolution. It only works with the
    >> DVI connection but when that's switched to a VGA connection the
    >> resolution reverts to 1024x768@60.
    >>
    >> Graphics and Monitor are correctly set in xorg.conf and by use of Sax2.
    >> Modes in xorg.conf are set for 1680x1050 but testing Sax2 or reboot the
    >> resolution remains 1024x768 connected to the VGA adapter.
    >>
    >> I'm using VGA KVM-A switch which is why I use the VGA connectors. This
    >> wasn't a problem with my ATI video card which properly adjusted the
    >> resolution once it was set by Sax2.
    >>
    >> Gf8600GT
    >> Suse 10.3
    >> AOC 22lwvk

    > Try using the following:
    >
    > nvidia-settings
    >
    > It can be started from the CLI

    Thanks for the reply. Nvidia-settings must be started in an X-session
    but can be started from within a terminal session.

    Nvidia drivers detect VGA connections and then only vga settings are
    used. I finally got the correct settings to work with the VGA KVM. I
    had to start the system with the monitor connected to directly to the DVI
    port and that sets the correct resolution and refreshrate. I used
    nvidia-settings to generate a new xorg.conf that I did not merge with the
    existing xorg.conf.

    I added the UseEDID "False" and UseEDIDFreq "False" to the monitor
    settings. That permanently fixed the problem. Also, finally fixed my
    sound problem, but that's another story.

    thanks

+ Reply to Thread