USB 2.0 hub with random errors - Hardware

This is a discussion on USB 2.0 hub with random errors - Hardware ; Hi, on a somewhat older machine (dated back to 2000) I have a USB-2.0 hub as PCI card. When I write (especially a large amount of) data to my external hard disk (connected to that hub) some random 64bytes blocks ...

  1. USB 2.0 hub with random errors

    Hi,

    on a somewhat older machine (dated back to 2000) I have a
    USB-2.0 hub as PCI card. When I write (especially a large
    amount of) data to my external hard disk (connected to that hub)
    some random 64bytes blocks get corrupted. This occurs with 2 different
    external hard disks so I suspect the USB hub.
    I have even tried a different slot for the card.

    Has anybody made a similar experience and does anybody
    know about a solid USB-2 hub PCI card?

    Many thanks for a hint,

    Helmut Jarausch

    Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
    RWTH - Aachen University
    D 52056 Aachen, Germany

  2. Re: USB 2.0 hub with random errors

    Helmut Jarausch wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > on a somewhat older machine (dated back to 2000) I have a
    > USB-2.0 hub as PCI card. When I write (especially a large

    [...]

    I had some problems with an Archos MP3 player that, if connected to one
    of the front case USB ports (by using the USB connectors in the middle
    of the MB), obtained corrupted files. The MP3 player perfectly works if
    connected to my MB rear USB ports...

    I think the USB cable length could be important.

    Could You change the USB cable?
    Why don't You try to connect the USB hard disk to another USB port
    without the use of the hub PCI card?
    You could prefer to connect the mouse to the hub in place of the HD...

    I hope it helps.

    Best regards
    Armando

  3. Re: USB 2.0 hub with random errors

    On Jan 15, 9:58 pm, Arma wrote:
    > Helmut Jarausch wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > on a somewhat older machine (dated back to 2000) I have a
    > > USB-2.0 hub as PCI card. When I write (especially a large

    > [...]
    >
    > I had some problems with an Archos MP3 player that, if connected to one
    > of the front case USB ports (by using the USB connectors in the middle
    > of the MB), obtained corrupted files. The MP3 player perfectly works if
    > connected to my MB rear USB ports...
    >
    > I think the USB cable length could be important.
    >
    > Could You change the USB cable?
    > Why don't You try to connect the USB hard disk to another USB port
    > without the use of the hub PCI card?
    > You could prefer to connect the mouse to the hub in place of the HD...
    >
    > I hope it helps.
    >
    > Best regards
    > Armando

    USB spec is pretty particular about the electrical characteristics of
    the cables and connectors to be used(ie: impedance, length,
    crosstalk ...). Most of the USB cables I see (without the USB
    certification) does not match these strict criteria. These may work
    for low/Full speed (12Mb/s ) connections that are physically short.
    However these will lead to USB bus errors when Hi-speed (480Mb/s)
    devices are used.
    So the mother board middle connector problem will most likely be a
    poorly designed/made cable or a USB connector.
    As far as the original problem from Helmut goes, I tend to think it
    is a software issue on either the Host or the Client side. I say this
    because USB bus errors would mostly be picked up by the USB layer CRC
    (5/16 bit) and retries will be attempted. If the driver (on either
    end) does not handle the retries, then errors could be introduced.
    So from a user point of view what Arma suggested are excellent
    starting points.

+ Reply to Thread