Re: growisofs requires rebooting after every burn ? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: growisofs requires rebooting after every burn ? - Hardware ; Lasse Jensen wrote: > Have you tried to use the drive with any other operation systems? To me, it > sounds like a defective drive or bugged firmware. I have a CDR drive that does this from time to time. ...

  1. Re: growisofs requires rebooting after every burn ?

    Lasse Jensen wrote:
    > Have you tried to use the drive with any other operation systems? To me, it
    > sounds like a defective drive or bugged firmware.

    I have a CDR drive that does this from time to time. It hangs after I issue an
    eject command, and the disk does not eject. Annoyingly the drive seems to lose
    power, and the only way to reset it appears to be to reboot the computer. I
    think in the past I have physically plugged the power cable out of the back of
    the drive and plugged it back in again, but I don't like doing this when the
    computer is powered on. (It is an internal IDE drive.)

    ps -ef|grep eject

    root 9653 9652 0 Sep28 ? 00:00:00 eject /dev/cdrom

    kill -9 9653 (done as root)

    ps -ef|grep eject

    root 9653 9652 0 Sep28 ? 00:00:00 eject /dev/cdrom

    > Do you use DMA while burning?

    I don't know whether I do or not. I'll find out when I next burn a disk.

    > Are the burned discs "good"? Can you
    > read/eject/read... discs in the drive?

    My disks burn ok, and pass md5sum verification.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  2. Re: growisofs requires rebooting after every burn ?

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:08:05 GMT, markhobley@hotpop.deletethisbit.com
    (Mark Hobley) wrote:

    >Lasse Jensen wrote:
    >> Have you tried to use the drive with any other operation systems? To me, it
    >> sounds like a defective drive or bugged firmware.

    My experience is that a kernel version of 2.6.21.5 or newer is
    requred.

    I didn't see what software you are using (was it growisofs?), but
    newsgroups and google are full of "it doesn't work" so try a couple of
    alternates.
    --buck

+ Reply to Thread