access to USB device - Hardware

This is a discussion on access to USB device - Hardware ; Hi, With my newly delivered Photovoltaic solar panels comes a little device called sunny beam to track the power production of the panels, and load the data to a PC. I setup the SW with wine with no problems. When ...

  1. access to USB device

    Hi,

    With my newly delivered Photovoltaic solar panels comes a little device
    called sunny beam to track the power production of the panels, and load the
    data to a PC.
    I setup the SW with wine with no problems.
    When I want to access the device via USB, the application only shows com
    ports, and not the USB port.

    When I do the same in Xp, It shows the com ports and a menu entry for USB
    connection.
    It looks like the USB interface is not recognised in linux.
    it does not show in lsusb
    marc@L1:/media/cdrom0$ lsusb
    Bus 005 Device 003: ID 04f2:0200 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0b0e:444b GN Netcom
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1587:002d
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0db0:4011 Micro Star International Medion Flash XL
    V2.0 Card Reader
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

    When looking in Kinfocenter, the devic s recognised, so I guess
    wine does not recognise the usb interface

    Sunny Beam

    Manufacturer: SMA Technologie AG
    Serial #: 00014365

    Class 0
    Subclass 0
    Protocol 0
    USB Version 1.01
    Vendor ID 0x1587
    Product ID 0x2d
    Revision 0.00
    Speed 12 Mbit/s
    Channels 0
    Max. Packet Size 8

    Any ideas on how to get this working ?
    The website of the manufacturer can be found at
    http://www2.sma.de/en/solar-technolo...iew/index.html

    --
    MarcB

  2. Re: access to USB device

    MarcB staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > My newly delivered Photovoltaic solar panels [came with] a little
    > device called sunny beam to track the power production of the panels,
    > and load the data to a PC. When I want to access the device via USB,
    > the application only shows com ports, and not the USB port. When I do
    > the same in Xp, It shows the com ports and a menu entry for USB
    > connection.

    > It looks like the USB interface is not recognised in linux. it does
    > not show [up] in lsusb
    > marc@L1:/media/cdrom0$ lsusb
    > Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1587:002d

    No, that's it. There just isn't an entry for vendor ID 1587 product ID
    002d in /usr/share/misc/usb.ids , so there's no product name.

    > When looking in Kinfocenter, the [device is] recognised, so I guess
    > wine does not recognise the usb interface.

    Or there's no kernel module loaded that implements an interface for
    whatever this thing does. Is it a USB<->Serial adapter? Those are
    relatively common, but I see nothing for vendor ID 1587 in a 2.6.22.1
    vanilla source tree.

    > Any ideas on how to get this working ?

    If this thing doesn't use a standard protocol, you're probably going to
    have to reverse-engineer whatever it is using. The URL you gave was
    totally content-free, so writing to these people and asking nicely for a
    specification will probably result in an "Uh, what? Damned if we know,"
    response. Or possibly a "We can't give you that information as it's
    Super Secret." Hard to say.

    I've heard of at least one program that ran on 'Doze and captured all
    data transferred over USB. "USBSnoopy" was its name, but it was fairly
    difficult to get anything sensible out of it. Or the device I was
    trying to use it on was even more nonstandard than usual.

    --
    He is a rhythmic movement of the penguins, is Tux.
    --MegaHAL, trained on random gibberish