Qnap 209 Pro - Hardware

This is a discussion on Qnap 209 Pro - Hardware ; I'm kinda considering asking S. Claus to bring one of these kinda cool NAS things. They seem to do a whole bunch and the price is pretty decent. I am gonna want the thing to talk CIFS to Ubuntu and ...

  1. Qnap 209 Pro

    I'm kinda considering asking S. Claus to bring one of these kinda cool
    NAS things. They seem to do a whole bunch and the price is pretty
    decent. I am gonna want the thing to talk CIFS to Ubuntu and perhaps
    chat with XP a bit; but mostly concerned with folks that have one of
    these things that got it working. I'm planning on retiring an older
    debian server which is beginning to worry me a bit and it seems that I
    could even have it do some web serving.

    Any good or bad or other reports on the Qnap NAS devices out there?

    Thanks!

    --
    Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

  2. Re: Qnap 209 Pro

    Michael Perry wrote:
    > I am gonna want the thing to talk CIFS to Ubuntu

    I have no experience from Qnap, but I would prefer to use NFS instead of
    CIFS when connecting a Linux/Unix machine to any kind of file server. I
    prefer NFS mostly for performance, but also for features as NFS is
    designed for unix and knows about unix attributes like uid, gid and chmod.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread