login name and passord recovery - Hardware

This is a discussion on login name and passord recovery - Hardware ; I forgot my login name and password recovery in Fedora Core. is there any way to recover it , please? thanks!...

  1. login name and passord recovery

    I forgot my login name and password recovery in Fedora Core.
    is there any way to recover it , please?

    thanks!

  2. Re: login name and passord recovery

    eager wrote:

    > I forgot my login name and password recovery in Fedora Core.
    > is there any way to recover it , please?

    Boot from a LiveCD, mount your system's root FS in rw-mode, then
    chroot into the mountpoint (as root). Now you can use

    passwd $user

    to overwrite the password of $user.

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  3. Re: login name and passord recovery

    Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:

    > eager wrote:
    >
    >> I forgot my login name and password recovery in Fedora Core.
    >> is there any way to recover it , please?

    > Boot from a LiveCD, mount your system's root FS in rw-mode, then
    > chroot into the mountpoint (as root). Now you can use
    >
    > passwd $user
    >
    > to overwrite the password of $user.
    >
    > Wolfgang Draxinger

    Or you could mount the FS

    cp /etc/passwd{,.backup}

    remove the "password entry" in /etc/passwd
    root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
    ^
    reboot and login

    cp /etc/passwd.backup /etc/passwd

    and then passwd

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  4. Re: login name and passord recovery

    Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
    > Boot from a LiveCD, mount your system's root FS in rw-mode, then
    > chroot into the mountpoint (as root). Now you can use
    > passwd $user
    > to overwrite the password of $user.

    cat /etc/passwd

    as root will show you the users on the system.

    Theo

+ Reply to Thread