Noisy CPU fan on amd64 & configuring powernowd... - Hardware

This is a discussion on Noisy CPU fan on amd64 & configuring powernowd... - Hardware ; Hello, I'm using Debian Etch on my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens AMILO A1655G on amd64) and I was experiencing problems with the CPU fan, which was noisy (apparently an AMILO-specific problem) but, most of all, was always running even when "acpi ...

  1. Noisy CPU fan on amd64 & configuring powernowd...

    Hello,

    I'm using Debian Etch on my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens AMILO A1655G on
    amd64) and I was experiencing problems with the CPU fan, which was
    noisy (apparently an AMILO-specific problem) but, most of all, was
    always running even when "acpi -t" told me temperature was normal. I
    resolved with a "modprobe powernow-k8", which prevents the fan from
    running continuously, but it's still very noisy when it does. I
    noticed it starts when temperature is above 55 C and keeps running
    until it's reached that point. I was wondering how I could set the
    temperature a little higher, around 60 or 65 C, so that it doesnt run
    that often.

    thanx

  2. Re: Noisy CPU fan on amd64 & configuring powernowd...

    Outspan writes:
    >I'm using Debian Etch on my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens AMILO A1655G on
    >amd64) and I was experiencing problems with the CPU fan, which was
    >noisy (apparently an AMILO-specific problem) but, most of all, was
    >always running even when "acpi -t" told me temperature was normal. I
    >resolved with a "modprobe powernow-k8", which prevents the fan from
    >running continuously, but it's still very noisy when it does.

    Note that powernow-k8 only provides the foundation that can be used by
    various governors, e.g., cpufreq_ondemand, so you should modprobe the
    governor yoi want, too, and then set the governor to that governor,
    e.g.:

    modprobe powernow-k8
    modprobe cpufreq_ondemand
    echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    #repeat for other CPUs

    I am surprised that you noticed an effect from loading powernow-k8
    alone.

    >noticed it starts when temperature is above 55 =B0C and keeps running
    >until it's reached that point. I was wondering how I could set the
    >temperature a little higher, around 60 or 65 =B0C, so that it doesnt run
    >that often.

    Unless you have done something about it, this is controled by the
    BIOS, so you may be able to set the limit temperature there. An
    alternative would be to get lm_sensors to run on your machine and then
    control the fan with fancontrol.pl (you can find that somewhere on the
    web). You may have to set the BIOS not to control the fan (i.e.,
    always spin) in order for that to work.

    - anton