Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards - Hardware

This is a discussion on Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards - Hardware ; I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35- Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable the audio feature ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    simply need too detailed info of the internals.

    MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    music all day long.

    Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    either.

    Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?

    Hadrian

  2. MSI and Gigabyte are TERRIBLE Taiwanese Companies of Motherboards Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    On Nov 1, 3:30 pm, pc.expert...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    > Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    > chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    > the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    > freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    > board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    > similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    > the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    > the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    > their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    > simply need too detailed info of the internals.
    >
    > MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    > company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    > California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    > and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    > music all day long.
    >
    > Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    > support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    > The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    > either.
    >
    > Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    > quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?
    >
    > Hadrian

  3. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economicalmotherboards

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:00 +0000, pc.expertise rearranged some electrons
    to say:

    > Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    > quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?
    >
    > Hadrian

    Try Intel.

  4. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    pc.expertise@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    > Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    > chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    > the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    > freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    > board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    > similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    > the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    > the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    > their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    > simply need too detailed info of the internals.
    >
    > MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    > company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    > California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    > and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    > music all day long.
    >
    > Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    > support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    > The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    > either.

    You must have had bad experiences with ASUS as mine were the exact
    opposite. In over ten years of buying their boards I have had one with
    a problem. I got hold of their tech support in a couple of minutes and
    had a RMA shortly afterwards. A little over a week later I had a
    replacement board. Why you feel this is bad service, or that ASUS makes
    bad boards I don't see. I started using their boards after a
    recommendation from a friend at Microsoft who said that a lot of the
    people there were using their boards.
    I don't expect any company to make upgrades available for their hardware
    years after it was released but ASUS does. When I bought a P2B-S
    motherboard the highest Pentium available was only capable of going up
    to 450 MHz. I later upgraded the BIOS and installed an 850 MHz CPU in
    and everything worked as if the board was designed for the processor.
    I might have bought cheaper motherboards in the past but reliability and
    ease of setup are far more important to me than a couple of dollars
    savings, especially if I don't have to replace the board every time I
    want to do an upgrade.

    > Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    > quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?
    >
    > Hadrian

  5. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:00 -0000, pc.expertise@gmail.com
    wrote:

    >I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    >Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    >chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    >the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    >freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    >board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    >similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    >the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    >the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    >their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    >simply need too detailed info of the internals.
    >
    >MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    >company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    >California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    >and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    >music all day long.
    >
    >Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    >support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    >The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    >either.
    >
    >Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    >quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?
    >
    >Hadrian

    Motherboards have short product lives and it's sometimes
    amazing how quickly they can spin out new versions.

    No board is perfect and this even ignores manufacturing
    flaws. That you might have some examples from one
    manufacturer or another of occasional problems is no reason
    to ignore any of the major brands in general.

    Buy a name brand board and don't get too picky about it
    being better than 99% working... most people who feel theirs
    is any better than that, just haven't came across the
    particular flaw(s) present in theirs because every system
    and use is a little bit different.

  6. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt kony wrote:

    >On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:00 -0000, pc.expertise@gmail.com
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    >>Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    >>chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    >>the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    >>freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    >>board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    >>similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    >>the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    >>the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    >>their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    >>simply need too detailed info of the internals.
    >>
    >>MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    >>company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    >>California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    >>and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    >>music all day long.
    >>
    >>Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    >>support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    >>The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    >>either.
    >>
    >>Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    >>quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?
    >>
    >>Hadrian

    >Motherboards have short product lives and it's sometimes
    >amazing how quickly they can spin out new versions.
    >
    >No board is perfect and this even ignores manufacturing
    >flaws. That you might have some examples from one
    >manufacturer or another of occasional problems is no reason
    >to ignore any of the major brands in general.
    >
    >Buy a name brand board and don't get too picky about it
    >being better than 99% working... most people who feel theirs
    >is any better than that, just haven't came across the
    >particular flaw(s) present in theirs because every system
    >and use is a little bit different.

    I have yet to find a motherboard without a flaw.
    I *try* to buy motherboards whose flaws I personally can live with.
    Sometimes that's incredibly difficult; especially when I'm constrained
    by buying (or already having) a particular processor I can afford; or
    having previously-acquired boards that I need to match my particular
    use. ;-{

    (For example: I *need* two floppy drives; never mind why. My present
    mobo is the first one I've had that for some strange reason only
    supports *one* floppy. So ... I bought an ATA floppy drive. It works;
    but means I only have three other ATA slots; that are now all full.)

    --
    _____
    / ' / â„¢

  7. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    On Nov 1, 4:03 pm, david wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:00 +0000, pc.expertise rearranged some electrons
    > to say:
    >

    > > Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    > > quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?

    > > Hadrian

    > Try Intel.

    Any feature equivalent motherboard to the MSI one I am talking about ?

  8. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    On Nov 1, 5:09 pm, "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwry...@worldnet.att.net>
    wrote:
    > pc.expert...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    > > Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    > > chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    > > the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    > > freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    > > board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    > > similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    > > the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    > > the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    > > their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    > > simply need too detailed info of the internals.

    > > MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    > > company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    > > California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    > > and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    > > music all day long.

    > > Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    > > support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    > > The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    > > either.

    > You must have had bad experiences with ASUS as mine were the exact
    > opposite. In over ten years of buying their boards I have had one with
    > a problem. I got hold of their tech support in a couple of minutes and
    > had a RMA shortly afterwards. A little over a week later I had a
    > replacement board. Why you feel this is bad service, or that ASUS makes
    > bad boards I don't see. I started using their boards after a
    > recommendation from a friend at Microsoft who said that a lot of the
    > people there were using their boards.
    > I don't expect any company to make upgrades available for their hardware
    > years after it was released but ASUS does. When I bought a P2B-S
    > motherboard the highest Pentium available was only capable of going up
    > to 450 MHz. I later upgraded the BIOS and installed an 850 MHz CPU in
    > and everything worked as if the board was designed for the processor.
    > I might have bought cheaper motherboards in the past but reliability and
    > ease of setup are far more important to me than a couple of dollars
    > savings, especially if I don't have to replace the board every time I
    > want to do an upgrade.

    Actually, I have an ASUS motherboard. Its BIOS are NOT BEING provided
    by ASUS but are being sold by Phoenix or AMI BIOS which ever wrote
    them
    originally. ASUS NEVER BOTHERED TO UPGRADE THEIR BIOS AND
    PROVIDE CUSTOMERS FOR FREE. That feature has to do with the
    addressing of the recent large EIDE hard drives. The conclusion about
    ASUS
    is that it is selling the same cheap crap as the Taiwanese companies.
    Its
    just that their people speak better english and are a little more
    politically
    correct. But not necessarily, actually correct.

    For example, I would like to know what codec ASUS MB offer and for
    what
    cost? Their MB has no heat pipes but still it is as expensive as MSI.
    With
    heat pipes it is in $250-300 range. so they already charged for
    replacement.
    MSI was not bad for replacement, once you found a way over the hurdles
    they erected.

    > > Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    > > quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?

    > > Hadrian

  9. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    On Nov 1, 5:26 pm, kony wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:00 -0000, pc.expert...@gmail.com
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    > >Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio
    > >chip has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable
    > >the audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board
    > >freezes. You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this
    > >board which has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as
    > >similar boards by Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses
    > >the audio codec by the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in
    > >the newegg and other sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably,
    > >their design engineers wrote them, because some of the work arounds
    > >simply need too detailed info of the internals.

    > >MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese
    > >company is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry,
    > >California. It would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers
    > >and get in touch with their tech support. You will be hearing their
    > >music all day long.

    > >Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    > >support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    > >The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    > >either.

    > >Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    > >quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?

    > >Hadrian

    > Motherboards have short product lives and it's sometimes
    > amazing how quickly they can spin out new versions.

    One the contrary, if you consider your data as critical, all of
    the PC including MB is a critical component for any end user.

    The above attitude is a tremendous disrespect for an end user.

    > No board is perfect and this even ignores manufacturing
    > flaws. That you might have some examples from one
    > manufacturer or another of occasional problems is no reason
    > to ignore any of the major brands in general.
    >
    > Buy a name brand board and don't get too picky about it
    > being better than 99% working... most people who feel theirs
    > is any better than that, just haven't came across the
    > particular flaw(s) present in theirs because every system
    > and use is a little bit different.

  10. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    > Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    > support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    > The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    > either.

    1. I have never needed to contact motherboard manufacturers.
    2. Asus' boards last longest in my home

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.1

  11. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    > 1. I have never needed to contact motherboard manufacturers.

    Except recently when I needed to install Vi$ta x64 on nF570Ultra RAID
    0... it didn't work.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.1
    ^ ^ 19:13:01 up 5:44 1 user load average: 0.00 0.02 0.00
    news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk

  12. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    > You must have had bad experiences with ASUS as mine were the exact
    > opposite. In over ten years of buying their boards I have had one with
    > a problem. I got hold of their tech support in a couple of minutes and
    > had a RMA shortly afterwards. A little over a week later I had a
    > replacement board. Why you feel this is bad service, or that ASUS makes
    > bad boards I don't see. I started using their boards after a
    > recommendation from a friend at Microsoft who said that a lot of the
    > people there were using their boards.
    > I don't expect any company to make upgrades available for their hardware
    > years after it was released but ASUS does. When I bought a P2B-S
    > motherboard the highest Pentium available was only capable of going up
    > to 450 MHz. I later upgraded the BIOS and installed an 850 MHz CPU in
    > and everything worked as if the board was designed for the processor.
    > I might have bought cheaper motherboards in the past but reliability and
    > ease of setup are far more important to me than a couple of dollars
    > savings, especially if I don't have to replace the board every time I
    > want to do an upgrade.

    Been running, building, fixing, re-using, hundreds of older machines in
    *BSD and GNU/Linux, since 1997, and have a few ASUS P2B-DS dual
    processor machines running, as well as some PL97, P3W, and others.

    There was a problem with the stabilizer in capacitors in 2000 through
    2004 but, (thank you EPA!) after that problem in consumer goods, that
    affected most makers of products(even some BMWs!), it is back to
    stability and full features that work well for me and my clients.

    There is the old saw:

    Choice is to make it:

    1. Cheap,
    2. Quickly available,
    3. Full-featured

    but, you may have only two of the choices.

    This MSI K8NGM2-FID board, running Mepis 6.5-64bit Linux, was delivered
    with the 939 pin AM2 AMD Sempron 3000+ cpu with heatsink/fan for $80.00,
    shipping free, from 3BTech, and all the GNU/Linux Distros and *BSD
    versions work well! (Haven't done the onboard SATA RAID, yet).

    Another happy customer. Have dozens of ASUS systems running well in a
    collage of over 120 systems here and in schools.

  13. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote:

    >> Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    >> support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    >> The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    >> either.

    > 1. I have never needed to contact motherboard manufacturers.
    > 2. Asus' boards last longest in my home

    I just bought a motherboard from MACH SPEED TECHNOLOGIES. The are one of the
    few, very few, that offer a LIFETIME WARRANTY on their stuff....

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us

  14. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    I have been buying nothing but Gigabyte boards for 7 years and have not
    had any issues at all. I religiously use the onbaord sound befcause I
    think it is comarable with atleast a SB Live, though my last 2 Gig
    boards have had the RealtekHD audio chipset. Yes they are a little more
    expensive than the other boards, but I have not had one issue with them.
    For a friend who wanted to cut corners I bought a Biostar board and was
    not impressed with it though it was about half the cost of the Gigabyte. I
    push my boards to the limit and cant complain at all.

    Later,
    Bill
    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 20:33:25 -0500, Frank McCoy wrote:

    > In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt kony wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:00 -0000, pc.expertise@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a motherboard by Microstar International of Taiwan, ie MSI P35-
    >>>Neo2-FR. This board has a fundamental design flaw. The Al888T audio chip
    >>>has too little power and the BIOS are screwed up. When I disable the
    >>>audio feature in the integrated peripherals in BIOS, the board freezes.
    >>>You cannot disable the audio in the BIOS. That is why, this board which
    >>>has 4 heat pipes is in the $115 price range, where as similar boards by
    >>>Gigabyte are in $200 price range. But Gigabyte uses the audio codec by
    >>>the same company, Realtek. Most of the feedbacks in the newegg and other
    >>>sites are bogus and by the vendors. Probably, their design engineers
    >>>wrote them, because some of the work arounds simply need too detailed
    >>>info of the internals.
    >>>
    >>>MSI is a terrible Taiwanese company. Another Terrible Taiwanese company
    >>>is Gigabyte. Both are located in the City of Industry, California. It
    >>>would be interesting to try to call their 626 numbers and get in touch
    >>>with their tech support. You will be hearing their music all day long.
    >>>
    >>>Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    >>>support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg. The
    >>>fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price either.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    >>>quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?
    >>>
    >>>Hadrian

    >>Motherboards have short product lives and it's sometimes amazing how
    >>quickly they can spin out new versions.
    >>
    >>No board is perfect and this even ignores manufacturing flaws. That you
    >>might have some examples from one manufacturer or another of occasional
    >>problems is no reason to ignore any of the major brands in general.
    >>
    >>Buy a name brand board and don't get too picky about it being better than
    >>99% working... most people who feel theirs is any better than that, just
    >>haven't came across the particular flaw(s) present in theirs because
    >>every system and use is a little bit different.

    > I have yet to find a motherboard without a flaw. I *try* to buy
    > motherboards whose flaws I personally can live with. Sometimes that's
    > incredibly difficult; especially when I'm constrained by buying (or
    > already having) a particular processor I can afford; or having
    > previously-acquired boards that I need to match my particular use. ;-{
    >
    > (For example: I *need* two floppy drives; never mind why. My present mobo
    > is the first one I've had that for some strange reason only supports *one*
    > floppy. So ... I bought an ATA floppy drive. It works; but means I only
    > have three other ATA slots; that are now all full.)

  15. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economicalmotherboards

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 06:49:33 +0000, pc.expertise rearranged some electrons
    to say:

    > On Nov 1, 4:03 pm, david wrote:
    >> On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:30:00 +0000, pc.expertise rearranged some
    >> electrons to say:
    >>

    >> > Anyone know a good motherboard company for the core 2 duo and core 2
    >> > quad CPU by Intel and using DDR2 800MHz memory, 4 slots, upto 8Gig ?

    >> > Hadrian

    >> Try Intel.

    > Any feature equivalent motherboard to the MSI one I am talking about ?

    http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/index.htm

  16. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    I demand that Bill may or may not have written...

    > I have been buying nothing but Gigabyte boards for 7 years and have not
    > had any issues at all. I religiously use the onbaord sound befcause I
    > think it is comarable with atleast a SB Live,

    It has an on-board MIDI synth...?

    [snip]
    | + Travel less. Share transport more. PRODUCE LESS CARBON DIOXIDE.

    What garlic is to salad, insanity is to art.

  17. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    Jerry McBride writes:

    > Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote:
    >
    >>> Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    >>> support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    >>> The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    >>> either.

    >> 1. I have never needed to contact motherboard manufacturers.
    >> 2. Asus' boards last longest in my home
    >>

    > I just bought a motherboard from MACH SPEED TECHNOLOGIES. The are one of the
    > few, very few, that offer a LIFETIME WARRANTY on their stuff....

    If you read carefully, you'll probably find that the lifetime is
    calculated at one year or so.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  18. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    I don't know about warranty claims, but I've gotten the best mobo tech
    support from Intel, DFI, and Supermicro, especially the latter.

    How good is Tyan?

  19. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    larry moe 'n curly writes:
    >I don't know about warranty claims, but I've gotten the best mobo tech
    >support from Intel, DFI, and Supermicro, especially the latter.

    I cannot talk about tech support, but here's our experience: We have
    two different kinds of Supermicro boards:

    - an X7DBE+, and we are happy with that.

    - four PDSME+ boards in Supermicro cases, and these make problems:
    They drive the original Intel CPU fan so slowly (at about 1000rpm)
    that the CPU (Xeon 3070) overheats under load, even with the "4-pin
    fans at full speed" BIOS option. lm_sensors does not work. A BIOS
    update did not help. We contacted our supplier, and eventually they
    found a workaround by converting the Intel fan into a 3-pin fan and
    switching the BIOS into 3-pin mode (then the fan spins at 1500rpm,
    not great, but cool enough). I don't know if they contacted
    Supermicro tech support for that.

    >How good is Tyan?

    We have several different Tyan boards, and are happy with them, so no
    contact with tech support.

    - anton

  20. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    What a bunch of crap!! Are you some kind of troll just looking for ways to
    waste bandwidth. Your information is certainly inaccurate and especially
    about ASUS motherboards. Also your cross posting further indicates the
    troll that I mentioned.

    I know that asking you to refrain from wasting bandwidth on nonsense and
    really bad information is wasted but here is trying!!

    news:1193986531.925865.93330@y42g2000hsy.googlegro ups.com...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast