Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards - Hardware

This is a discussion on Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards - Hardware ; Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:37:50 -0700: written by larry moe 'n curly : >I don't know about warranty claims, but I've gotten the best mobo tech >support from Intel, DFI, and Supermicro, especially the latter. > >How good is Tyan? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:37:50 -0700: written by larry moe 'n curly
    :

    >I don't know about warranty claims, but I've gotten the best mobo tech
    >support from Intel, DFI, and Supermicro, especially the latter.
    >
    >How good is Tyan?

    TYAN is my MB of choice. I have 3 boards running in different computers
    right now with two of them about 8 years old and still running strong.

    I tried an ASUS P4S800D-E Deluxe once and found 3 issues with it after I
    started to tap into its full capabilities.

    - 1 of the RAM slots would see but not access a stick of Micron RAM in
    placed in there and I did extensive tests swapping sticks and changing
    settings to see if it was something other than defective.

    - One of the onboard USB 2.0 ports failed.

    - The LAN port would randomly lose its connection and this would occur
    more frequently as the board aged (1 year) . I tried using different
    cables and found that I had no issues after installing a dedicated NIC
    card.

    After this experience I went back to TYAN (Tomcat K8E-SLI S2866) and it
    just feels more solid to me. I'll be using the ASUS for a HTPC where I
    won't need to max it out.

    Regarding TYAN tech support, I found one issue with the Tomcat K8E-SLI
    S2866 and tech support was reachable and very responsive to email. That
    issue turned out to be a cheapo mouse I had and not the board itself.

    Personally, I plan on sticking w/TYAN for all my future boards.

  2. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    "Len Mattix" wrote in message
    > wrote in message
    > news:1193986531.925865.93330@y42g2000hsy.googlegro ups.com...

    > What a bunch of crap!! Are you some kind of troll just looking for ways

    > waste bandwidth. Your information is certainly inaccurate and especially
    > about ASUS motherboards.

    I will never buy another piece of ASUS equipment.
    1. Sound-on-board circuitry of a P4P800S
    died within 18 months of purchase (2004.)
    2. Inquiring how to buy the wireless card (pictured in
    the P4P800S product guide) . . .
    -- 4 Sept 2006 emailed via http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
    -- email reply Sept. 7 referred me to 510 739 3777 Accessory Dept.
    -- I called Sept. 27; respondent undertook to reply phone or email (not
    done)
    -- I called Sept. 29: referred to 502 995 0883 option 5
    -- which hung up after 5 min. waiting
    Case Code :WTM20060905436466318

    It is simplest to avoid vendors like this.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

  3. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote:
    >
    >>> Asus does not have a 800 number and try ever getting to their tech
    >>> support, and this is despite the fact that asus charges arm and leg.
    >>> The fact is that Asus does not have good quality for the right price
    >>> either.

    >> 1. I have never needed to contact motherboard manufacturers.
    >> 2. Asus' boards last longest in my home
    >>

    > I just bought a motherboard from MACH SPEED TECHNOLOGIES. The are one
    > of the few, very few, that offer a LIFETIME WARRANTY on their
    > stuff....

    What a good idea on something that will be out of date in six months time..

    SteveH

  4. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    On Nov 3, 9:00 am, Same Guy wrote:
    > Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:37:50 -0700: written by larry moe 'n curly
    > :
    >
    > >I don't know about warranty claims, but I've gotten the best mobo tech
    > >support from Intel, DFI, and Supermicro, especially the latter.

    > >How good is Tyan?

    > TYAN is my MB of choice. I have 3 boards running in different computers
    > right now with two of them about 8 years old and still running strong.
    >
    > I tried an ASUS P4S800D-E Deluxe once and found 3 issues with it after I
    > started to tap into its full capabilities.
    >
    > - 1 of the RAM slots would see but not access a stick of Micron RAM in
    > placed in there and I did extensive tests swapping sticks and changing
    > settings to see if it was something other than defective.
    >
    > - One of the onboard USB 2.0 ports failed.
    >
    > - The LAN port would randomly lose its connection and this would occur
    > more frequently as the board aged (1 year) . I tried using different
    > cables and found that I had no issues after installing a dedicated NIC
    > card.
    >
    > After this experience I went back to TYAN (Tomcat K8E-SLI S2866) and it
    > just feels more solid to me. I'll be using the ASUS for a HTPC where I
    > won't need to max it out.
    >
    > Regarding TYAN tech support, I found one issue with the Tomcat K8E-SLI
    > S2866 and tech support was reachable and very responsive to email. That
    > issue turned out to be a cheapo mouse I had and not the board itself.
    >
    > Personally, I plan on sticking w/TYAN for all my future boards.

    Whats TYAN's 1-800 tech support number so that I can see how they deal
    with customers.

  5. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    Hey Same Guy,
    what is Tylan's 800 or other number for tech support so I can test
    your claim.

    Same Guy
    Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:37:50 -0700: written by larry moe 'n curly
    : >I don't know about warranty claims, but
    I've gotten the best mobo tech >support from Intel, DFI, and
    Supermicro, especially the latter. >How good is Tyan? TYAN is my MB of
[...]
    More options Nov 3, 9:00 am
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.hardware, alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus, alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar
    From: Same Guy
    Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:00:28 -0800
    Subject: Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical
    motherboards
    Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
    original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

    Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
    This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Nov 10, 9:00 am).

    Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:37:50 -0700: written by larry moe 'n curly
    :

    >I don't know about warranty claims, but I've gotten the best mobo tech
    >support from Intel, DFI, and Supermicro, especially the latter.

    >How good is Tyan?

    TYAN is my MB of choice. I have 3 boards running in different
    computers
    right now with two of them about 8 years old and still running strong.

    I tried an ASUS P4S800D-E Deluxe once and found 3 issues with it after
    started to tap into its full capabilities.

    - 1 of the RAM slots would see but not access a stick of Micron RAM in
    placed in there and I did extensive tests swapping sticks and changing
    settings to see if it was something other than defective.

    - One of the onboard USB 2.0 ports failed.

    - The LAN port would randomly lose its connection and this would occur
    more frequently as the board aged (1 year) . I tried using different
    cables and found that I had no issues after installing a dedicated NIC
    card.

    After this experience I went back to TYAN (Tomcat K8E-SLI S2866) and
    it
    just feels more solid to me. I'll be using the ASUS for a HTPC where
    won't need to max it out.

    Regarding TYAN tech support, I found one issue with the Tomcat K8E-SLI
    S2866 and tech support was reachable and very responsive to email.
    That
    issue turned out to be a cheapo mouse I had and not the board itself.

    Personally, I plan on sticking w/TYAN for all my future boards.

  6. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    SteveH wrote:
    > Jerry McBride wrote:

    >>> 1. I have never needed to contact motherboard manufacturers.
    >>> 2. Asus' boards last longest in my home
    >>>

    >> I just bought a motherboard from MACH SPEED TECHNOLOGIES. The are one
    >> of the few, very few, that offer a LIFETIME WARRANTY on their
    >> stuff....

    > What a good idea on something that will be out of date in six months time..
    >
    > SteveH

    That's the life of it.
    caver1

  7. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    Same Guy wrote:
    > Sun, 04 Nov 2007 00:42:11 -0000: written by windows.lovers@gmail.com:
    >
    >> Whats TYAN's 1-800 tech support number so that I can see how they deal
    >> with customers.

    > http://www.tyan.com/contact.aspx
    >
    > 510.440.8808
    >
    > They do not have a 1-800 number.

    What are ones thoughts on Abit boards?
    Been using them myself for quite along time with
    no problems.
    Haven't built a system in awhile and am wondering
    if they are keeping up?
    caver1

  8. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    Sun, 04 Nov 2007 00:42:11 -0000: written by windows.lovers@gmail.com:

    >Whats TYAN's 1-800 tech support number so that I can see how they deal
    >with customers.

    http://www.tyan.com/contact.aspx

    510.440.8808

    They do not have a 1-800 number.

  9. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 00:42:11 -0000, windows.lovers@gmail.com
    wrote:

    >Whats TYAN's 1-800 tech support number so that I can see how they deal
    >with customers.

    Maybe you should try to find it yourself, since there's not
    much point in knowing how their customer support is, if you
    later needed it but couldn't figure out how to get in touch
    with them.... just an ironic thought....

  10. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    kony wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 00:42:11 -0000, windows.lovers@gmail.com
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Whats TYAN's 1-800 tech support number so that I can see how they deal
    >> with customers.

    > Maybe you should try to find it yourself, since there's not
    > much point in knowing how their customer support is, if you
    > later needed it but couldn't figure out how to get in touch
    > with them.... just an ironic thought....

    I was wondering what problem he was going to give
    them?
    caver1

  11. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    Same Guy wrote:
    > Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:37:50 -0700: written by larry moe 'n curly
    > :

    > >How good is Tyan?

    > TYAN is my MB of choice. I have 3 boards running in different computers
    > right now with two of them about 8 years old and still running strong.
    >
    > I tried an ASUS P4S800D-E Deluxe once and found 3 issues with it after I
    > started to tap into its full capabilities.
    >
    > - 1 of the RAM slots would see but not access a stick of Micron RAM in
    > placed in there and I did extensive tests swapping sticks and changing
    > settings to see if it was something other than defective.
    >
    > - One of the onboard USB 2.0 ports failed.
    >
    > - The LAN port would randomly lose its connection and this would occur
    > more frequently as the board aged (1 year) . I tried using different
    > cables and found that I had no issues after installing a dedicated NIC
    > card.
    >
    > After this experience I went back to TYAN (Tomcat K8E-SLI S2866) and it
    > just feels more solid to me. I'll be using the ASUS for a HTPC where I
    > won't need to max it out.
    >
    > Regarding TYAN tech support, I found one issue with the Tomcat K8E-SLI
    > S2866 and tech support was reachable and very responsive to email. That
    > issue turned out to be a cheapo mouse I had and not the board itself.
    >
    > Personally, I plan on sticking w/TYAN for all my future boards.

    I forgot that Tomcats were Tyans. Every Tomcat mobo owner I've known
    has liked theirs a lot.

  12. Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

    Sun, 04 Nov 2007 14:09:00 -0500: written by kony :

    >On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 00:42:11 -0000, windows.lovers@gmail.com
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Whats TYAN's 1-800 tech support number so that I can see how they deal
    >>with customers.

    >Maybe you should try to find it yourself, since there's not
    >much point in knowing how their customer support is, if you
    >later needed it but couldn't figure out how to get in touch
    >with them.... just an ironic thought....

    I was tempted to post such a statement, but was unable to do so in a
    semi-polite manner. Thanks for addressing this point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2