Hardware RAID -- how to know when a disk is bad - Hardware

This is a discussion on Hardware RAID -- how to know when a disk is bad - Hardware ; If I have a linux system with a hardware raid... (RAID 5). The point of this, as you know is to preserve the data when one disk goes bad. I want to know as soon as possible when a disk ...

  1. Hardware RAID -- how to know when a disk is bad

    If I have a linux system with a hardware raid... (RAID 5). The point
    of this, as you know is to preserve the data when one disk goes bad.

    I want to know as soon as possible when a disk is bad, so that I can
    replace it before any other disks die.

    How can I check that with linux, programmatically, in scripts?

    if /usr/bin/is-raid-bad /dev/raid; then
    echo Raid is bad, replace drive ASAP | Mail -s EMERGENCY root
    fi

    obviously there is no program /usr/bin/is-raid-bad, bus is there
    something out there that I could use?

    thanks

  2. Re: Hardware RAID -- how to know when a disk is bad

    Ignoramus19538 wrote:
    > If I have a linux system with a hardware raid... (RAID 5). The point
    > of this, as you know is to preserve the data when one disk goes bad.
    >
    > I want to know as soon as possible when a disk is bad, so that I can
    > replace it before any other disks die.
    >
    > How can I check that with linux, programmatically, in scripts?
    >
    > if /usr/bin/is-raid-bad /dev/raid; then
    > echo Raid is bad, replace drive ASAP | Mail -s EMERGENCY root
    > fi
    >
    > obviously there is no program /usr/bin/is-raid-bad, bus is there
    > something out there that I could use?
    >
    > thanks

    Depends on what hardware you're actually running - something you
    forgot to mention. SNMP or IPMI based solutions are common. You
    might want to take a look at some system monitoring programs (e.g.,
    nagios) to see how it's be implemented elsewhere.

    Doug

  3. Re: Hardware RAID -- how to know when a disk is bad

    Ignoramus19538 wrote:
    > If I have a linux system with a hardware raid... (RAID 5). The point
    > of this, as you know is to preserve the data when one disk goes bad.
    >
    > I want to know as soon as possible when a disk is bad, so that I can
    > replace it before any other disks die.

    Most hardware raid systems tell you this by some red LED, a buzzer or
    maybe you can see it from a terminal program connected to a serial port on
    the raid system.

    > How can I check that with linux, programmatically, in scripts?

    This depends completely on your hardware.

    Another thing to consider is to run RAID 5 with one or more hot spare
    disks, or if you are really careful you might even want to run RAID 6
    instead. But again, support for hot spare disks and RAID 6 depends on your
    hardware.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  4. Re: Hardware RAID -- how to know when a disk is bad

    On 2007-11-01, Ignoramus19538 wrote:
    > If I have a linux system with a hardware raid... (RAID 5). The point
    > of this, as you know is to preserve the data when one disk goes bad.
    >
    > I want to know as soon as possible when a disk is bad, so that I can
    > replace it before any other disks die.
    >
    > How can I check that with linux, programmatically, in scripts?
    >
    > if /usr/bin/is-raid-bad /dev/raid; then
    > echo Raid is bad, replace drive ASAP | Mail -s EMERGENCY root
    > fi
    >
    > obviously there is no program /usr/bin/is-raid-bad, bus is there
    > something out there that I could use?

    As others have already mentioned, it depends on the controller. Check
    the manufacturer's web site to see if they have software. 3ware
    definitely does; Adaptec does for at least some of their cards.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  5. Re: Hardware RAID -- how to know when a disk is bad

    On 2007-11-01, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    > Ignoramus19538 wrote:
    >> If I have a linux system with a hardware raid... (RAID 5). The point
    >> of this, as you know is to preserve the data when one disk goes bad.
    >>
    >> I want to know as soon as possible when a disk is bad, so that I can
    >> replace it before any other disks die.

    > Most hardware raid systems tell you this by some red LED, a buzzer or
    > maybe you can see it from a terminal program connected to a serial port on
    > the raid system.

    The computer will be unattended in a server room. LEDs are of no help.

    >> How can I check that with linux, programmatically, in scripts?

    > This depends completely on your hardware.
    >
    > Another thing to consider is to run RAID 5 with one or more hot spare
    > disks, or if you are really careful you might even want to run RAID 6
    > instead. But again, support for hot spare disks and RAID 6 depends on your
    > hardware.

    I was hoping that there is something simple.

  6. Re: Hardware RAID -- how to know when a disk is bad

    On 2007-11-01, Keith Keller wrote:
    > On 2007-11-01, Ignoramus19538 wrote:
    >> If I have a linux system with a hardware raid... (RAID 5). The point
    >> of this, as you know is to preserve the data when one disk goes bad.
    >>
    >> I want to know as soon as possible when a disk is bad, so that I can
    >> replace it before any other disks die.
    >>
    >> How can I check that with linux, programmatically, in scripts?
    >>
    >> if /usr/bin/is-raid-bad /dev/raid; then
    >> echo Raid is bad, replace drive ASAP | Mail -s EMERGENCY root
    >> fi
    >>
    >> obviously there is no program /usr/bin/is-raid-bad, bus is there
    >> something out there that I could use?

    > As others have already mentioned, it depends on the controller. Check
    > the manufacturer's web site to see if they have software. 3ware
    > definitely does; Adaptec does for at least some of their cards.

    This will be a 3ware controller!!!

  7. Re: Hardware RAID -- how to know when a disk is bad

    On 2007-11-02, Ignoramus19538 wrote:

    > This will be a 3ware controller!!!

    Then you're good to go. There are two ways to go; briefly, you can cron
    the CLI interface and parse the output, or you can run the 3dm2 daemon,
    which can be configured to send email on alert events. An in-depth
    discussion is a little offtopic, but the 3ware site has a decent
    knowledgebase and the documentation is reasonable.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  8. Re: Hardware RAID -- how to know when a disk is bad

    At Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:29:51 -0500 Ignoramus19538 wrote:

    > If I have a linux system with a hardware raid... (RAID 5). The point
    > of this, as you know is to preserve the data when one disk goes bad.
    >
    > I want to know as soon as possible when a disk is bad, so that I can
    > replace it before any other disks die.
    >
    > How can I check that with linux, programmatically, in scripts?
    >
    > if /usr/bin/is-raid-bad /dev/raid; then
    > echo Raid is bad, replace drive ASAP | Mail -s EMERGENCY root
    > fi
    >
    > obviously there is no program /usr/bin/is-raid-bad, bus is there
    > something out there that I could use?

    If you are using a DAC960 flavor controller (Mylex), the DAC960 driver
    provides a status 'file' under /proc/rd/... that contains this
    information. I've written a pair of Tcl scripts (one console-based, one
    GUI-based) that provide a friendly front end.

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/mylexui/

    > thanks

    heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

+ Reply to Thread