PATA drive - dma_timeouts and system lockups - Hardware

This is a discussion on PATA drive - dma_timeouts and system lockups - Hardware ; Chaps, a while back I experienced problems with dma_timeouts on one of my drives which was causing it to deselect dma and slow things down somewhat. This week, whilst trying to sort out some backup issues, and therefore working the ...

  1. PATA drive - dma_timeouts and system lockups

    Chaps,

    a while back I experienced problems with dma_timeouts on one of my drives
    which was causing it to deselect dma and slow things down somewhat. This
    week, whilst trying to sort out some backup issues, and therefore working
    the disk quite hard, this problem has reared its head again along with some
    system freezes. Funny thing is, on re-boot, once the journal is replayed,
    all is good again.

    I'm wondering, is this really a drive failure or is this some hardware issue
    between a fairly new PATA drive and a several years old motherboard?
    Normally when hard drives have been on their way I've had then either start
    to corrupt data, or give the click of death or just completely die in a
    very short period of time. Nothing like I am seeing now.

    Googling for my motherboard and disk did not reveal much, someone somewhere
    has had issues with any possible hardware combination - were isolated
    issues but could not see any major outright problem.

    So chaps, do you think my drive is on the way out or is it a hardware issue?
    Just wondering whether a replacement drive or replacement motherboard is
    appropriate, unless there is an obscure hdparm fix.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: PATA drive - dma_timeouts and system lockups

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:00:14 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Peter Chant
    wrote:

    > do you think my drive is on the way out or is it a hardware issue?

    Tried changing the cable?

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  3. Re: PATA drive - dma_timeouts and system lockups

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > Chaps,
    >
    > a while back I experienced problems with dma_timeouts on one of my drives
    > which was causing it to deselect dma and slow things down somewhat. This
    > week, whilst trying to sort out some backup issues, and therefore working
    > the disk quite hard, this problem has reared its head again along with
    > some
    > system freezes. Funny thing is, on re-boot, once the journal is replayed,
    > all is good again.
    >
    > I'm wondering, is this really a drive failure or is this some hardware
    > issue between a fairly new PATA drive and a several years old motherboard?
    > Normally when hard drives have been on their way I've had then either
    > start to corrupt data, or give the click of death or just completely die
    > in a
    > very short period of time. Nothing like I am seeing now.
    >
    > Googling for my motherboard and disk did not reveal much, someone
    > somewhere has had issues with any possible hardware combination - were
    > isolated issues but could not see any major outright problem.
    >
    > So chaps, do you think my drive is on the way out or is it a hardware
    > issue? Just wondering whether a replacement drive or replacement
    > motherboard is appropriate, unless there is an obscure hdparm fix.
    >
    > Pete

    I had a pata drive do exactly that. Soon after, it began showing bad
    clusters. I (foolishly) wrote zeros over everything and then ran the
    manufacturer's utility to low-level format. It was as good as new for
    about a year ... then did it all again. AND SO DID I! Eight months
    later brought round three at which time I chucked it out.

    Mine was an 80gig; about 18 months old when it first turned on me.
    Cheap to replace. If your drive is replaceable for not a lot of
    dinero, then I'd try that first.

    Roby

  4. Re: PATA drive - dma_timeouts and system lockups

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    > Tried changing the cable?

    Hadn't thought of that one. Quick and cheap if it works so I like it.
    Probally a good idea to move the second hard drive (the one in question I
    think to hdd from hdb separate controllers might speed things up a little.
    Don't think there is an issue nowadays having the drive with the data on
    sharing an interface with the DVD burner?

    Machine rock solid today with no changes.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  5. Re: PATA drive - dma_timeouts and system lockups

    Roby wrote:

    > I had a pata drive do exactly that. Soon after, it began showing bad
    > clusters. I (foolishly) wrote zeros over everything and then ran the
    > manufacturer's utility to low-level format. It was as good as new for
    > about a year ... then did it all again. AND SO DID I! Eight months
    > later brought round three at which time I chucked it out.

    Not needed to reformat.

    When I was younger and more foolish I bought a drive cheap off my brother's
    mates brother. Part of the disk was duff (I knew it was not 100% that's
    why it was cheap), so I deduced which part of the disk was duff and
    repartioned the disk around it and ignored the dodgy partition. Well,
    surprisingly that lasted at least six months, perhaps a year but it was not
    a great shock when things started to go down hill.

    > Mine was an 80gig; about 18 months old when it first turned on me.
    > Cheap to replace. If your drive is replaceable for not a lot of
    > dinero, then I'd try that first.

    Well, I've backed up and the cable thing is cheaper! The disk failure on
    the other machine, about a month back, basically made horrible noises hung
    about two or three times and then refused to boot with the disk attached to
    the cable. Not in that territory - fortunately.

    Thanks guys.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  6. Re: PATA drive - dma_timeouts and system lockups

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > Chaps,
    >
    > a while back I experienced problems with dma_timeouts on one of my drives

    OK, bit odd to follow up myself but posting in case this is useful to
    others.

    Just enabled smart (smartctl) and set up a cron job to mail me the smart
    status daily. At present it says the disks are fine. Once I'm happy I
    could make a more elaborate script that only emailed if it did not pass.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  7. Re: PATA drive - dma_timeouts and system lockups

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:00:14 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, Peter Chant
    > wrote:
    >
    >> do you think my drive is on the way out or is it a hardware issue?

    > Tried changing the cable?

    BINGO - Had a crash again (heavy CPU load, crashed the machine). Moved
    drive onto other cable. Heavy load again, solid as a rock so far.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  8. Re: PATA drive - dma_timeouts and system lockups

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > Peter Chant wrote:
    >
    >> Chaps,
    >>
    >> a while back I experienced problems with dma_timeouts on one of my drives

    > OK, bit odd to follow up myself but posting in case this is useful to
    > others.
    >
    > Just enabled smart (smartctl) and set up a cron job to mail me the smart
    > status daily. At present it says the disks are fine. Once I'm happy I
    > could make a more elaborate script that only emailed if it did not pass.

    You won't need a script. Mailing on errors is one of the features smartctl
    offers, just read the manpage

  9. Re: PATA drive - dma_timeouts and system lockups

    Walter Mautner wrote:

    > You won't need a script. Mailing on errors is one of the features smartctl
    > offers, just read the manpage

    No mention in the smartctl manpage. However, it is in the smartd manpage -
    come on, I never even knew smartctl existed five days ago!

    Pete
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  10. Re: PATA drive - dma_timeouts and system lockups

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > Walter Mautner wrote:
    >

    >> You won't need a script. Mailing on errors is one of the features
    >> smartctl offers, just read the manpage

    > No mention in the smartctl manpage. However, it is in the smartd manpage
    > - come on, I never even knew smartctl existed five days ago!

    Ok, yes, I mangled it once again. It is smartd