Looking for a video solution - Hardware

This is a discussion on Looking for a video solution - Hardware ; Does anyone know who makes or where to buy any of the following? I'm looking to use in a HTPC running Myth under Ubuntu 7.04. - A micro-ATX motherboard with onboard video that has some form of component video (RCA) ...

  1. Looking for a video solution

    Does anyone know who makes or where to buy any of the following? I'm
    looking to use in a HTPC running Myth under Ubuntu 7.04.

    - A micro-ATX motherboard with onboard video that has some form of
    component video (RCA) out. S-Video to component adapter is fine, I
    already own the adapter. Preferably with MPEG2 decoding in hardware.

    - A _low_profile_ video card that has some form of component video
    (RCA) out. S-Video to component adapter is fine, I already own the
    adapter. Preferably with MPEG2 decoding in hardware.

    - A small and preferably pretty cheap VGA to component video adapter.

    I prefer nVidia based cards/boards due to slightly better support
    under Ubuntu, but at this point I might be willing to compromise.
    Anyone have any leads?
    -Will

  2. Re: Looking for a video solution

    SleepyWeasel01@gmail.com wrote:

    > Does anyone know who makes or where to buy any of the
    > following? I'm looking to use in a HTPC running Myth under
    > Ubuntu 7.04.

    What you want is a DXR3 card. With one of those you can watch
    MPEG2 encoded material even with a "dead" slow Pentium1 @ 100MHz
    clock. There are DVB reciever cards (called premium cards),
    which come with a similair MPEG2 decoder. If you want do build a
    PVR I highly recommend one of those.

    Have a look at this:
    http://dxr3.sourceforge.net/

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867

  3. Re: Looking for a video solution

    On Oct 30, 10:48 am, Wolfgang Draxinger
    wrote:
    > What you want is a DXR3 card. With one of those you can watch
    > MPEG2 encoded material even with a "dead" slow Pentium1 @ 100MHz
    > clock. There are DVB reciever cards (called premium cards),
    > which come with a similair MPEG2 decoder. If you want do build a
    > PVR I highly recommend one of those.

    I took a look at the few descriptions I could find on the web and
    found two complications: no one seems to make new cards, only used
    ones and none of them appear to be low profile. I'm looking to use
    either APEX DM-317-A or Foxconn
    DH848-SV250-2N
    as the case and both seem to require low profile
    expansion cards. The motherboard I'm currently looking at is an href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?
    Item=N82E16813135057">ECS C51G-M754 but it only has VGA out, and I
    want to connect this to a TV using composite/component (RCA) output.
    So I either need a different motherboard, a video card with TV-out or
    an external converter. The MPEG2 decoding in hardware would be nice,
    but since this is likely going to be a front-end box only, I can
    probably afford the CPU hit for software based decoding. I already
    have a backend/frontend with two Hauppauge PVR-150s and a Hauppauge
    PVR-350 that will do most of my encoding, at least until I splurge for
    a couple of pcHDTV HD-5500 cards...
    -Will

+ Reply to Thread