Help: Which Fedora distro fits in my pc? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Help: Which Fedora distro fits in my pc? - Hardware ; Hello, My computer is pretty old. CPU: P3 1GHz RAM: 384 MB HD: 80 GB GPU: Geforce 2 MX 400 64 MB I wanna know which Fedora most fits in my pc. I hope that this distro can run well ...

  1. Help: Which Fedora distro fits in my pc?

    Hello,

    My computer is pretty old.
    CPU: P3 1GHz
    RAM: 384 MB
    HD: 80 GB
    GPU: Geforce 2 MX 400 64 MB

    I wanna know which Fedora most fits in my pc. I hope that this distro can
    run well in my box and won't take much resource.

    Thank you very much~

    Regards,

    Amy Lee

  2. Re: Help: Which Fedora distro fits in my pc?

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:06:41 +0800, Amy Lee wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > My computer is pretty old.
    > CPU: P3 1GHz
    > RAM: 384 MB
    > HD: 80 GB
    > GPU: Geforce 2 MX 400 64 MB
    >
    > I wanna know which Fedora most fits in my pc. I hope that this distro
    > can run well in my box and won't take much resource.
    >
    > Thank you very much~
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Amy Lee

    Fedora will run OK on that box, the processor is fast enough but the RAM
    is a little light. If you up the RAM to 512 or better yet 1G you'll be a
    lot happier.

  3. Re: Help: Which Fedora distro fits in my pc?

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:16:05 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:06:41 +0800, Amy Lee wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> My computer is pretty old.
    >> CPU: P3 1GHz
    >> RAM: 384 MB
    >> HD: 80 GB
    >> GPU: Geforce 2 MX 400 64 MB
    >>
    >> I wanna know which Fedora most fits in my pc. I hope that this distro
    >> can run well in my box and won't take much resource.
    >>
    >> Thank you very much~
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Amy Lee

    > Fedora will run OK on that box, the processor is fast enough but the RAM
    > is a little light. If you up the RAM to 512 or better yet 1G you'll be a
    > lot happier.

    Thanks, and Fedora X is better in my box?

  4. Re: Help: Which Fedora distro fits in my pc?

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:32:01 +0800, Amy Lee wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:16:05 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:06:41 +0800, Amy Lee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> My computer is pretty old.
    >>> CPU: P3 1GHz
    >>> RAM: 384 MB
    >>> HD: 80 GB
    >>> GPU: Geforce 2 MX 400 64 MB
    >>>
    >>> I wanna know which Fedora most fits in my pc. I hope that this distro
    >>> can run well in my box and won't take much resource.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you very much~
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Amy Lee

    >> Fedora will run OK on that box, the processor is fast enough but the
    >> RAM is a little light. If you up the RAM to 512 or better yet 1G you'll
    >> be a lot happier.

    > Thanks, and Fedora X is better in my box?

    The latest Fedora is Fedora 7, that's the one you should use. The
    resource requirements for the Fedora series have been pretty consistent.
    If anything it seems like there has been some speed improvements in the
    latest releases. Fedora 8 (which is in the test stage) feels even quicker
    than 7. However F8 isn't ready yet for general use, I've found a serious
    kernel bug in the 2.6.23 kernel that F8 is using. F7 is pretty solid so
    you should have a good experience with it. As I said in the previous
    post, you can run Fedora on your box and it's performance will be OK as
    long as you don't try to do much multitasking. If you add some RAM you'll
    find that the performance will be quite good.

  5. Re: Help: Which Fedora distro fits in my pc?

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:06:41 +0800, Amy Lee wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > My computer is pretty old.
    > CPU: P3 1GHz
    > RAM: 384 MB
    > HD: 80 GB
    > GPU: Geforce 2 MX 400 64 MB
    >
    > I wanna know which Fedora most fits in my pc. I hope that this distro can
    > run well in my box and won't take much resource.
    >
    > Thank you very much~
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Amy Lee

    If you do succeed in loading Fedora, you'll definitely want to use one of
    the 'lighter' desktops like XFCE or Enlightenment rather than KDE or
    Gnome. I would suggest you try Elive instead - is there a particular
    reason you want Fedora?

  6. Re: Help: Which Fedora distro fits in my pc?

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:10:08 -0600, ray wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:06:41 +0800, Amy Lee wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> My computer is pretty old.
    >> CPU: P3 1GHz
    >> RAM: 384 MB
    >> HD: 80 GB
    >> GPU: Geforce 2 MX 400 64 MB
    >>
    >> I wanna know which Fedora most fits in my pc. I hope that this distro
    >> can run well in my box and won't take much resource.
    >>
    >> Thank you very much~
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Amy Lee

    > If you do succeed in loading Fedora, you'll definitely want to use one
    > of the 'lighter' desktops like XFCE or Enlightenment rather than KDE or
    > Gnome. I would suggest you try Elive instead - is there a particular
    > reason you want Fedora?

    I have one old laptop with a 500MHz PIII and 384M and it's usable for
    basic tasks like running Evolution and Firefox using Fedora Core with
    Gnome. The right solution is to add some RAM, 512M will run much better,
    784 will be even better and 1G would be great.

  7. Re: Help: Which Fedora distro fits in my pc?

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 07:27:38 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:10:08 -0600, ray wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:06:41 +0800, Amy Lee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> My computer is pretty old.
    >>> CPU: P3 1GHz
    >>> RAM: 384 MB
    >>> HD: 80 GB
    >>> GPU: Geforce 2 MX 400 64 MB
    >>>
    >>> I wanna know which Fedora most fits in my pc. I hope that this distro
    >>> can run well in my box and won't take much resource.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you very much~
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Amy Lee

    >> If you do succeed in loading Fedora, you'll definitely want to use one
    >> of the 'lighter' desktops like XFCE or Enlightenment rather than KDE or
    >> Gnome. I would suggest you try Elive instead - is there a particular
    >> reason you want Fedora?

    > I have one old laptop with a 500MHz PIII and 384M and it's usable for
    > basic tasks like running Evolution and Firefox using Fedora Core with
    > Gnome. The right solution is to add some RAM, 512M will run much better,
    > 784 will be even better and 1G would be great.

    500hmz is a far cry from 100mhz. With Gnome or KDE it will crawl.

  8. Re: Help: Which Fedora distro fits in my pc?

    ray (ray@zianet.com) writes:
    > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 07:27:38 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    >>> If you do succeed in loading Fedora, you'll definitely want to use one
    >>> of the 'lighter' desktops like XFCE or Enlightenment rather than KDE or
    >>> Gnome. I would suggest you try Elive instead - is there a particular
    >>> reason you want Fedora?

    >> I have one old laptop with a 500MHz PIII and 384M and it's usable for
    >> basic tasks like running Evolution and Firefox using Fedora Core with
    >> Gnome. The right solution is to add some RAM, 512M will run much better,
    >> 784 will be even better and 1G would be great.

    > 500hmz is a far cry from 100mhz. With Gnome or KDE it will crawl.

    Of course, the original poster is asking about a 1GHz computer, which
    is merely twice the speed of a 500MHz Pentium, and likely it really
    works out to less since I/O is a factor.

    Michael

  9. Re: Help: Which Fedora distro fits in my pc?

    Michael Black wrote:
    > ray (ray@zianet.com) writes:

    >>> I have one old laptop with a 500MHz PIII and 384M and it's usable for
    >>> basic tasks like running Evolution and Firefox using Fedora Core with
    >>> Gnome. The right solution is to add some RAM, 512M will run much better,
    >>> 784 will be even better and 1G would be great.

    >> 500hmz is a far cry from 100mhz. With Gnome or KDE it will crawl.
    >>

    > Of course, the original poster is asking about a 1GHz computer, which
    > is merely twice the speed of a 500MHz Pentium, and likely it really
    > works out to less since I/O is a factor.
    >
    > Michael

    Some of the schools here that all run GNU/Linux on their server and all
    workstations, run Fedora. We take donated computers of 500 mhz to
    1.5Ghz, and the most RAM on any is 512MB on a few teacher systems, while
    all students do fine with 256MB.

    Just now, here in my home lab, I have quite a few fully functional
    desktops, 500 Mhz to 1.5Ghz systems, that have only 256 to 512 MB RAM.
    Most run Mepis, some run PCLinuxOS-p93, Kubuntu-5.04 (Compaq Presario
    5000) due to weirdness with the onboard video.

    when I install a Geforce 4 mx 64 video card, the Compaqs work with much
    more distros.

    It might have something to do with Xorg. Comments welcome.

    Bottom line is that, except for Compaq, every system I have booted with
    GNU/Linux, since 1997, has run fine. I do demonstrations several times
    each month at major retail chain stores. So, that number is in the
    thousands.

    Thats the facts.

  10. Re: Help: Which Fedora distro fits in my pc?

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:43:48 +0000, Michael Black wrote:

    > ray (ray@zianet.com) writes:

    >>> I have one old laptop with a 500MHz PIII and 384M and it's usable for
    >>> basic tasks like running Evolution and Firefox using Fedora Core with
    >>> Gnome. The right solution is to add some RAM, 512M will run much better,
    >>> 784 will be even better and 1G would be great.

    >> 500hmz is a far cry from 100mhz. With Gnome or KDE it will crawl.
    >>

    > Of course, the original poster is asking about a 1GHz computer, which
    > is merely twice the speed of a 500MHz Pentium, and likely it really
    > works out to less since I/O is a factor.
    >
    > Michael

    My mistake - chalk that up to a senior moment - I had registered it as
    100mhz.

  11. Re: Help: Which Fedora distro fits in my pc?

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 13:01:03 -0400, wrote:

    > Michael Black wrote:
    >> ray (ray@zianet.com) writes:

    >>> 500hmz is a far cry from 100mhz. With Gnome or KDE it will crawl.
    >>>

    >> Of course, the original poster is asking about a 1GHz computer, which
    >> is merely twice the speed of a 500MHz Pentium, and likely it really
    >> works out to less since I/O is a factor.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > Some of the schools here that all run GNU/Linux on their server and all
    > workstations, run Fedora. We take donated computers of 500 mhz to
    > 1.5Ghz, and the most RAM on any is 512MB on a few teacher systems, while
    > all students do fine with 256MB.
    >
    > Just now, here in my home lab, I have quite a few fully functional
    > desktops, 500 Mhz to 1.5Ghz systems, that have only 256 to 512 MB RAM.
    > Most run Mepis, some run PCLinuxOS-p93, Kubuntu-5.04 (Compaq Presario
    > 5000) due to weirdness with the onboard video.
    >
    > when I install a Geforce 4 mx 64 video card, the Compaqs work with much
    > more distros.

    If that is an intel chipset, installing the newest, latest intel driver
    works much better.

    > It might have something to do with Xorg. Comments welcome.
    >
    > Bottom line is that, except for Compaq, every system I have booted with
    > GNU/Linux, since 1997, has run fine. I do demonstrations several times
    > each month at major retail chain stores. So, that number is in the
    > thousands.
    >
    > Thats the facts.

+ Reply to Thread