PDA like Linux web pad or tablet PC - Hardware

This is a discussion on PDA like Linux web pad or tablet PC - Hardware ; Hi! I am looking for a PDA replacement in the size of a web pad or tablet PC. Important is that the system (e.g. Linux) turns on instantly - as Palm OS does on a Palm device. I really don't ...

  1. PDA like Linux web pad or tablet PC

    Hi!

    I am looking for a PDA replacement in the size of a web pad or tablet
    PC. Important is that the system (e.g. Linux) turns on instantly - as
    Palm OS does on a Palm device.

    I really don't know whether there are usable solutions with Linux for
    this requirement. So I wanted to ask somebody who might got an idea.

    If You could point out to a general page on this subject, as a start?

    Greetings, forcemaker

  2. Re: PDA like Linux web pad or tablet PC

    forcemaker@gmx.de writes:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I am looking for a PDA replacement in the size of a web pad or tablet
    > PC. Important is that the system (e.g. Linux) turns on instantly - as
    > Palm OS does on a Palm device.
    >
    > I really don't know whether there are usable solutions with Linux for
    > this requirement. So I wanted to ask somebody who might got an idea.
    >
    > If You could point out to a general page on this subject, as a start?

    Take a look at the Nokia N800 and N810.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  3. Re: PDA like Linux web pad or tablet PC

    > Take a look at the Nokia N800 and N810.

    Hi, thanks for advise!

    I am considering a Nokia n810 when it is released in a few weeks in
    Germany (as far as I know...) but I hoped to get a thing with bigger
    display. Still, if there is not "such a thing" I will give it a try
    and take a close look at my local vendor :-)

    Thanks, greetings, forcemaker

  4. Re: PDA like Linux web pad or tablet PC

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 16:06:49 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware, forcemaker@gmx.de
    wrote:

    > I am looking for a PDA replacement in the size of a web pad or tablet
    > PC. Important is that the system (e.g. Linux) turns on instantly - as
    > Palm OS does on a Palm device.
    >
    > I really don't know whether there are usable solutions with Linux for
    > this requirement. So I wanted to ask somebody who might got an idea.
    >
    > If You could point out to a general page on this subject, as a start?

    There's a new Asus Eee laptop due out shortly. Comes preinstalled with a flavour
    of Linux and is meant to boot in 15 seconds. The models range from a 256MB, 2GB
    flash disk to a 1024MB, 8GB flash disk version. All have 10/100 ethernet,
    802.11g, SD card slot and a 7" screen (not sure what resolution that runs at).
    Maybe bigger than you wanted though.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: PDA like Linux web pad or tablet PC

    forcemaker@gmx.de wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I am looking for a PDA replacement in the size of a web pad or tablet
    > PC. Important is that the system (e.g. Linux) turns on instantly - as
    > Palm OS does on a Palm device.
    >
    > I really don't know whether there are usable solutions with Linux for
    > this requirement. So I wanted to ask somebody who might got an idea.
    >
    > If You could point out to a general page on this subject, as a start?
    >
    > Greetings, forcemaker

    http://google.com/linux is a good start, too.

  6. Re: PDA like Linux web pad or tablet PC

    On 27 Oct, 17:23, forcemaker wrote:
    > I am considering a Nokia n810 when it is released in a few weeks in
    > Germany (as far as I know...) but I hoped to get a thing with bigger
    > display. Still, if there is not "such a thing" I will give it a try
    > and take a close look at my local vendor :-)

    Have a look at this:
    http://www.pepper.com/
    Expansys in the UK have been selling them.

    I tried the previous one, and it was very good - I prefer the thumb
    keys on this one. Not /exact/y/ instant on, but not far off it.

+ Reply to Thread