Re: New laptop - hardware questions - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: New laptop - hardware questions - Hardware ; General Schvantzkopf wrote: [putolin] > Make sure you get the Intel Wireless option not the default option. Intel > wireless is completely supported in Linux. The other option that they > offer is an unknown, if it's Broadcom you'll be ...

  1. Re: New laptop - hardware questions

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    [putolin]

    > Make sure you get the Intel Wireless option not the default option. Intel
    > wireless is completely supported in Linux. The other option that they
    > offer is an unknown, if it's Broadcom you'll be completely screwed.

    How so? the broadcom wireless in my Dell works perfectly with the Fedora 7
    broadcom kernel module. You just need the latest kernel, the one that
    comes in the DVD install iso is flawed.

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  2. Re: New laptop - hardware questions

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:26:53 -0400, Baho Utot wrote:

    > General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >
    > [putolin]
    >
    >> Make sure you get the Intel Wireless option not the default option.
    >> Intel wireless is completely supported in Linux. The other option that
    >> they offer is an unknown, if it's Broadcom you'll be completely
    >> screwed.

    > How so? the broadcom wireless in my Dell works perfectly with the Fedora
    > 7 broadcom kernel module. You just need the latest kernel, the one that
    > comes in the DVD install iso is flawed.

    I'm running the latest kernel, it's hopeless.

  3. Re: New laptop - hardware questions

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:26:53 -0400, Baho Utot wrote:
    >
    >> General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >>
    >> [putolin]
    >>
    >>> Make sure you get the Intel Wireless option not the default option.
    >>> Intel wireless is completely supported in Linux. The other option that
    >>> they offer is an unknown, if it's Broadcom you'll be completely
    >>> screwed.

    >> How so? the broadcom wireless in my Dell works perfectly with the Fedora
    >> 7 broadcom kernel module. You just need the latest kernel, the one that
    >> comes in the DVD install iso is flawed.

    > I'm running the latest kernel, it's hopeless.

    I don't understand that as my broadcom in my Isperion 1501 works great on
    Fedora 7. That was the major reason for me to go to Fedora 7 from Fedora
    core 6. With the kernel from the install DVD performance was terrible but
    with the kernel updated with yum works better than very good. I use to use
    ndis with this under Core 6. I wanted to use the kernel "driver" for
    broadcom so that every time I do something kernel related (upgrade) I
    didn't lose my wireless until I reinstalled ndis. If I can find my notes I
    can post them here, maybe it work for you too?

    But here is what I remember from memory
    I got most of the information here:
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#caveats

    If I remember correctly I used the fw-cutter and the firmware tarball from
    that site and followed their instructions and I was up and running in 15
    minutes. The only-est thing that I needed to do was to put an alias into
    modprobe.conf so the Fedora 7 KDE "Network" tool would find it an allow me
    to configure the interface using the GUI "tools".

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  4. Re: New laptop - hardware questions

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 09:43:47 -0400, Baho Utot wrote:

    > General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:26:53 -0400, Baho Utot wrote:
    >>
    >>> General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [putolin]

    >>> How so? the broadcom wireless in my Dell works perfectly with the
    >>> Fedora 7 broadcom kernel module. You just need the latest kernel, the
    >>> one that comes in the DVD install iso is flawed.

    >> I'm running the latest kernel, it's hopeless.

    > I don't understand that as my broadcom in my Isperion 1501 works great
    > on Fedora 7. That was the major reason for me to go to Fedora 7 from
    > Fedora core 6. With the kernel from the install DVD performance was
    > terrible but with the kernel updated with yum works better than very
    > good. I use to use ndis with this under Core 6. I wanted to use the
    > kernel "driver" for broadcom so that every time I do something kernel
    > related (upgrade) I didn't lose my wireless until I reinstalled ndis.
    > If I can find my notes I can post them here, maybe it work for you too?
    >
    > But here is what I remember from memory I got most of the information
    > here:
    > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#caveats
    >
    > If I remember correctly I used the fw-cutter and the firmware tarball
    > from that site and followed their instructions and I was up and running
    > in 15 minutes. The only-est thing that I needed to do was to put an
    > alias into modprobe.conf so the Fedora 7 KDE "Network" tool would find
    > it an allow me to configure the interface using the GUI "tools".

    My Compaq is several years old, you probably have a different Broadcom
    chip than I do. I'm also running 64 bit Fedora. I have the 64 bit XP
    driver which I've tried both with 64 bit Ndiswrapper and with FWcutter
    plus the native driver. It's not worth putting any effort into this,
    wireless isn't that important. I'm planning on getting a new laptop early
    next year when the 45nm Core2s come out. That machine will have an Intel
    wireless chip so I won't have to deal with the pain of trying to get the
    piece of **** Broadcom chip to work.

+ Reply to Thread