Trouble writing CD-R from DVD recorder - Hardware

This is a discussion on Trouble writing CD-R from DVD recorder - Hardware ; I have an LG DVD recorder that supports a whole pile of formats, including CD-R and CD-RW. The drive can read/write anything except the CD-R and CD-RW. Every time I try to record to CD-R I get this: ---------- # ...

  1. Trouble writing CD-R from DVD recorder

    I have an LG DVD recorder that supports a whole pile of formats, including CD-R and CD-RW.
    The drive can read/write anything except the CD-R and CD-RW. Every time I try to record
    to CD-R I get this:
    ----------
    # cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 speed=16 image.iso
    cdrecord: No write mode specified.
    cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
    cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
    cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2005 Jörg Schilling
    NOTE: This version contains the OSS DVD extensions for cdrtools and thus may
    have bugs related to DVD issues that are not present in the original
    cdrtools. Please send bug reports or support requests to
    http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla The original cdrtools author should
    not be bothered with problems in this version.
    TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
    scsidev: 'ATAPI:1,1,0'
    devname: 'ATAPI'
    scsibus: 1 target: 1 lun: 0
    Use of ATA is preferred over ATAPI.
    Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
    Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
    Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    SCSI buffer size: 64512
    atapi: 1
    Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    Version : 0
    Response Format: 2
    Capabilities :
    Vendor_info : 'HL-DT-ST'
    Identifikation : 'DVD+-RW GWA4164B'
    Revision : 'D108'
    Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
    Current: 0x0000
    Profile: 0x002B
    Profile: 0x001B
    Profile: 0x001A
    Profile: 0x0014
    Profile: 0x0013
    Profile: 0x0011
    Profile: 0x0010
    Profile: 0x000A
    Profile: 0x0009
    Profile: 0x0008
    Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
    Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
    Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
    FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB
    Track 01: data 97 MB
    Total size: 111 MB (11:02.89) = 49717 sectors
    Lout start: 111 MB (11:04/67) = 49717 sectors
    cdrecord: Input/output error. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: no error
    CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00
    status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
    Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0E 00 00 00 00 3A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
    Sense Code: 0x3A Qual 0x00 (medium not present) Fru 0x0
    Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
    cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s
    cdrecord: No disk / Wrong disk!
    #
    ------------------------------

    I can write to DVD-Rs no problem, etc. And I can read CD-R and CDs without problem.

    Anyone know what might cause this?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Trouble writing CD-R from DVD recorder

    Mark Bratcher staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I have an LG DVD recorder that supports a whole pile of formats,
    > [but] every time I try to record to CD-R I get this:

    > # cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 speed=16 image.iso

    It's usually better to use the raw device, often /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd
    for IDE DVD+-RWs, despite Joerg's complaining about it. Works great;
    I've been doing that with all my CD/DVD+-RWs ever since the 2.6 kernel
    came out.

    > Use of ATA is preferred over ATAPI.
    > Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
    > The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
    > There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.

    ....like the warning messages say, this is not recommended.

    > Vendor_info : 'HL-DT-ST' Identifikation : 'DVD+-RW GWA4164B'
    > Revision : 'D108'

    Mine:
    Vendor_info : 'HL-DT-ST' Identifikation : 'DVD-RAM GSA-H22L'
    Revision : '1.00'

    ....so relatively different.

    > cdrecord: Input/output error. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: no error
    > status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
    > Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0E 00 00 00 00 3A
    > Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0

    Yep, this or similar errors are what I remember from trying to use ATA:
    and ATAPI: .

    > I can write to DVD-Rs no problem, etc.

    Using the exact same command? Odd. I haven't had any problems writing
    CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, or DVD-R with this drive (problems were mostly with
    the @#$%^ing cheap-arse motherboard I had for 6 months, argh.) So
    something's off somewhere.

    --
    So, what do *you* do for a living?
    I sit in a chair, pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers

  3. Re: Trouble writing CD-R from DVD recorder

    Mark Bratcher wrote:
    > # cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 speed=16 image.iso

    Try this one:

    cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd speed=1 padsize=63s -pad -dao -v -eject image.iso

    Where /dev/hdd is your dvd writer drive.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  4. Re: Trouble writing CD-R from DVD recorder

    In article <471e756d$0$25689$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    Mark Bratcher wrote:
    >I have an LG DVD recorder that supports a whole pile of formats, including CD-R and CD-RW.
    >The drive can read/write anything except the CD-R and CD-RW. Every time I try to record
    >to CD-R I get this:
    >----------
    ># cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 speed=16 image.iso
    >cdrecord: No write mode specified.
    >cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
    >cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
    >cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
    >Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2005 Jörg Schilling
    >NOTE: This version contains the OSS DVD extensions for cdrtools and thus may
    > have bugs related to DVD issues that are not present in the original
    > cdrtools. Please send bug reports or support requests to
    > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla The original cdrtools author should
    > not be bothered with problems in this version.
    >TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
    >scsidev: 'ATAPI:1,1,0'
    >devname: 'ATAPI'
    >scsibus: 1 target: 1 lun: 0
    >Use of ATA is preferred over ATAPI.
    >Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.

    You made some mistakes....

    1) This is not cdrecord but a bastardized variant that is known to
    have massive problems.

    Use the latest official cdrtools instead:

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    Make sure to install cdrecord suid root.

    2) You used dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 which is just an interface to allow
    CD/DVD writing with PCMCIA connected drives without causing
    a Linux kernel panic.

    If you have exactly one drive in your system, you may omit dev=
    completely.

    If you have more drives, run cdrecord -scanbus and select the
    right drive.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  5. Re: Trouble writing CD-R from DVD recorder

    In article ,
    Dances With Crows wrote:
    >Mark Bratcher staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >> I have an LG DVD recorder that supports a whole pile of formats,
    >> [but] every time I try to record to CD-R I get this:

    >> # cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 speed=16 image.iso

    >It's usually better to use the raw device, often /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd

    No, it is definitely worse to use a parameter that if flagged "unsupported"
    and deprecated.

    Why do you like to use dev= at all? Cdrecord does not need it in case
    you only have one drive.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  6. Re: Trouble writing CD-R from DVD recorder

    Joerg Schilling wrote:
    > In article <471e756d$0$25689$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    > Mark Bratcher wrote:
    >> I have an LG DVD recorder that supports a whole pile of formats, including CD-R and CD-RW.
    >> The drive can read/write anything except the CD-R and CD-RW. Every time I try to record
    >> to CD-R I get this:
    >> ----------
    >> # cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 speed=16 image.iso
    >> cdrecord: No write mode specified.
    >> cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
    >> cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
    >> cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
    >> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2005 Jörg Schilling
    >> NOTE: This version contains the OSS DVD extensions for cdrtools and thus may
    >> have bugs related to DVD issues that are not present in the original
    >> cdrtools. Please send bug reports or support requests to
    >> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla The original cdrtools author should
    >> not be bothered with problems in this version.
    >> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
    >> scsidev: 'ATAPI:1,1,0'
    >> devname: 'ATAPI'
    >> scsibus: 1 target: 1 lun: 0
    >> Use of ATA is preferred over ATAPI.
    >> Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.

    > You made some mistakes....
    >
    > 1) This is not cdrecord but a bastardized variant that is known to
    > have massive problems.
    >
    > Use the latest official cdrtools instead:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/
    >
    > Make sure to install cdrecord suid root.

    I'm using the cdrecord that came with my Fedora Core 5 and it's worked in every case up until now.

    > 2) You used dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 which is just an interface to allow
    > CD/DVD writing with PCMCIA connected drives without causing
    > a Linux kernel panic.
    >
    > If you have exactly one drive in your system, you may omit dev=
    > completely.
    >
    > If you have more drives, run cdrecord -scanbus and select the
    > right drive.

    I did run scanbus and I did enter the device as specified. But it claimed it couldn't find it.

    I finally dual booted to Windows and tried the DVD-R there and it wouldn't write to CD-Rs either.
    It would kick open the drive and ask for a blank CD-R even though I loaded one.

    I finally returned the drive to Compgeeks.com and ordered a different brand. Awaiting shipment...

  7. Re: Trouble writing CD-R from DVD recorder

    In article <472fb24b$0$25119$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    Mark Bratcher wrote:
    >Joerg Schilling wrote:
    >> In article <471e756d$0$25689$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    >> Mark Bratcher wrote:
    >>> I have an LG DVD recorder that supports a whole pile of formats, including CD-R and CD-RW.
    >>> The drive can read/write anything except the CD-R and CD-RW. Every time I try to record
    >>> to CD-R I get this:
    >>> ----------
    >>> # cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 speed=16 image.iso
    >>> cdrecord: No write mode specified.
    >>> cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
    >>> cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
    >>> cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
    >>> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2005 Jörg Schilling
    >>> NOTE: This version contains the OSS DVD extensions for cdrtools and thus may
    >>> have bugs related to DVD issues that are not present in the original
    >>> cdrtools. Please send bug reports or support requests to
    >>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla The original cdrtools author should
    >>> not be bothered with problems in this version.
    >>> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
    >>> scsidev: 'ATAPI:1,1,0'
    >>> devname: 'ATAPI'
    >>> scsibus: 1 target: 1 lun: 0
    >>> Use of ATA is preferred over ATAPI.
    >>> Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.

    >> You made some mistakes....
    >>
    >> 1) This is not cdrecord but a bastardized variant that is known to
    >> have massive problems.
    >>
    >> Use the latest official cdrtools instead:
    >>
    >> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/
    >>
    >> Make sure to install cdrecord suid root.

    >I'm using the cdrecord that came with my Fedora Core 5 and it's worked in every case up until now.

    If you do not like help, we should stop this now.

    I told you what to do in order to make it work.
    Why do you stay with the defective fork instead of using the
    working original softwware?

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  8. Re: Trouble writing CD-R from DVD recorder

    Joerg Schilling wrote:

    [putolin]

    > I told you what to do in order to make it work.
    > Why do you stay with the defective fork instead of using the
    > working original softwware?

    Ok so you want me to use wodim then?

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight