wifi[q]: ipw 2100, 2200 - Hardware

This is a discussion on wifi[q]: ipw 2100, 2200 - Hardware ; is there a usb or a pci card with intel ipw2200 or ipw2100?...

  1. wifi[q]: ipw 2100, 2200

    is there a usb or a pci card with intel ipw2200 or ipw2100?

  2. Re: wifi[q]: ipw 2100, 2200

    sndive@gmail.com staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > is there a usb or a pci card with intel ipw2200 or ipw2100?

    There should be, but they may be difficult to find as the 2200 and 2100
    are old tech. In about 5 minutes with pricewatch, I found a PCI-E
    ipw3945 for $30+shipping. (Also a mini-PCI ipw2200, but that interface
    is generally only found on laptops, not desktops.) The ipw3945 also has
    native Linux modules and I've heard reports from plenty of IBM Thinkpad
    users that it works well. So, if PCI-E will work for you, this may be a
    potential solution. HTH,

    --
    Some people are alive only because it is traditional to keep
    torturing the poor guy about being lost in the machine room with an

  3. Re: wifi[q]: ipw 2100, 2200

    I demand that Dances With Crows may or may not have written...

    > sndive@gmail.com staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >> is there a usb or a pci card with intel ipw2200 or ipw2100?

    > There should be, but they may be difficult to find as the 2200 and 2100 are
    > old tech. In about 5 minutes with pricewatch, I found a PCI-E ipw3945 for
    > $30+shipping. (Also a mini-PCI ipw2200, but that interface is generally
    > only found on laptops, not desktops.) The ipw3945 also has native Linux
    > modules and I've heard reports from plenty of IBM Thinkpad users that it
    > works well. So, if PCI-E will work for you, this may be a potential
    > solution.

    I've just had a look at the kernel git repository - it looks very much like
    various mac80211-based drivers have been merged and will be in 2.6.24-rc1. Of
    relevance to me, iwl3945 and rt61 are there; I find that both work with
    wpasupplicant's wext driver (though I built from the wireless-2.6
    repository's "everything" branch), and both do WPA2.

    For anybody who wants to have a look:
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...reless;hb=HEAD

    | + Output *more* particulate pollutants. BUFFER AGAINST GLOBAL WARMING.

    Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

+ Reply to Thread