System Won't Power Up Anymore - Hardware

This is a discussion on System Won't Power Up Anymore - Hardware ; Back in the summer I could power off my computer and come back hours or days later and turn it on with everything being fine. A month ago, maybe when the weather started getting cooler, the system beeped at me ...

  1. System Won't Power Up Anymore

    Back in the summer I could power off my computer and come back hours or
    days later and turn it on with everything being fine. A month ago,
    maybe when the weather started getting cooler, the system beeped at me
    when I turned it on. I found that the fan speed monitor was set for a
    fan speed higher than what was running and that the changing the fan
    speed lower limit to allow it to spin slower would keep the warning
    beeps quiet. If figure that this is OK since the hottest thing in my
    system, even during the summer, is only 44C. After saving my change in
    my BIOS all was well, that is until weeks later when I shut down for a
    couple days again. The beeps were back and my BIOS seemed to need to be
    rewritten, and all was OK again, or so I thought. I shut the computer
    off while out of town for the weekend. Now it won't power up again.
    This time it won't even activate the monitor, so I can't get to the
    BIOS.

    Help? What can I do?

    My system motherboard is an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye running an Athlon 64-X2.

    Thanks.....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  2. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    On 22 Oct 2007 15:05:23 GMT, nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote:

    >Back in the summer I could power off my computer and come back hours or
    >days later and turn it on with everything being fine. A month ago,
    >maybe when the weather started getting cooler, the system beeped at me
    >when I turned it on. I found that the fan speed monitor was set for a
    >fan speed higher than what was running and that the changing the fan
    >speed lower limit to allow it to spin slower would keep the warning
    >beeps quiet. If figure that this is OK since the hottest thing in my
    >system, even during the summer, is only 44C. After saving my change in
    >my BIOS all was well, that is until weeks later when I shut down for a
    >couple days again. The beeps were back and my BIOS seemed to need to be
    >rewritten, and all was OK again, or so I thought. I shut the computer
    >off while out of town for the weekend. Now it won't power up again.
    >This time it won't even activate the monitor, so I can't get to the
    >BIOS.
    >
    >Help? What can I do?
    >
    >My system motherboard is an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye running an Athlon 64-X2.
    >
    >Thanks.....

    You probably should not have relied on the 44C.

    Try jumpering the CMOS setup to clear it. Read your MoBo manual.

    If the computer still fails to POST, then you can try removing and
    reinstalling all the pieces (RAM, CPU. cards, Etc) trying first to get
    a boot with nothing (including HDs) other than CPU and RAM. When the
    parts really are OK, I have had decent luck R&Ring the CPU.

    But it sure sounds like you fried something.
    --buck

  3. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > Back in the summer I could power off my computer and come back hours or
    > days later and turn it on with everything being fine. A month ago,
    > maybe when the weather started getting cooler, the system beeped at me
    > when I turned it on. I found that the fan speed monitor was set for a
    > fan speed higher than what was running and that the changing the fan
    > speed lower limit to allow it to spin slower would keep the warning
    > beeps quiet. If figure that this is OK since the hottest thing in my
    > system, even during the summer, is only 44C. After saving my change in
    > my BIOS all was well, that is until weeks later when I shut down for a
    > couple days again. The beeps were back and my BIOS seemed to need to be
    > rewritten, and all was OK again, or so I thought. I shut the computer
    > off while out of town for the weekend. Now it won't power up again.
    > This time it won't even activate the monitor, so I can't get to the
    > BIOS.
    >
    > Help? What can I do?
    >
    > My system motherboard is an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye running an Athlon 64-X2.

    CMOS battery?

    --
    -- Marten Kemp
    (Fix name and ISP to reply)

  4. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote in
    news:slrnfhpf0n.g3e.nobody@lwe128481.central.tektr onix.net:

    > off while out of town for the weekend. Now it won't power up again.
    > This time it won't even activate the monitor, so I can't get to the
    > BIOS.

    Does the cpu cooling fan do anthing when you power the system up?

    If the BIOS has a setting to require a minimum CPU fan rpm before startup
    (ABIT NF7's have such a setting) and if that setting is enabled then you
    may never get to the bios screen if the fan is dead or disconnected.

    If the CPU Fan setting is disabled, then something should happen but only
    for a few seconds until the CPU temperature hits the shutdown point. At
    that point an NF7 will beep like crazy but otherwise play dead. I suspect
    that an AV8 may do the same.

    regards,

    mungo

    ------
    The backhoe is the natural predator of the fiber optic cable

  5. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    Mungo writes:
    >If the CPU Fan setting is disabled, then something should happen but only
    >for a few seconds until the CPU temperature hits the shutdown point.

    I guess you mean that the fan is disabled. It may take a few seconds
    if there is no heat sink attached. However, with a heat sink it will
    take several minutes until the CPU overheats.

    As an example, take my first-generation (i.e., power-hungry) Athlon 64
    3200+. It recently hung before reaching 35 degrees Celsius, so the CPU
    fan was not spinning (I had set fancontrol to turn the CPU fan on at
    35 degrees C). After about 20minutes I noticed it. The machine had
    not shut itself down, but on reset it did, and when I started it again
    and entered the BIOS, the temperature was 83 degrees C; quite hot, but
    apparently below the emergency shut-off.

    However, that was with the CPU frequency clocked down to 800MHz (and
    the appropriate voltage reduction), when running at full speed it
    would have reached such a temperature much faster, but still in the
    range of minutes rather than seconds.

    As for the OP, if I understand his problem correctly, he will have to
    lower or turn off the BIOS CPU fan alarm, or use a faster-spinning
    fan.

    - anton

  6. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    buck wrote:
    > On 22 Oct 2007 15:05:23 GMT, nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote:

    > >Back in the summer I could power off my computer and come
    > >back hours or days later and turn it on with everything being
    > >fine. A month ago, maybe when the weather started getting
    > >cooler, the system beeped at me when I turned it on. I found
    > >that the fan speed monitor was set for a fan speed higher than
    > >what was running and that the changing the fan speed lower
    > >limit to allow it to spin slower would keep the warning beeps
    > >quiet. If figure that this is OK since the hottest thing in
    > >my system, even during the summer, is only 44C. After saving
    > >my change in my BIOS all was well, that is until weeks later
    > >when I shut down for a couple days again. The beeps were
    > >back and my BIOS seemed to need to be rewritten, and all was
    > >OK again, or so I thought. I shut the computer off while out
    > >of town for the weekend. Now it won't power up again. This
    > >time it won't even activate the monitor, so I can't get to the
    > >BIOS.
    > >
    > >Help? What can I do?
    > >
    > >My system motherboard is an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye running an Athlon
    > >64-X2.

    > You probably should not have relied on the 44C.

    I'm not sure what you're getting at. Do you think that the
    system could be giving me invalid info on the temperatures?

    > Try jumpering the CMOS setup to clear it. Read your MoBo
    > manual.

    OK.

    > If the computer still fails to POST, then you can try removing
    > and reinstalling all the pieces (RAM, CPU. cards, Etc) trying
    > first to get a boot with nothing (including HDs) other than CPU
    > and RAM. When the parts really are OK, I have had decent luck
    > R&Ring the CPU.

    Divide & conquer. Sounds like a plan. I'll try that.

    > But it sure sounds like you fried something.

    Drag. That's maybe what you meant by not relying on 44C. Is
    there some way to verify system temperatures?

    Thanks for the advice....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  7. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    On 23 Oct 2007 14:24:18 GMT, nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote:

    >buck wrote:
    >> You probably should not have relied on the 44C.

    >I'm not sure what you're getting at. Do you think that the
    >system could be giving me invalid info on the temperatures?

    Yes, it is common for temperatures to be wrong. Sometimes one can
    bend the part that is sensing so it more firmly touches the part to
    moniitor. Also, there are different ways to monitor - BIOS and
    software. The software way is notorious for reporting a different
    temp than BIOS. Neither is necessarily correct. Even a thermometer
    held against the part is somewhat inaccurate, but if you have one that
    goes high enough you might want to compare that to the reading given
    by whatever you're looking at.

    Many systems "scream" when overtemp. Some shut down. Others will not
    POST unless they sense the fans spinning. Some just fry themselves to
    death. Clearing CMOS resets to a state VERY likely to POST (in order
    to minimize support of brand new MoBoards) if the hardware is OK.
    --
    buck

  8. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:05:23 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Back in the summer I could power off my computer and come back hours or
    > days later and turn it on with everything being fine. A month ago,
    > maybe when the weather started getting cooler, the system beeped at me
    > when I turned it on. I found that the fan speed monitor was set for a
    > fan speed higher than what was running and that the changing the fan
    > speed lower limit to allow it to spin slower would keep the warning
    > beeps quiet. If figure that this is OK since the hottest thing in my
    > system, even during the summer, is only 44C. After saving my change in
    > my BIOS all was well, that is until weeks later when I shut down for a
    > couple days again. The beeps were back and my BIOS seemed to need to be
    > rewritten, and all was OK again, or so I thought. I shut the computer
    > off while out of town for the weekend. Now it won't power up again.
    > This time it won't even activate the monitor, so I can't get to the
    > BIOS.
    >
    > Help? What can I do?
    >
    > My system motherboard is an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye running an Athlon 64-X2.

    My previous system had a similar problem, but it was more intermittent.
    Initially, on a reboot or cold boot, the monitor would indicate no
    graphics signal. However, if I'd remove and replaced the graphics card,
    most of the time the system would boot normally. Ah! Bad graphics card
    or oxidized contacts or shorted contact. I replaced the first, cleaned
    and checked for the other, but the problem continued. Fortunately, the
    MSI motherboard had 4 POST diagnostic LEDs on it, and by seeing which
    ones were lit and which were not, one was able to narrow down POSTing
    issues. (Something, I had forgotten about after 5 years of using the
    system and never having anything go wrong.) They indicated a CPU
    problem. At first, I thought it might be overheating, since the system
    would turn off abruptly as if there had been a power failure. I removed
    the CPU and cleaned the heat sink. Cleaned everything, in fact, but the
    problem persisted. I thought, maybe, bad power supply, but all the
    voltages were within specifications. I replaced it, anyway. Still the
    problem. Ultimately, I replaced the CPU and the problem went away. It
    was a slowly failing CPU.

    I suggest with your system to check the power supply first, the cheapest
    thing to replace. You could have a bad RAM chip, bad graphics card,
    etc. Hopefully, it's not a bad CPU.

    Stef

  9. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > Back in the summer I could power off my computer and come back hours or
    > days later and turn it on with everything being fine. A month ago,
    > maybe when the weather started getting cooler, the system beeped at me
    > when I turned it on. I found that the fan speed monitor was set for a
    > fan speed higher than what was running and that the changing the fan
    > speed lower limit to allow it to spin slower would keep the warning
    > beeps quiet. If figure that this is OK since the hottest thing in my
    > system, even during the summer, is only 44C. After saving my change in
    > my BIOS all was well, that is until weeks later when I shut down for a
    > couple days again. The beeps were back and my BIOS seemed to need to be
    > rewritten, and all was OK again, or so I thought. I shut the computer
    > off while out of town for the weekend. Now it won't power up again.
    > This time it won't even activate the monitor, so I can't get to the
    > BIOS.

    Hello, maybe there is a problem with the bios Battery, I have
    experienced that computers with such an empty battery have problems to
    start up. first of all you can check the power supply, make bridge
    between the green and black wire on the socket for the motherborard and
    have a look at starting the power supply.
    Randolf Balasus

  10. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    buck wrote:

    > Yes, it is common for temperatures to be wrong. Sometimes one
    > can bend the part that is sensing so it more firmly touches
    > the part to moniitor. Also, there are different ways to
    > monitor - BIOS and software. The software way is notorious for
    > reporting a different temp than BIOS. Neither is necessarily
    > correct. Even a thermometer held against the part is somewhat
    > inaccurate, but if you have one that goes high enough you might
    > want to compare that to the reading given by whatever you're
    > looking at.

    I think any of the hardware/mechanical issues you mention might
    apply to my system. The software issue is a little different
    for my system. It's a "3rd Eye" version of an ABIT motherboard.
    That means that I have an LC Display that plugs into the board
    and gives me readouts on temperature, voltage, and fan speed of
    all the zones monitored on the board. That doesn't mean they're
    all right, but it's different.

    > Many systems "scream" when overtemp. Some shut down. Others
    > will not POST unless they sense the fans spinning. Some just
    > fry themselves to death. Clearing CMOS resets to a state VERY
    > likely to POST (in order to minimize support of brand new
    > MoBoards) if the hardware is OK.

    I didn't have time to work on it last night. Your suggestions
    are the first things I'll try.

    As for frying something in my system, I'm hoping that there's
    less chance of that because I added extra fans to my system. For
    the added fans I set them to run more slowly, normally around
    760rpm. This causes my BIOS to complain loudly, even though
    there's more cooling than not having the fan in the first place.
    The reason for the extra slow speed fans is to have a quiet
    system. I don't overclock. But, I have considered underclocking
    to quiet my system even more. That "3rd Eye" thing gives me the
    option to run the system in normal, turbo, or quiet modes, and it
    changes the clock rate and fan speeds as one might expect. The
    machine always boots into normal mode, when it boots anyway. I
    usually put the machine into quiet mode.

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  11. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    Marten Kemp wrote:
    > Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > > Back in the summer I could power off my computer and come back hours or
    > > days later and turn it on with everything being fine. A month ago,
    > > maybe when the weather started getting cooler, the system beeped at me
    > > when I turned it on. I found that the fan speed monitor was set for a
    > > fan speed higher than what was running and that the changing the fan
    > > speed lower limit to allow it to spin slower would keep the warning
    > > beeps quiet. If figure that this is OK since the hottest thing in my
    > > system, even during the summer, is only 44C. After saving my change in
    > > my BIOS all was well, that is until weeks later when I shut down for a
    > > couple days again. The beeps were back and my BIOS seemed to need to be
    > > rewritten, and all was OK again, or so I thought. I shut the computer
    > > off while out of town for the weekend. Now it won't power up again.
    > > This time it won't even activate the monitor, so I can't get to the
    > > BIOS.
    > >
    > > Help? What can I do?
    > >
    > > My system motherboard is an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye running an Athlon 64-X2.

    > CMOS battery?

    I just looked at some links about CMOS battery failures that I found
    with a web search. One issue they have that I also have is an apparent
    intermittent failure to remember my last CMOS settings. And, it seems
    to be getting worse on me, which is just what a battery might do.

    I'll look into this.

    Thanks!

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  12. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    Anton Ertl wrote:
    > As for the OP, if I understand his problem correctly, he will have to
    > lower or turn off the BIOS CPU fan alarm, or use a faster-spinning
    > fan.

    I've lowered the BIOS CPU fan speed alarm to minimum. It seems
    that my BIOS changes have not been permanent as of late, and
    I've had to repeat my change to that setting a couple of times.
    Another poster suggested my CMOS battery might be going bad.
    I'll look at that.

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  13. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:51:16 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Marten Kemp wrote:
    >> Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >> > Back in the summer I could power off my computer and come back hours
    >> > or days later and turn it on with everything being fine. A month
    >> > ago, maybe when the weather started getting cooler, the system beeped
    >> > at me when I turned it on. I found that the fan speed monitor was
    >> > set for a fan speed higher than what was running and that the
    >> > changing the fan speed lower limit to allow it to spin slower would
    >> > keep the warning beeps quiet. If figure that this is OK since the
    >> > hottest thing in my system, even during the summer, is only 44C.
    >> > After saving my change in my BIOS all was well, that is until weeks
    >> > later when I shut down for a couple days again. The beeps were back
    >> > and my BIOS seemed to need to be rewritten, and all was OK again, or
    >> > so I thought. I shut the computer off while out of town for the
    >> > weekend. Now it won't power up again. This time it won't even
    >> > activate the monitor, so I can't get to the BIOS.
    >> >
    >> > Help? What can I do?
    >> >
    >> > My system motherboard is an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye running an Athlon 64-X2.

    >> CMOS battery?

    > I just looked at some links about CMOS battery failures that I found
    > with a web search. One issue they have that I also have is an apparent
    > intermittent failure to remember my last CMOS settings. And, it seems
    > to be getting worse on me, which is just what a battery might do.
    >
    > I'll look into this.

    I have a friend whose old system had boot problems related to the CMOS.
    (He was running Windows XP.) It always returned to the defaults and it
    wouldn't remember the time/date. We changed the CMOS battery, but that
    didn't help. We figured that the CMOS chip or its memory was bad. It
    would still boot. You just had to reset BIOS every time.

    The CMOS chip is socketed and changeable, but no computer tech would mess
    with it. The system was old and replacement CMOS chips weren't available
    from the manufacturer.

    Stef

  14. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    Stefan Patric wrote:
    > > My system motherboard is an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye running an Athlon 64-X2.

    [difficult problem story trimmed]

    > I suggest with your system to check the power supply first, the
    > cheapest thing to replace. You could have a bad RAM chip, bad
    > graphics card, etc. Hopefully, it's not a bad CPU.

    Last night I checked the POST code. It was 37, "Test DMA channel 1".
    Per the ABIT troubleshooting section in their manual, I tried
    resetting the CMOS. Still no joy. I replaced the CMOS battery.
    Still broken. I disconnected my internal 50-pin SCSI cable along
    with the power connectors for tape and CD drives attached to that
    cable. The system booted right away after that. Of course, it
    complained about a CMOS checksum and reloaded the defaults. But,
    other than that it was a normal boot. This is starting to look
    like a power supply issue to me. That could be because I've
    overloaded it, or it could be because it's a bit on the weak side
    for the load.

    My PCI slots are all full with ABIT's uGuru external display,
    two sound cards, serial port card, and a SCSI card. Of course
    the AGP slot is full, nVidia in my case. In the drive bays I
    have a CD burner, tape drive, DVD burner, floppy drive, and 3
    hard drives. I also added two big fans to the system. My power
    supply is a Q Technology 460W unit. Did I over do it on the

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  15. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) writes:

    > Stefan Patric wrote:
    > > > My system motherboard is an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye running an Athlon 64-X2.

    > [difficult problem story trimmed]
    > >
    > > I suggest with your system to check the power supply first, the
    > > cheapest thing to replace. You could have a bad RAM chip, bad
    > > graphics card, etc. Hopefully, it's not a bad CPU.

    > Last night I checked the POST code. It was 37, "Test DMA channel 1".
    > Per the ABIT troubleshooting section in their manual, I tried
    > resetting the CMOS. Still no joy. I replaced the CMOS battery.
    > Still broken. I disconnected my internal 50-pin SCSI cable along
    > with the power connectors for tape and CD drives attached to that
    > cable. The system booted right away after that. Of course, it
    > complained about a CMOS checksum and reloaded the defaults. But,
    > other than that it was a normal boot. This is starting to look
    > like a power supply issue to me. That could be because I've
    > overloaded it, or it could be because it's a bit on the weak side
    > for the load.

    This is not an answer, but another idea: could it be a broken SCSI
    cable? Connect the tape and CD drives back up to power and see if it
    still boots. Replace the SCSI cable and see if it boots.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  16. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    On 25 Oct 2007 14:44:39 GMT, nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote:

    >Stefan Patric wrote:
    >> > My system motherboard is an ABIT AV8-3rd Eye running an Athlon 64-X2.

    >[difficult problem story trimmed]
    > My power
    >supply is a Q Technology 460W unit. Did I over do it on the
    >
    >Thanks....

    Not likely.

    At least you now know there's no meltdown.

    Start attaching drives one at a time to isolate the culprit. If the
    same controller runs more than one device, swap the cable to a
    different port. My guess is broken cable or bad controller, but it is
    also possible that one device is bad.
    --
    buck

  17. Re: System Won't Power Up Anymore

    I don't understand any responses to known facts. For example, 'Test
    DMA Channel 1' has no relation to CMOS battery, SCSI cable, etc.
    After all that work, we don't know a single thing about your problem
    other than it still exists. To solve a problem, each system component
    must be identified as definitively good or definitively bad. After
    all that work, not one item is known definitively anything. Nothing
    yet has been accomplished.

    First item that can make everything appear defective is the power
    supply 'system'. That means taking voltage measurements on any one of
    purple, red, orange, and yellow wires from power supply. Somewhere
    was implication that those voltages were good. What were the
    numbers? Were they taken when every peripheral (CD-Rom, NIC, modem,
    hard drive, complex graphics displayed on video, sound card, etc) was
    working simultaneously (multitasking)? And did every number exceed
    3.23, 4.87, or 11.7 volts? Finally you should post each number to get
    further useful information.

    What did system (event) logs report?

    If the system did not come from a responsible computer manufacturer,
    then locate, download, and execute diagnostics from each component
    manufacturer. This is made simpler by limiting those diagnostics to
    devices that can shutdown a system - memory, sound card, video
    controller, CPU, and some motherboard functions. Then repeat each
    test with hardware at much higher (completely normal) temperatures;
    maybe heated with a hairdryer on highest heat.

    However if 'Test DMA Channel 1' was really failing, the failure
    would probably only be recorded by the system (event) log AND the only
    solution would be a motherboard replacement.

    Don't replace a video card, suspect a CMOS battery, or blame dirty
    contacts on a whim. Nothing posted previously even implied those
    actions would fix the failure. Dirty contact problem is a classic
    myth promoted without technical knowledge.

    A computer must work just fine when room is 40 degrees or over 100
    degree F. Massive temperature changes must cause no failures.
    Temperatures in extreme are used to find defective hardware. Adding
    more fans accomplished nothing; may only cure symptoms of defective
    hardware.

    Mentioned were voltage measurements from motherboard monitor. Those
    numbers are for monitoring - detecting changes. If not first
    calibrated with a 3.5 digit multimeter, then those numbers cannot
    identify voltages as definitively good or bad. Those numbers must be
    collected under maximum load (multitasking to all peripherals).

    Above is an abridged discussion. First information necessary are
    voltage numbers from a multimeter and problems recorded in system
    (event) logs. Those numbers then posted here to obtain additional
    useful conclusions.

    On Oct 25, 10:44 am, nob...@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote:
    > Last night I checked the POST code. It was 37, "Test DMA channel 1".
    > Per the ABIT troubleshooting section in their manual, I tried
    > resetting the CMOS. Still no joy. I replaced the CMOS battery.
    > Still broken. I disconnected my internal 50-pin SCSI cable along
    > with the power connectors for tape and CD drives attached to that
    > cable. The system booted right away after that. Of course, it
    > complained about a CMOS checksum and reloaded the defaults. But,
    > other than that it was a normal boot. This is starting to look
    > like apower supplyissue to me. That could be because I've
    > overloaded it, or it could be because it's a bit on the weak side
    > for the load.
    >
    > My PCI slots are all full with ABIT's uGuru external display,
    > two sound cards, serial port card, and a SCSI card. Of course
    > the AGP slot is full, nVidia in my case. In the drive bays I
    > have a CD burner, tape drive, DVD burner, floppy drive, and 3
    > hard drives. I also added two big fans to the system. Mypowersupplyis a Q Technology 460W unit. Did I over do it on the

  18. SOLUTION??? - System Won't Power Up Anymore

    My computer boots fine again. The problems that are gone are:

    - The CMOS settings now seem to persist from one reboot to the
    next, where at least the minimum fan speed setting would change
    on me and cause an alarm to sound.

    - The system makes it all the way through the BIOS power up tests
    and all the way to a login prompt, whereas before it would stop
    at POST code 37, a DMA test.

    The things I did, which might have had some affect are

    - Replace CMOS battery, cleared, and reprogrammed the CMOS.

    - Removed a 9GB SCSI hard drive. It wasn't being used anymore,
    and I'd intended to remove it anyway.

    The first thing that got my system to boot was to take a SCSI
    tape drive and CD drive off of the power supply. I wanted to
    keep those in the system, so I removed a hard drive from the
    supply's load and reattached the drives I wanted to keep. The
    system still boots fine.

    I used my BIOS system monitor to examine all temperatures,
    voltages and fan speeds in the system. All look OK.

    Thanks all.....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.