how to connect a USB midi keyboard to linux? - Hardware

This is a discussion on how to connect a USB midi keyboard to linux? - Hardware ; Hello, I've nevr done it before I wonder what programe do I need to get it work? Thank you...

  1. how to connect a USB midi keyboard to linux?

    Hello,

    I've nevr done it before
    I wonder what programe do I need to get it work?

    Thank you

  2. Re: how to connect a USB midi keyboard to linux?

    =SERGE= wrote:
    > I've nevr done it before

    Just plug it in.

    > I wonder what programe do I need to get it work?

    The snd-usb-audio driver, like all USB drivers, should be loaded
    automatically.

    HTH
    Clemens

  3. Re: how to connect a USB midi keyboard to linux?

    =SERGE= wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've nevr done it before
    > I wonder what programe do I need to get it work?
    >
    > Thank you

    Hi,

    I recently hooked up my Roland G70 via USB on my Ubuntu system.

    To see the internal memory and transfer files between the keyboard and the
    PC, I just plugged in the keyboard and enabled USB memory access on the
    keyboard.

    To use midi, I had to install the jackd application via the repositories.
    In the jack application I routed midi-in and mide-out.

    Then I installed Rosegarden, a midi sequencer.
    Via Rosegarden, I can have my keyboard play midi files via the PC,
    and record songs I play on my keyboard and save them as a midi file.

    At first I asked Roland about Linux support/drivers, and they said they
    did not provide drivers or support for linux.
    Via the Roland user club forum, I found someone who explained me to use
    jackd and Rosegarden, and it worked.

    I then forwarded this info to the Roland.be helpdesk, and they told me they
    were going to use it in the future when people asked about linux
    compatibility.

    Hope it works for you too.

    --
    MarcB