laptop + fingerprint reader - Hardware

This is a discussion on laptop + fingerprint reader - Hardware ; Hi, I've got HP Pavilion dv6625ew with a built-in fingerprint reader. I wonder how to make it works under linux (I use Fedora) I've searched google for this but the only thing I've found are some 'hacks' for Suse (don't ...

  1. laptop + fingerprint reader

    Hi,
    I've got HP Pavilion dv6625ew with a built-in fingerprint reader. I
    wonder how to make it works under linux (I use Fedora)
    I've searched google for this but the only thing I've found are some
    'hacks' for Suse (don't work for me).
    It was also noticed that this solution is only for make it work
    'somehow', but it isn't very useful yet, because it isn't integrated
    with linux' login mechanisms.
    Anybody has some experience with this stuff, or know if the above info
    is still actual?

    Under Vista everything works fine ;]

    Marcin

  2. Re: laptop + fingerprint reader

    MarcinR staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I've got [an] HP Pavilion dv6625ew with a built-in fingerprint reader.
    > I wonder how to make it [work] under linux. I've searched google for
    > this but the only thing I've found are some hacks for Suse ([which]
    > don't work for me).

    So how do they fail, then? Fedora != SuSE in many ways, but Linux
    distros are all similar to one another. Explain what these hacks
    entail--are they kernel modules? Most distros apply a metric assload of
    patches to the kernels they provide. These patches do not always
    increase functionality, and typically screw up some 3rd-party modules.
    People who are building/testing 3rd-party modules tend to build and test
    them against the vanilla tree, for reasons which should be immediately
    obvious to the casual observer.

    > [I also noticed] that this solution is only [to] make it work
    > 'somehow', but it isn't very useful yet, because it isn't integrated
    > with [linux's] login mechanisms.

    O RLY? Discussions on the IBM-Thinkpad list (
    http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/ma...linux-thinkpad ) say
    that there's a PAM for this, at least a PAM that works with the
    fingerprint readers on Thinkpads. I am short on details here, mostly
    because my Thinkpad T42p lacks a fingerprint reader. That and the fact
    that most fingerprint readers are easy enough to defeat with Jello
    and/or a hacksaw applied to the fingerprint owner's fingers. HTH
    anyway,

    --
    Hope is gone and she confessed / When you lay your dreams to rest
    You can get what's second best / But it's hard to get enough...

  3. Re: laptop + fingerprint reader

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 23:54:22 +0200, MarcinR wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I've got HP Pavilion dv6625ew with a built-in fingerprint reader. I
    > wonder how to make it works under linux (I use Fedora) I've searched
    > google for this but the only thing I've found are some 'hacks' for Suse
    > (don't work for me). It was also noticed that this solution is only for
    > make it work 'somehow', but it isn't very useful yet, because it isn't
    > integrated with linux' login mechanisms.

    You need to install bioapi. This has PAM modules, so it is integrated
    with login through, e.g., gdm. It works very well indeed.

    --
    Vladimir

+ Reply to Thread