Is it possible to hotswap a IDE hdd under linux? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Is it possible to hotswap a IDE hdd under linux? - Hardware ; "=SERGE=" writes: > I mean to unmount then to turn down then up and mount again w/o rebooting. > > I think not.... I have seen it successfully done. I have also seen disks being fried by the procedure. -- ...

  1. Re: Is it possible to hotswap a IDE hdd under linux?

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  2. Is it possible to hotswap a IDE hdd under linux?

    I mean to unmount then to turn down then up and mount again w/o rebooting.

    I think not....

    Thank you

  3. Re: Is it possible to hotswap a IDE hdd under linux?

    =SERGE= wrote:

    > I mean to unmount then to turn down then up and mount again w/o
    > rebooting.

    Linux per se has no problem with Hotplugging. IDE however is not
    meant to be hotplugged. If your hardware doesn't get fried
    there's still the problem, that an ordinary IDE controller will
    probably recognize the changed situation.

    However SATA2 hardware must explicitly support hot plugging. I
    never tried it out yet, but theoretically it should work. The
    SATA1 standard does not require this feature, but supports it.
    The idea with SATA2 is, to use it as physical connection to
    external HDDs.

    Wolfgang Draxinger
    --
    E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith@jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867