1GB of RAM memory is missing - Hardware

This is a discussion on 1GB of RAM memory is missing - Hardware ; Hi all, I just builded mo own x86 machine , and I am quite surprised ,because 1GB of RAM is missing (1GB of 4GB) and my Debian's boot time is 10 minutes. Moreover when I take off one RAM stick ...

  1. 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    Hi all,

    I just builded mo own x86 machine , and I am quite surprised ,because
    1GB of RAM is missing (1GB of 4GB) and my Debian's boot time is 10
    minutes.

    Moreover when I take off one RAM stick (which will give me 3GB RAM) my
    system boots in 40 seconds - I am amazed.

    All of RAM sticks are fine, I tested all of them together and
    separately. I just cannot use them together.

    My problem is I want to use 4GB RAM at full power, and have no idea
    what might be the problem.
    I must use 3GB to make my system booting quickly.(not only booting,
    system works faster with 3GB)

    Please save my poor life.

    And the machine is

    AMD Athlon x2 4000+ (I use 32bit Debian now)
    MSI K9A Platinum motherboard
    2 sets of Geil 2gb dual channel 800mhz (2x 1GB)
    Seagate SATA 500GB HDD

  2. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 08:59:55 -0700, pgega wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >

    > I just builded mo own x86 machine , and I am quite surprised ,because
    > 1GB of RAM is missing (1GB of 4GB) and my Debian's boot time is 10
    > minutes.
    >
    > Moreover when I take off one RAM stick (which will give me 3GB RAM) my
    > system boots in 40 seconds - I am amazed.
    >
    > All of RAM sticks are fine, I tested all of them together and
    > separately. I just cannot use them together.
    >

    > My problem is I want to use 4GB RAM at full power, and have no idea what
    > might be the problem.
    > I must use 3GB to make my system booting quickly.(not only booting,
    > system works faster with 3GB)
    >

    > Please save my poor life.
    >

    > And the machine is
    >
    > AMD Athlon x2 4000+ (I use 32bit Debian now) MSI K9A Platinum
    > motherboard
    > 2 sets of Geil 2gb dual channel 800mhz (2x 1GB) Seagate SATA 500GB HDD

    You need a PAE kernel. The vanilla 32 bit kernel reserves part of the 32
    bit address space for IO, the PAE kernels can access up to 64G of memory.
    The other thing you might have to do is set the Memory Hole Remapping on
    in the BIOS. My AMD motherboards all have a choice in the BIOS for
    Software Memory Hole remapping, Hardware Memory Hole remapping and no
    remapping, I use Hardware Remapping but Software Remapping works also.

  3. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    I meet the opinion that I should use amd64 architecture instead of
    x86.
    Because x66 can handle up to 4GiB of RAM, but some of it will be
    allocated to hardware, is it right ?

  4. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:18:11 -0700, pgega wrote:

    > I meet the opinion that I should use amd64 architecture instead of x86.
    > Because x66 can handle up to 4GiB of RAM, but some of it will be
    > allocated to hardware, is it right ?

    I'm using 64 bit Fedora on all of my systems, it seems a little quicker
    then 32 bit. 64 bit Linux runs 32 bit code without any problems so for
    those few things that aren't 64 bit yet, Java for example, you can always
    run the 32 bit version. However if you would rather stick to your current
    setup there isn't a lot of downside. If you install a PAE kernel you will
    be able to use all of your RAM. With PAE each thread will be limited to
    3G but that's not really a problem on a 4G system because the OS needs
    some space and you are undoubted running several programs at once which
    will also eat some memory. If you had 8G then switching to 64 bit Linux
    would be compelling. The bottom line is if you are planning on doing a
    distro upgrade you should install a a 64 bit distro, but if you want to
    keep your current setup then all you have to do is install a PAE kernel.

  5. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    On 2007-10-22, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:18:11 -0700, pgega wrote:
    >
    >> I meet the opinion that I should use amd64 architecture instead of x86.
    >> Because x66 can handle up to 4GiB of RAM, but some of it will be
    >> allocated to hardware, is it right ?

    I have a AMD64x2 system, using a none-SMP kernel, 1 Gig of memory
    shows up, using a SMP kernal, 2.5gigs show up. (2.5 gigs installed)

    --
    greymaus
    Just Another Grumpy Old Man

  6. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:58:01 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > I'm using 64 bit Fedora on all of my systems, it seems a little quicker
    > then 32 bit. 64 bit Linux runs 32 bit code without any problems so for
    > those few things that aren't 64 bit yet, Java for example,

    Sun gives 64 bit java for linux from at least a year.

    There's no logical reason to use an (obsolete) 32 bit distribution.

  7. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:16:48 +0000, greymaus wrote:

    > On 2007-10-22, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:18:11 -0700, pgega wrote:
    >>
    >>> I meet the opinion that I should use amd64 architecture instead of
    >>> x86. Because x66 can handle up to 4GiB of RAM, but some of it will be
    >>> allocated to hardware, is it right ?

    > I have a AMD64x2 system, using a none-SMP kernel, 1 Gig of memory shows
    > up, using a SMP kernal, 2.5gigs show up. (2.5 gigs installed)

    The x86 has a lot of memory management modes many of which are obsolete
    but are maintained for compatibility reasons. In addition to the 4G 32
    bit mode, the 64G PAE 32 bit mode and the modern 64 bit mode there is a
    1G mode. Linux supports all of them. The non-SMP kernel that you have
    installed must have been compiled with the 1G mode. There is absolutely
    no reason to use that kernel especially on an X2 system.

  8. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    on Tuesday 23 October 2007 10:06
    in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware
    General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:16:48 +0000, greymaus wrote:

    >> I have a AMD64x2 system, using a none-SMP kernel, 1 Gig of memory shows
    >> up, using a SMP kernal, 2.5gigs show up. (2.5 gigs installed)

    > The x86 has a lot of memory management modes many of which are obsolete
    > but are maintained for compatibility reasons. In addition to the 4G 32
    > bit mode, the 64G PAE 32 bit mode and the modern 64 bit mode there is a
    > 1G mode. Linux supports all of them. The non-SMP kernel that you have
    > installed must have been compiled with the 1G mode. There is absolutely
    > no reason to use that kernel especially on an X2 system.

    I thought that the 1G only mode was slightly more efficient - assuming
    that you only have 1G of memory. Then again, I could be completely
    wrong. ;-)

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  9. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    > I thought that the 1G only mode was slightly more efficient - assuming
    > that you only have 1G of memory. Then again, I could be completely
    > wrong. ;-)

    The page tables are probably smaller but that hardly matters. If you had
    a PII with 256M then the 1G kernel might want have some benefits but you
    would never use it on anything that's remotely modern.

  10. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    General Schvantzkopf writes:

    >> I thought that the 1G only mode was slightly more efficient - assuming
    >> that you only have 1G of memory. Then again, I could be completely
    >> wrong. ;-)

    >The page tables are probably smaller but that hardly matters.

    IIRC the main difference is that the 1G kernel can map the physical
    memory and the current process's virtual memory (up to 3GB) into its
    address space at the same time, and therefore requires fewer page
    table operations, TLB flushes and such.

    Of course, if you run a 64-bit kernel, you get the same advantage for
    any amount of RAM that you can currently put into a machine.

    - anton

  11. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    On 2007-10-23, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:16:48 +0000, greymaus wrote:

    >> I have a AMD64x2 system, using a none-SMP kernel, 1 Gig of memory shows
    >> up, using a SMP kernal, 2.5gigs show up. (2.5 gigs installed)

    > The x86 has a lot of memory management modes many of which are obsolete
    > but are maintained for compatibility reasons. In addition to the 4G 32
    > bit mode, the 64G PAE 32 bit mode and the modern 64 bit mode there is a
    > 1G mode. Linux supports all of them. The non-SMP kernel that you have
    > installed must have been compiled with the 1G mode. There is absolutely
    > no reason to use that kernel especially on an X2 system.

    I just used it for installing the system.

    --
    greymaus
    Just Another Grumpy Old Man

  12. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    greymaus schrieb:

    > I have a AMD64x2 system, using a none-SMP kernel,

    I wonder how that is supposed to work: Dual core without SMP (symmetric
    multi-processing)?

    So long,
    Thomas

  13. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    * schrieb:
    > On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:58:01 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >

    >> I'm using 64 bit Fedora on all of my systems, it seems a little quicker
    >> then 32 bit. 64 bit Linux runs 32 bit code without any problems so for
    >> those few things that aren't 64 bit yet, Java for example,

    > Sun gives 64 bit java for linux from at least a year.

    No, they don't provide a 64 bit java plugin for the firefox. It's beyond
    me why they don't. And at least on Debian, it is nontrivial to install
    one. I haven't had luck yet.

    So long,
    Thomas

  14. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:36:03 +0100, Thomas Richter wrote:

    > * schrieb:
    >> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:58:01 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm using 64 bit Fedora on all of my systems, it seems a little quicker
    >>> then 32 bit. 64 bit Linux runs 32 bit code without any problems so for
    >>> those few things that aren't 64 bit yet, Java for example,

    >> Sun gives 64 bit java for linux from at least a year.

    > No, they don't provide a 64 bit java plugin for the firefox.

    We were talking about java, not firefox plugin. If you absolutely need the
    java plugin use opera.

  15. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:17:17 +0100, * wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:36:03 +0100, Thomas Richter wrote:
    >
    >> * schrieb:

    >>> Sun gives 64 bit java for linux from at least a year.

    >> No, they don't provide a 64 bit java plugin for the firefox.

    > We were talking about java, not firefox plugin. If you absolutely need
    > the java plugin use opera.

    I was talking about the java plugin when I said that there was no 64 bit
    java, aside for web browsing why do you would you need java anyway?
    However my main point was that it wasn't much of a problem because the 32
    bit Firefox works just fine on 64 bit Linux and the 32 bit plugin works
    in 32 version of Firefox even if you are running it on 64 bit Linux. I've
    been using 64 bit Fedora for quite a while, it's been doing everything
    that I need to do.

  16. Re: 1GB of RAM memory is missing

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:25:40 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    >>> No, they don't provide a 64 bit java plugin for the firefox.

    >> We were talking about java, not firefox plugin. If you absolutely need
    >> the java plugin use opera.

    > I was talking about the java plugin when I said that there was no 64 bit
    > java, aside for web browsing why do you would you need java anyway?

    Me? I don't. Using happily 64 bit only (on x86_64) since 2004.

    > However my main point was that it wasn't much of a problem because the 32
    > bit Firefox works just fine on 64 bit Linux and the 32 bit plugin works in
    > 32 version of Firefox even if you are running it on 64 bit Linux. I've
    > been using 64 bit Fedora for quite a while, it's been doing everything
    > that I need to do.

    Exactly. Still you could use open flash plugin 64 bit: gnash.

+ Reply to Thread