Could a 300w power supply run 6 hdd on a PII mb? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Could a 300w power supply run 6 hdd on a PII mb? - Hardware ; Hello that's the question I'm goig to setup a file server on an old PII mb with a PII 233 cpu on it and with 6 HD. To power them I'd like to use a 300W fanless Power suply. Do ...

  1. Could a 300w power supply run 6 hdd on a PII mb?

    Hello that's the question

    I'm goig to setup a file server on an old PII mb with a PII 233 cpu on it
    and with 6 HD.
    To power them I'd like to use a 300W fanless Power suply.

    Do you think it's possible?
    How much watt does a HD 3:5 take?

    Thank you

    serge

  2. Re: Could a 300w power supply run 6 hdd on a PII mb?

    on Friday 19 October 2007 20:07
    in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware
    =SERGE= wrote:

    > Hello that's the question
    >
    > I'm goig to setup a file server on an old PII mb with a PII 233 cpu on it
    > and with 6 HD.
    > To power them I'd like to use a 300W fanless Power suply.
    >
    > Do you think it's possible?
    > How much watt does a HD 3:5 take?

    It should be written on the HD itself. Different models have different
    needs. If the label quotes Amps, them remember that W=VxA.
    Also most drives need power supplied at 12V *and* 5V.

    What else is in the box?

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: Could a 300w power supply run 6 hdd on a PII mb?

    Nothing very much ....a dvd rom ... a net card

    "Peter D." wrote in message
    > on Friday 19 October 2007 20:07
    > in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware
    > =SERGE= wrote:
    >
    >> Hello that's the question
    >>
    >> I'm goig to setup a file server on an old PII mb with a PII 233 cpu on it
    >> and with 6 HD.
    >> To power them I'd like to use a 300W fanless Power suply.
    >>
    >> Do you think it's possible?
    >> How much watt does a HD 3:5 take?

    > It should be written on the HD itself. Different models have different
    > needs. If the label quotes Amps, them remember that W=VxA.
    > Also most drives need power supplied at 12V *and* 5V.
    >
    > What else is in the box?
    >
    > --
    > sig goes here...
    > Peter D.

  4. Re: Could a 300w power supply run 6 hdd on a PII mb?

    =SERGE= wrote:
    > Hello that's the question
    >
    > I'm goig to setup a file server on an old PII mb with a PII 233 cpu on it
    > and with 6 HD.
    > To power them I'd like to use a 300W fanless Power suply.
    >
    > Do you think it's possible?
    > How much watt does a HD 3:5 take?

    Don't know the exact answer, but I ran dual Athlons with
    8 drives on a 350W... you should be just fine as long
    as it's a decent 300W PSU.

  5. Re: Could a 300w power supply run 6 hdd on a PII mb?

    =SERGE= schrieb:
    > Hello that's the question
    >
    > I'm goig to setup a file server on an old PII mb with a PII 233 cpu on it
    > and with 6 HD.
    > To power them I'd like to use a 300W fanless Power suply.
    >
    > Do you think it's possible?
    > How much watt does a HD 3:5 take?
    >

    > Thank you
    >
    > serge

    5V with .72A
    12V with .52A

    so in total approx. 10W. Thats what the Seagate Barracuda IDE 3.5 250GB
    laying on my desk reads...

    Fanless? 6 disks generate quite some heat, when really in use....

    Helmut

  6. Re: Could a 300w power supply run 6 hdd on a PII mb?

    On 19 Oct, 11:07, "=SERGE=" wrote:
    > Hello that's the question
    >
    > I'm goig to setup a file server on an old PII mb with a PII 233 cpu on it
    > and with 6 HD.
    > To power them I'd like to use a 300W fanless Power suply.
    >
    > Do you think it's possible?
    > How much watt does a HD 3:5 take?

    Between 10 and 15W.
    You need to think not just of watts, but of the individual capacity of
    the 12V and 5V rails. Not all power supplies allocate capacity to the
    various rails the same way.

    Get the spec for the drives, and for the psu, and do the maths in
    terms of current.

    Fanless PSUs are one thing, but fanless servers another. Every 10
    degrees C temperature reduction will double the life of the disks, to
    a first approximation

  7. Re: Could a 300w power supply run 6 hdd on a PII mb?

    robertharvey@my-deja.com writes:
    >On 19 Oct, 11:07, "=SERGE=" wrote:
    >> Hello that's the question
    >>
    >> I'm goig to setup a file server on an old PII mb with a PII 233 cpu on it
    >> and with 6 HD.
    >> To power them I'd like to use a 300W fanless Power suply.
    >>
    >> Do you think it's possible?

    The PSU should be good enough for running them, but the spinup current
    of the disks might be a problem. If so, you might try to get the
    motherboard to start them in a staggered way (this is a BIOS option on
    some boards, typically server boards). You can also try to set the
    disks (except the boot disk) not to spin up on powerup; you can do
    this on some drive with some hdparm option, but I have read about one
    case where the drive did not talk to the PC at all afterwards
    <1180673096.417534.194740@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om> (IIRC this was
    a laptop drive, though).

    >Every 10
    >degrees C temperature reduction will double the life of the disks, to
    >a first approximation

    That's true for semiconductors AFAIK, but for disk drives the data
    Google have accumulated contradict such a claim for disk drives. But
    Google don't have statistics for high temperatures (beyond about 45
    degrees C).

    So if the disks become hotter than about 50 degrees C, I would
    consider adding more fans.

    - anton

  8. Re: Could a 300w power supply run 6 hdd on a PII mb?

    Previously =SERGE= wrote:
    > Hello that's the question

    > I'm goig to setup a file server on an old PII mb with a PII 233 cpu on it
    > and with 6 HD.
    > To power them I'd like to use a 300W fanless Power suply.

    > Do you think it's possible?
    > How much watt does a HD 3:5 take?

    I found that you need about 25W per HDD for reliable startup.
    They consume significantly less when running.

    Deduce 100W for the mainboard and you should be able to run
    8 HDDs with this PSU.

    Arno

  9. Re: Could a 300w power supply run 6 hdd on a PII mb?

    Previously Anton Ertl wrote:
    > robertharvey@my-deja.com writes:
    >>On 19 Oct, 11:07, "=SERGE=" wrote:
    >>> Hello that's the question
    >>>
    >>> I'm goig to setup a file server on an old PII mb with a PII 233 cpu on it
    >>> and with 6 HD.
    >>> To power them I'd like to use a 300W fanless Power suply.
    >>>
    >>> Do you think it's possible?

    > The PSU should be good enough for running them, but the spinup current
    > of the disks might be a problem. If so, you might try to get the
    > motherboard to start them in a staggered way (this is a BIOS option on
    > some boards, typically server boards). You can also try to set the
    > disks (except the boot disk) not to spin up on powerup; you can do
    > this on some drive with some hdparm option, but I have read about one
    > case where the drive did not talk to the PC at all afterwards
    > <1180673096.417534.194740@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om> (IIRC this was
    > a laptop drive, though).

    >>Every 10
    >>degrees C temperature reduction will double the life of the disks, to
    >>a first approximation

    > That's true for semiconductors AFAIK, but for disk drives the data
    > Google have accumulated contradict such a claim for disk drives. But
    > Google don't have statistics for high temperatures (beyond about 45
    > degrees C).

    And that was nothing new. For example, Seagate stated in their
    datasheets that no lifetime degradation does occure below 50C,
    if I remember correctlly. But disks may occasionally run hotter
    and can get as hot as 70C-75C before (temporary) failure.

    > So if the disks become hotter than about 50 degrees C, I would
    > consider adding more fans.

    As for the study by Google, I think the study is methodically
    flawed. For example it does lump all disks together. Some disks are
    known to be more suceptible to heat (e.g. Maxtor), while other produce
    less heat in the first place (e.g. Samsung). Other environmental
    conditions were also missing or not well documented. I think their
    paper was maainly accepted because other research is even more
    deficient and so their work was indeed a significant improvement over
    what was known before.

    Arno

  10. Re: Could a 300w power supply run 6 hdd on a PII mb?

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 19:01:28 -0500, Chris Cox
    wrote:

    >=SERGE= wrote:
    >> Hello that's the question
    >>
    >> I'm goig to setup a file server on an old PII mb with a PII 233 cpu on it
    >> and with 6 HD.
    >> To power them I'd like to use a 300W fanless Power suply.
    >>
    >> Do you think it's possible?
    >> How much watt does a HD 3:5 take?

    >Don't know the exact answer, but I ran dual Athlons with
    >8 drives on a 350W... you should be just fine as long
    >as it's a decent 300W PSU.

    I'm running dual Celeron 300s at 450Mhz with 4 HDs (5 if you count the
    installed SCSI HD that I don't use any more), DVD burner, SCSI CD
    burner, 768M of registered ECC RAM (only 640M is actualy recognized),
    every slot is filled. I have 4 open drive bays and two of those will
    be filled when I get around to it. It runs fine on the original 300W
    Antec PS. However, the PS fan siezed up a few months ago and I had to
    replace the PS fan.

    I suspect the P11 233 system will work fine with 6 HS's and a good
    300W PS. I'd be concerned about a fanless PS.

+ Reply to Thread