sound problem after upgrade - Hardware

This is a discussion on sound problem after upgrade - Hardware ; Hi ng, i have upgrade my ubuntu from 7.04 to 7.10 Everything works fine, but audio. if i call alsamixer, i get alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device if i call lsmod|grep snd i get NO result. ...

  1. sound problem after upgrade

    Hi ng,

    i have upgrade my ubuntu from 7.04 to 7.10
    Everything works fine, but audio.

    if i call alsamixer, i get

    alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

    if i call lsmod|grep snd i get NO result.
    Then i try to load

    modprobe snd-intel8x0
    modprobe snd_pcm_oss
    modprobe snd_mixer_oss
    modprobe snd_pcm
    modprobe snd_seq_dummy
    modprobe snd_seq_oss
    modprobe snd_seq_midi
    modprobe snd_rawmidi
    modprobe snd_seq_midi_event
    modprobe snd_seq
    modprobe snd_timer
    modprobe snd_seq_device
    modprobe snd_page_alloc

    Then i have the driver loaded (lsmod) but no audio and no alsamixer device.
    lspci -v (as user) give this:
    0:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Unknown device 0888
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    Memory at dddf8000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities:

    Hans

  2. Re: sound problem after upgrade

    > alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

    Most times this happens when the /dev/ devices are not present. In the
    pre-udev days you could run ./snddevices and it fixes that issue. You
    still can run that, but udev takes issue with non-udev created devices.

    > Then i have the driver loaded (lsmod) but no audio and no alsamixer

    Once you modprobe all of those modules try restarting udev.

    /etc/init.d/udev restart
    (or stop && start)

    Also note that if you setup the /etc/modules.conf or /etc/modutils/ or /
    etc/modprobe.d/ with the alsa entries specific for your card, they should
    autoload the modules when you access the device. Like when your distro
    restores the mixer settings at boot.

    It should look something like this:

    #--- start ---

    # ALSA
    alias char-major-116 snd

    # OSS
    alias char-major-14 soundcore

    # CARD - Intel 8x0
    alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
    alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

    options snd major=116 cards_limit=1
    options snd-intel8x0 index=0

    #--- end ---

    HTH

  3. Re: sound problem after upgrade

    Hans Novak wrote:
    > lspci -v (as user) give this:
    > 0:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

    This is an HDA controller.

    > Then i try to load
    >
    > modprobe snd-intel8x0

    This is for AC'97 controllers.