Avaya wireless drivers broke w/ 2.6? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Avaya wireless drivers broke w/ 2.6? - Hardware ; One of the things I most dislike about Linux is the frequency with which things that once worked perfectly well are "deprecated" or, in this case, simply broken. The lack of 2.6 kernel support for D-Link and Avaya (Gold) PCMCIA ...

  1. Avaya wireless drivers broke w/ 2.6?

    One of the things I most dislike about Linux is the frequency with
    which things that once worked perfectly well are "deprecated" or,
    in this case, simply broken.

    The lack of 2.6 kernel support for D-Link and Avaya (Gold) PCMCIA 802.11
    cards has got to be the most frustrating. I've spent way too much
    time reading worthless documentation and applying worthless patches to
    ever trust Linux wireless drivers again.

    PS

  2. Re: Avaya wireless drivers broke w/ 2.6?

    On Oct 19, 11:28 am, Pacosan wrote:
    > One of the things I most dislike about Linux is the frequency with
    > which things that once worked perfectly well are "deprecated" or,
    > in this case, simply broken.
    >
    > The lack of 2.6 kernel support for D-Link and Avaya (Gold) PCMCIA 802.11
    > cards has got to be the most frustrating. I've spent way too much
    > time reading worthless documentation and applying worthless patches to
    > ever trust Linux wireless drivers again.
    >
    > PS

    At the end of the day its the fault of the Card manufacturer (D-link
    in this case). They will bend over backwards in producing drivers for
    Windows and suck up to Bill to get the the windows logo testing done.
    But gives barely any attention to the Linux drivers. Kernel
    maintainers have to reverse engineer their drivers most of the time.
    So drop in an email to DLink letting know of your frustrations.

    P.S. There is another issue with using proprietary drivers in the
    Linux kernel, which is a discussion by itself!

  3. Re: Avaya wireless drivers broke w/ 2.6?

    Pacosan wrote:

    > One of the things I most dislike about Linux is the frequency with
    > which things that once worked perfectly well are "deprecated" or,
    > in this case, simply broken.
    >
    > The lack of 2.6 kernel support for D-Link and Avaya (Gold) PCMCIA 802.11
    > cards has got to be the most frustrating. I've spent way too much
    > time reading worthless documentation and applying worthless patches to
    > ever trust Linux wireless drivers again.

    What driver are you using with your Avaya card?
    Is this card the same as Orinoco Gold?
    If so, the orinoco_cs driver works perfectly for me.
    NetworkManager does not work with my card -
    maybe that is the problem in your case?

+ Reply to Thread