Debian etch 4.0r1 i386 on an ASUS P4C800E - IDE errors??? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Debian etch 4.0r1 i386 on an ASUS P4C800E - IDE errors??? - Hardware ; This has NOT been a good week for me... *sigh* I've just spent the last three hours fighting with my PC, trying to do a Debian etch 4.0r1 install. It gets to the point of detecting hardware and sits there ...

  1. Debian etch 4.0r1 i386 on an ASUS P4C800E - IDE errors???

    This has NOT been a good week for me... *sigh*

    I've just spent the last three hours fighting with my PC, trying to do a
    Debian etch 4.0r1 install. It gets to the point of detecting hardware and
    sits there for a LONG time. If I move to terminal 4 I can see plenty of lost
    IRQ errors, abnormal status errors (i.e. abnormal status 0x7f on port
    0xEF8F)

    PC Specs:
    - Asus P4C800E-Dlx mainboard (Intel 875P chipset)
    - Onboard 6 channel audio
    - Onboard Intel gig LAN
    - Onboard VIA firewire x2
    - Onboard USB 2 x8
    - Onboard ICH5 and Promise PATA and SATA ports
    - 2.6Ghz P4 Northwood CPU
    - 1gig (4x256) of DDR533 memory.
    - 60gig PATA drive on IDE1 primary
    - 120gig PATA drive on IDE2 primary
    - BenQ DVDRW on IDE2 secondary
    - 500gig SATA on ICH5 SATA1
    - 500gig SATA on ICH5 SATA2
    - 400gig SATA on Promise SATA3
    - Intel Pro 100 PCI network card
    - PCI Windmodem (Linux supported)
    - MSI TV @nywhere Master PCI TV tuner card

    I've gone as far as rearranged drive connections, getting downs as far as
    just the DVDRW and 60gig PATA and I see the same issues. Enabling/Disabling
    the Promise controller makes no difference. Moving the PCI cards around did
    not help. Swapped out the IDE cables. Downloaded and burned another i386 Net
    install CD (both end up with the correct md5 checksum).

    I just realized that I should stick a USB drive into the machine and grab a
    copy of the system log (dmesg log) and see just where it really starts to go
    awry. (That's for tomorrow night - I'll update here).

    Are these mainboads an issue for Debian? Is there anything specific I should
    be looking for here? I'm going to dig out some of my other distro disks and
    see if they have issues.

    ....but right now this guy is off to sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

    ANY help is REALLY appreciated!!!

  2. Re: Debian etch 4.0r1 i386 on an ASUS P4C800E - IDE errors???

    "Noozer" wrote in message
    > This has NOT been a good week for me... *sigh*
    >
    > I've just spent the last three hours fighting with my PC, trying to do a
    > Debian etch 4.0r1 install. It gets to the point of detecting hardware and
    > sits there for a LONG time. If I move to terminal 4 I can see plenty of
    > lost IRQ errors, abnormal status errors (i.e. abnormal status 0x7f on port
    > 0xEF8F)

    Currently installed hardware:

    PC Specs:
    - Asus P4C800E-Dlx mainboard (Intel 875P chipset)
    - Onboard 6 channel audio
    - Onboard Intel gig LAN
    - Onboard VIA firewire x2
    - Onboard USB 2 x8
    - Onboard ICH5 and Promise PATA and SATA ports
    - 2.6Ghz P4 Northwood CPU
    - 1gig (4x256) of DDR533 memory.
    - 60gig PATA drive on IDE1 primary
    - BenQ DVDRW on IDE2 secondary
    - nVidia 6800GS 256meg AGP video card

    I tried to dump dmesg to my USB drive... I didn't get a lot of info. The
    complete dump is below. It LOOKS like a bad CD, IDE cable or DVDRW drive but
    I've swapped them all out with no change.

    Does this indicate anything in particular?

    mplete DataRequest }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    hdd: drive not ready for command
    hdd: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    hdd: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    hdd: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    input: Logitech USB Receiver as /class/input/input0
    input: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2
    SCSI subsystem initialized
    Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    input: Logitech USB Receiver as /class/input/input1
    input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2
    usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
    drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver
    hdd: ATAPI reset complete
    hdd: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason = 0x01). Trying to
    recover by ending request.
    hdd: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason = 0x01). Trying to
    recover by ending request.
    hdd: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason = 0x01). Trying to
    recover by ending request.
    hdd: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason = 0x01). Trying to
    recover by ending request.
    hdd: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    hdd: drive not ready for command
    hdd: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    hdd: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    hdd: status error: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
    USB Mass Storage support registered.
    usb-storage: device found at 2
    usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[...]
    irq 185: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
    [] __report_bad_irq+0x2b/0x69
    [] note_interrupt+0x188/0x1bf
    [] handle_IRQ_event+0x23/0x49
    [] __do_IRQ+0x72/0xa1
    [] do_IRQ+0x43/0x50
    [] common_interrupt+0x1a/0x20
    [] do_page_fault+0xa6/0x498
    [] do_page_fault+0x0/0x498
    [] error_code+0x39/0x40
    handlers:
    [] (usb_hcd_irq+0x0/0x4a [usbcore])
    [] (ide_intr+0x0/0x171 [ide_core])
    [] (ide_intr+0x0/0x171 [ide_core])
    Disabling IRQ #185
    ACPI: Getting cpuindex for acpiid 0x2
    usbcore: registered new driver usbkbd
    drivers/usb/input/usbkbd.c: :USB HID Boot Protocol keyboard driver
    usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
    usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
    vga16fb: initializing
    vga16fb: mapped to 0xc00a0000
    Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
    fb0: VGA16 VGA frame buffer device
    ieee1394: Host added: ID:BUS[0-00:1023] GUID[00e018000047492f]
    Vendor: SigmaTel Model: MSCN Rev: 0001
    usb-storage: device scan complete
    sda: Write Protect is off
    sda: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 04
    sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    sda: Write Protect is off
    sda: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 04
    sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    sda: sda1
    sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
    hda: lost interrupt
    hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
    hdd: lost interrupt
    hda: DMA interrupt recovery
    hda: lost interrupt
    hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
    hda: DMA interrupt recovery
    hda: lost interrupt
    hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
    ide-cd: cmd 0x1e timed out
    hdd: lost interrupt
    hda: DMA interrupt recovery
    hda: lost interrupt
    hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
    hda: DMA interrupt recovery
    hda: lost interrupt
    hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24
    hdd: lost interrupt
    hda: DMA interrupt recovery
    hda: lost interrupt
    ieee1394: sbp2: Driver forced to serialize I/O (serialize_io=1)
    ieee1394: sbp2: Try serialize_io=0 for better performance
    Intel ISA PCIC probe: not found.
[...]
    EXT2-fs warning (device sda1): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3 filesystem as
    ext2
    hda: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x24

  3. Re: Debian etch 4.0r1 i386 on an ASUS P4C800E - IDE errors???

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 06:15:32 +0000, Noozer wrote:

    > This has NOT been a good week for me... *sigh*
    >
    > I've just spent the last three hours fighting with my PC, trying to do a
    > Debian etch 4.0r1 install. It gets to the point of detecting hardware
    > and sits there for a LONG time. If I move to terminal 4 I can see plenty
    > of lost IRQ errors, abnormal status errors (i.e. abnormal status 0x7f on
    > port 0xEF8F)
    >
    > PC Specs:
    > - Asus P4C800E-Dlx mainboard (Intel 875P chipset)
    > - Onboard 6 channel audio
    > - Onboard Intel gig LAN
    > - Onboard VIA firewire x2
    > - Onboard USB 2 x8
    > - Onboard ICH5 and Promise PATA and SATA ports
    > - 2.6Ghz P4 Northwood CPU
    > - 1gig (4x256) of DDR533 memory.
    > - 60gig PATA drive on IDE1 primary
    > - 120gig PATA drive on IDE2 primary
    > - BenQ DVDRW on IDE2 secondary
    > - 500gig SATA on ICH5 SATA1
    > - 500gig SATA on ICH5 SATA2
    > - 400gig SATA on Promise SATA3
    > - Intel Pro 100 PCI network card
    > - PCI Windmodem (Linux supported)
    > - MSI TV @nywhere Master PCI TV tuner card
    >
    > I've gone as far as rearranged drive connections, getting downs as far
    > as just the DVDRW and 60gig PATA and I see the same issues.
    > Enabling/Disabling the Promise controller makes no difference. Moving
    > the PCI cards around did not help. Swapped out the IDE cables.
    > Downloaded and burned another i386 Net install CD (both end up with the
    > correct md5 checksum).
    >
    > I just realized that I should stick a USB drive into the machine and
    > grab a copy of the system log (dmesg log) and see just where it really
    > starts to go awry. (That's for tomorrow night - I'll update here).
    >
    > Are these mainboads an issue for Debian? Is there anything specific I
    > should be looking for here? I'm going to dig out some of my other distro
    > disks and see if they have issues.
    >
    > ...but right now this guy is off to sleeeeeeeeeeeeeep!
    >
    > ANY help is REALLY appreciated!!!

    I'd suggest that you try a Linux LiveCD or DVD like Knoppix or Fedora 7
    or Mepis. Linux LiveCDs tend to have greater system compatibility or,
    perhaps I should say, tolerability than your typical Linux distro: If
    something non-critical can't be recognized or configured, the boot
    sequence will continue without it. See if the same problems persist.

    My guess is that your IRQ errors are caused by too many hardware
    conflicts or maybe just one piece of hardware. I had similar issues on
    an old system when I installed a USB 2.0 card. It conflicted with the
    ethernet card IRQ-wise. Remove either the ethernet or USB card and the
    system booted fine, but with both in it would hang. I resolved the
    conflict by changing the USB card to a different slot.

    So, start with the simplest system -- no expansion cards; one hard drive;
    one dvd drive -- just the basics. Go into BIOS and turn off all the
    onboard stuff. Then see if Debian will start up. If it does, go back
    and add one thing at a time until it won't. That will be the problem.
    Leave that out and continue to add hardware, one piece at a time. The
    boot log will be of immense help. So, record it after each trial.

    Good Luck, and nighty-night.

    Stef

  4. Re: Debian etch 4.0r1 i386 on an ASUS P4C800E - IDE errors???

    You might want to try having the bios assign all the irq's it can (set it to
    not having a plug & play operating system) or vice versa if that's what it's
    already set to. I have this board in one of my boxes, but it's not the one
    I'm running Debian on.

    -Mike

    "Stefan Patric" wrote in message
    newshXRi.8378$J36.4254@newsfe07.phx...
> [...]

    > My guess is that your IRQ errors are caused by too many hardware
    > conflicts or maybe just one piece of hardware. I had similar issues on
    > an old system when I installed a USB 2.0 card. It conflicted with the
    > ethernet card IRQ-wise. Remove either the ethernet or USB card and the
    > system booted fine, but with both in it would hang. I resolved the
    > conflict by changing the USB card to a different slot.
    >
    > So, start with the simplest system -- no expansion cards; one hard drive;
    > one dvd drive -- just the basics. Go into BIOS and turn off all the
    > onboard stuff. Then see if Debian will start up. If it does, go back
    > and add one thing at a time until it won't. That will be the problem.
    > Leave that out and continue to add hardware, one piece at a time. The
    > boot log will be of immense help. So, record it after each trial.

  5. Re: Debian etch 4.0r1 i386 on an ASUS P4C800E - IDE errors???

    > PC Specs:
    > - Asus P4C800E-Dlx mainboard (Intel 875P chipset)
    > - Onboard 6 channel audio
    > - Onboard Intel gig LAN
    > - Onboard VIA firewire x2
    > - Onboard USB 2 x8
    > - Onboard ICH5 and Promise PATA and SATA ports
    > - 2.6Ghz P4 Northwood CPU
    > - 1gig (4x256) of DDR533 memory.
    > - 60gig PATA drive on IDE1 primary
    > - BenQ DVDRW on IDE2 secondary
    > - nVidia 6800GS 256meg AGP video card

    Thanks for the tips guys...

    This is where I stand right now... Testing done with only the ATA DVDRW and
    one 500g SATA drive on a ICH5 SATA port...

    + I cleared the CMOS settings - no change
    + I pulled the DVDRW drive from my system (Used to create the install media)
    and put into the Linux machine - no change
    + Flashed the BIOS to the latest non-beta verson on the Asus website - no
    change
    + Tried with BIOS set with "Plug 'n Play OS" set to OFF and ON - no change

    Going to try and boot another distro... Downloading Mandriva and Fedora
    disks now.

    Thanks again!

  6. Re: Debian etch 4.0r1 i386 on an ASUS P4C800E - IDE errors???

    "Noozer" wrote in message
    >> PC Specs:
    >> - Asus P4C800E-Dlx mainboard (Intel 875P chipset)
    >> - Onboard 6 channel audio
    >> - Onboard Intel gig LAN
    >> - Onboard VIA firewire x2
    >> - Onboard USB 2 x8
    >> - Onboard ICH5 and Promise PATA and SATA ports
    >> - 2.6Ghz P4 Northwood CPU
    >> - 1gig (4x256) of DDR533 memory.
    >> - 60gig PATA drive on IDE1 primary
    >> - BenQ DVDRW on IDE2 secondary
    >> - nVidia 6800GS 256meg AGP video card

    > Thanks for the tips guys...
    >
    > This is where I stand right now... Testing done with only the ATA DVDRW
    > and one 500g SATA drive on a ICH5 SATA port...
    >
    > + I cleared the CMOS settings - no change
    > + I pulled the DVDRW drive from my system (Used to create the install
    > media) and put into the Linux machine - no change
    > + Flashed the BIOS to the latest non-beta verson on the Asus website - no
    > change
    > + Tried with BIOS set with "Plug 'n Play OS" set to OFF and ON - no change
    >
    > Going to try and boot another distro... Downloading Mandriva and Fedora
    > disks now.

    Tried out a Mepis LIVE disc I had handy while waiting for my downloads. I'm
    still seeing issues.

    As soon at the kernel starts, I get the following error a few times:

    [17179575.136000] hdc: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason =
    0x01)

  7. Re: FOUND! - Debian etch 4.0r1 i386 on an ASUS P4C800E - IDE errors???

    >>> - Asus P4C800E-Dlx mainboard (Intel 875P chipset)

    Fscking piece o' ...

    I found WHAT is causing the error, but now it puts me in a bigger bind.

    In the BIOS settings I can set the IDE controller to "Enhanced Mode" (the
    default), and "Compatibility Mode".

    When I change this setting to "Compatibility Mode" I can boot the Debian
    installer CD and it works GREAT. The problem? When set to compatibility mode
    I lose half my controllers.

    When in compatibilty mode, I can set the controllers to "P-ATA only",
    "Primary P-ATA + S-ATA" or "Secondary P-ATA + S-ATA" This does me no good as
    I have three SATA drives and three PATA drives.

    So, does anyone recognize this issue? I haven't found a "fix" yet...

  8. Re: FOUND! - Debian etch 4.0r1 i386 on an ASUS P4C800E - IDE errors???

    On 10/19/2007 02:34 AM, Noozer wrote:

    > Fscking piece o' ...
    >
    > I found WHAT is causing the error, but now it puts me in a bigger bind.
    >
    > In the BIOS settings I can set the IDE controller to "Enhanced Mode" (the
    > default), and "Compatibility Mode".
    >
    > When I change this setting to "Compatibility Mode" I can boot the Debian
    > installer CD and it works GREAT. The problem? When set to compatibility mode
    > I lose half my controllers.
    >
    > When in compatibilty mode, I can set the controllers to "P-ATA only",
    > "Primary P-ATA + S-ATA" or "Secondary P-ATA + S-ATA" This does me no good as
    > I have three SATA drives and three PATA drives.
    >
    > So, does anyone recognize this issue? I haven't found a "fix" yet...

    Try to keep the controller in "enhanced" mode and use a modified,
    unofficial Debian installer:

    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=debian+installer
    http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/ins...tml#unofficial
    http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

  9. Re: FOUND! - Debian etch 4.0r1 i386 on an ASUS P4C800E - IDE errors???

    "Mumia W." wrote in message

    >> Fscking piece o' ...
    >>
    >> I found WHAT is causing the error, but now it puts me in a bigger bind.
    >>
    >> In the BIOS settings I can set the IDE controller to "Enhanced Mode" (the
    >> default), and "Compatibility Mode".
    >>
    >> When I change this setting to "Compatibility Mode" I can boot the Debian
    >> installer CD and it works GREAT. The problem? When set to compatibility
    >> mode I lose half my controllers.
    >>
    >> When in compatibilty mode, I can set the controllers to "P-ATA only",
    >> "Primary P-ATA + S-ATA" or "Secondary P-ATA + S-ATA" This does me no good
    >> as I have three SATA drives and three PATA drives.
    >>
    >> So, does anyone recognize this issue? I haven't found a "fix" yet...

    > Try to keep the controller in "enhanced" mode and use a modified,
    > unofficial Debian installer:
    >
    > http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=debian+installer
    > http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/ins...tml#unofficial
    > http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

    Thanks! The first link found here...

    http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/ins...tml#unofficial

    .... performs the installation flawlessly.

    Now I need to figure out why my HDDs are detected in one order by the
    installer, and another when I try to boot from the new installation.

    : )

  10. Re: FOUND! - Debian etch 4.0r1 i386 on an ASUS P4C800E - IDE errors???

    On 10/19/2007 06:22 PM, Noozer wrote:
    > "Mumia W." wrote in message
    >
    >> Try to keep the controller in "enhanced" mode and use a modified,
    >> unofficial Debian installer:
    >>
    >> http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=debian+installer
    >> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/ins...tml#unofficial
    >> http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

    > Thanks! The first link found here...
    >
    > http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/ins...tml#unofficial
    >
    > .... performs the installation flawlessly.

    You're quite welcome.

    > Now I need to figure out why my HDDs are detected in one order by the
    > installer, and another when I try to boot from the new installation.
    >
    > : )

    It's probably related to udev or module load order.

+ Reply to Thread