How to enable DMA mode of /dev/hda? - Hardware

This is a discussion on How to enable DMA mode of /dev/hda? - Hardware ; Hello everyone, I'm using one HP dx7300 PC and the motherboard is based on intel 965G with ICH8. I setuped Red Hat AS3 update9 successfully but my SATA H.D was recognized as /dev/hda, which model is 'Barracuda 7200.9' produced by ...

  1. How to enable DMA mode of /dev/hda?

    Hello everyone,

    I'm using one HP dx7300 PC and the motherboard is based on intel 965G with
    ICH8. I setuped Red Hat AS3 update9 successfully but my SATA H.D was
    recognized as /dev/hda, which model is 'Barracuda 7200.9' produced by
    Seagate. When I run hdparm -d1 /dev/hda, get such info:
    HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
    using_dma = 0 (off)

    How to enable the DMA mode? Either how to recognize the SATA H.D to
    /dev/sda? Thanks for your help!

    Have a good day!

    Regards,

    Joffre

  2. Re: How to enable DMA mode of /dev/hda?

    Previously tech11 wrote:
    > Hello everyone,

    > I'm using one HP dx7300 PC and the motherboard is based on intel 965G with
    > ICH8. I setuped Red Hat AS3 update9 successfully but my SATA H.D was
    > recognized as /dev/hda, which model is 'Barracuda 7200.9' produced by
    > Seagate. When I run hdparm -d1 /dev/hda, get such info:
    > HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
    > using_dma = 0 (off)

    > How to enable the DMA mode? Either how to recognize the SATA H.D to
    > /dev/sda? Thanks for your help!

    This looks to me like the HDD is under the control
    of the generic ATA driver. I suspect you have add the right
    driver to the kernel by either loading its module or compiling
    it in. The generic driver cannot put all chipsets into
    DMA mode.

    Arno

  3. Re: How to enable DMA mode of /dev/hda?

    on Wednesday 17 October 2007 12:32
    in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware
    tech11 wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I'm using one HP dx7300 PC and the motherboard is based on intel 965G with
    > ICH8. I setuped Red Hat AS3 update9 successfully but my SATA H.D was
    > recognized as /dev/hda, which model is 'Barracuda 7200.9' produced by
    > Seagate. When I run hdparm -d1 /dev/hda, get such info:
    > HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
    > using_dma = 0 (off)
    >
    > How to enable the DMA mode? Either how to recognize the SATA H.D to
    > /dev/sda? Thanks for your help!

    I think that that is only necessary (and valid) on an ATA drive.

    Try "hdparm -tT /dev/sda". If it gives you a buffered disk speed
    of 3MB/s something is wrong, if it around 50 to 80MB/s everything
    is fine.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.