Optiplex GXL 5200 boot sequence - Hardware

This is a discussion on Optiplex GXL 5200 boot sequence - Hardware ; I'm trying to save a Dell machine that's badged as an Optiplex GXL 5200 from having to suffer the vagaries of running Windohs 98, by installing a proper O.S. on it in the form of Linux. My problem is that ...

  1. Optiplex GXL 5200 boot sequence

    I'm trying to save a Dell machine that's badged as an Optiplex GXL
    5200 from having to suffer the vagaries of running Windohs 98, by
    installing a proper O.S. on it in the form of Linux.

    My problem is that there doesn't seem to be an option in the BIOS to
    boot from the CD/DVD ROM

    Any suggestions please?

  2. Re: Optiplex GXL 5200 boot sequence

    On Oct 16, 6:37 am, LinuxJunkie wrote:
    > I'm trying to save a Dell machine that's badged as an Optiplex GXL
    > 5200 from having to suffer the vagaries of running Windohs 98, by
    > installing a proper O.S. on it in the form of Linux.
    >
    > My problem is that there doesn't seem to be an option in the BIOS to
    > boot from the CD/DVD ROM
    >
    > Any suggestions please?

    Try pressing the following keys at the start boot. Some bioses have
    a special key to invoke a boot option menu which usually can select CD
    as a boot device.
    Esc
    F2
    F4