Xorg config - Hardware

This is a discussion on Xorg config - Hardware ; Hi, I'm using a Ubuntu on laptop Toshiba Satellite SA50-111 with an integreted Intel 852GM Graphics Chip. I'd like to use an external 20'' LCD monitor (samsung 206bw). I've configured Xorg and the external monitor works but it use a ...

  1. Xorg config

    Hi,
    I'm using a Ubuntu on laptop Toshiba Satellite SA50-111
    with an integreted Intel 852GM Graphics Chip.
    I'd like to use an external 20'' LCD monitor (samsung 206bw).
    I've configured Xorg and the external monitor works
    but it use a wrong resolution.
    I'd like to use two different resolutions
    for the monitor of laptop and external monitor (ie 1280x1024
    and 1600x1200 for the external monitor) is this possible? How can I switch
    from one to an other resolution?
    Can I use a resolution with a 16/9 ratio?

    Here a part of my Xorg.con
    What is wrong?

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel0"
    Driver "i810"
    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
    VideoRam 65535
    Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "On"
    Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
    Screen 0
    Option "DevicePresence" "true"
    Option "DRI" "true"
    Option "DDCMode" "True"
    Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
    # Option "FixedPipe" "A"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Intel1"
    Driver "i810"
    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
    VideoRam 65535
    Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "On"
    Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
    Screen 0
    Option "DRI" "true"
    Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
    Option "Clone" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    Option "DPMS"
    HorizSync 28-64
    VertRefresh 43-60
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Samsung"
    Option "DPMS"
    HorizSync 30-81
    VertRefresh 56-75

    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Intel0"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "SamsungScreen"
    Device "Intel1"
    Monitor "Samsung"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Option "Clone" "on"
    ### Option "Xinerama" "on"
    Option "AIGLX" "true"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    Screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    Screen 1 "SamsungScreen" LeftOf "Default Screen"
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    InputDevice "Generic Mouse"
    # InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Option "BlankTime" "5" # Oscura lo schermo dopo 5 minuti (Fake)
    Option "StandbyTime" "10" # Spegne lo schermo dopo 10 minuti (DPMS)
    Option "SuspendTime" "0" # Sospende dopo 20 minuti
    Option "OffTime" "0" # Spegne dopo mezz’ora
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection

  2. Re: Xorg config

    On Oct 16, 5:10 am, Desa wrote:
> [...]
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 24
    > Modes "1280x1024"
    > EndSubSection
    > EndSection
    >
    > Section "ServerLayout"
    > Identifier "Default Layout"
    > Option "Clone" "on"
    > ### Option "Xinerama" "on"
    > Option "AIGLX" "true"
    > Screen "Default Screen"
    > Screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    > Screen 1 "SamsungScreen" LeftOf "Default Screen"
    > InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    > InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    > InputDevice "Generic Mouse"
    > # InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
    > Option "BlankTime" "5" # Oscura lo schermo dopo 5 minuti (Fake)
    > Option "StandbyTime" "10" # Spegne lo schermo dopo 10 minuti (DPMS)
    > Option "SuspendTime" "0" # Sospende dopo 20 minuti
    > Option "OffTime" "0" # Spegne dopo mezz'ora

    Try Ctrl Alt + and Ctrl Alt - to change resolution on X

  3. Re: Xorg config

    on Tuesday 16 October 2007 05:10
    in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware
    Desa wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm using a Ubuntu on laptop Toshiba Satellite SA50-111
    > with an integreted Intel 852GM Graphics Chip.
    > I'd like to use an external 20'' LCD monitor (samsung 206bw).
    > I've configured Xorg and the external monitor works
    > but it use a wrong resolution.
    > I'd like to use two different resolutions
    > for the monitor of laptop and external monitor (ie 1280x1024
    > and 1600x1200 for the external monitor) is this possible?

    Yes, unless you want both monitors to show exactly the same
    thing at the same time.

    Do you want to use both at the same time? With the desktop
    spread over two monitors?

    What will happen to the laptop monitor if you drive it at too
    high a resolution? It should be fine, but read the documentation
    first.

    > How can I switch
    > from one to an other resolution?

    While everything is running, just between sessions?

    > Can I use a resolution with a 16/9 ratio?

    Yes.

    > Here a part of my Xorg.con
    > What is wrong?

    [snip]