IDing CPU's 64bitness - Hardware

This is a discussion on IDing CPU's 64bitness - Hardware ; Hi folks. I've got a laptop here (HP Compaq nc6400) and I'm not sure whether the CPU is 32bit or 64bit. The OS is definitely 32bit. How do I tell what the hardware is? The sticker on the case says ...

  1. IDing CPU's 64bitness

    Hi folks. I've got a laptop here (HP Compaq nc6400) and I'm not sure
    whether the CPU is 32bit or 64bit. The OS is definitely 32bit. How do
    I tell what the hardware is? The sticker on the case says it's an
    "Intel Core 2 Duo", and /proc/cpuinfo says:

    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 15
    model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz
    stepping : 6
    cpu MHz : 1000.000
    cache size : 4096 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 2
    core id : 0
    cpu cores : 2
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 10
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm
    constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
    bogomips : 3994.27
    clflush size : 64

    (same for processor 1). Thanks.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81

    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be
    adequately explained by stupidity." Derived from Robert Heinlein

  2. Re: IDing CPU's 64bitness

    On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 01:07:39 +0000, Hactar wrote:

    > Hi folks. I've got a laptop here (HP Compaq nc6400) and I'm not sure
    > whether the CPU is 32bit or 64bit. The OS is definitely 32bit. How do
    > I tell what the hardware is? The sticker on the case says it's an
    > "Intel Core 2 Duo", and /proc/cpuinfo says:
    >
    > processor : 0
    > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    > cpu family : 6
    > model : 15
    > model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz
    > stepping : 6
    > cpu MHz : 1000.000
    > cache size : 4096 KB
    > physical id : 0
    > siblings : 2
    > core id : 0
    > cpu cores : 2
    > fdiv_bug : no
    > hlt_bug : no
    > f00f_bug : no
    > coma_bug : no
    > fpu : yes
    > fpu_exception : yes
    > cpuid level : 10
    > wp : yes
    > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
    > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm
    > constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
    > bogomips : 3994.27
    > clflush size : 64
    >
    > (same for processor 1). Thanks.

    Core2 is 64 bit.

  3. Re: IDing CPU's 64bitness

    Hactar schrieb:
    > Hi folks. I've got a laptop here (HP Compaq nc6400) and I'm not sure
    > whether the CPU is 32bit or 64bit. The OS is definitely 32bit. How do
    > I tell what the hardware is? The sticker on the case says it's an
    > "Intel Core 2 Duo"

    Then it is capable of running 64bit operating systems. Whether you use
    it as such is another question. Actually, AFAIK, the core 2 duos are
    faster when run as 32 bit machines.

    So long,
    Thomas

  4. Re: IDing CPU's 64bitness

    Thomas Richter writes:

    > Hactar schrieb:
    >> Hi folks. I've got a laptop here (HP Compaq nc6400) and I'm not sure
    >> whether the CPU is 32bit or 64bit. The OS is definitely 32bit. How do
    >> I tell what the hardware is? The sticker on the case says it's an
    >> "Intel Core 2 Duo"

    > Then it is capable of running 64bit operating systems. Whether you use
    > it as such is another question. Actually, AFAIK, the core 2 duos are
    > faster when run as 32 bit machines.

    That depends on what you use them for. Anything video related is
    significantly faster in 64-bit mode, mostly because of the additional
    general-purpose registers available there.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  5. Re: IDing CPU's 64bitness

    In article ,
    Thomas Richter wrote:
    > Hactar schrieb:
    > > Hi folks. I've got a laptop here (HP Compaq nc6400) and I'm not sure
    > > whether the CPU is 32bit or 64bit. The OS is definitely 32bit. How do
    > > I tell what the hardware is? The sticker on the case says it's an
    > > "Intel Core 2 Duo"

    > Then it is capable of running 64bit operating systems. Whether you use
    > it as such is another question. Actually, AFAIK, the core 2 duos are
    > faster when run as 32 bit machines.

    OK. I understand that you can run Linux64 natively, and run VMware with
    Linux32 inside. Can you do the reverse?

    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein

  6. Re: IDing CPU's 64bitness

    On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:07:39 +0000, Hactar wrote:

    > In article , Thomas Richter
    > wrote:
    >> Hactar schrieb:
    >> > Hi folks. I've got a laptop here (HP Compaq nc6400) and I'm not sure
    >> > whether the CPU is 32bit or 64bit. The OS is definitely 32bit. How
    >> > do I tell what the hardware is? The sticker on the case says it's an
    >> > "Intel Core 2 Duo"

    >> Then it is capable of running 64bit operating systems. Whether you use
    >> it as such is another question. Actually, AFAIK, the core 2 duos are
    >> faster when run as 32 bit machines.

    > OK. I understand that you can run Linux64 natively, and run VMware with
    > Linux32 inside. Can you do the reverse?

    I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that VMware requires a 64bit host OS to
    be able to run a 64 bit client. You can run 32 bit clients on a 64 bit
    host system but only 32 bit clients on a 32 bit host.

  7. Re: IDing CPU's 64bitness

    In article ,
    General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:07:39 +0000, Hactar wrote:
    >
    > > In article , Thomas Richter
    > > wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Then it is capable of running 64bit operating systems. Whether you use
    > >> it as such is another question. Actually, AFAIK, the core 2 duos are
    > >> faster when run as 32 bit machines.

    > > OK. I understand that you can run Linux64 natively, and run VMware with
    > > Linux32 inside. Can you do the reverse?

    > I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that VMware requires a 64bit host OS to
    > be able to run a 64 bit client. You can run 32 bit clients on a 64 bit
    > host system but only 32 bit clients on a 32 bit host.

    OK. Is there a way of going 64bit piecemeal, maybe by reconfigging the
    kernel, then some libs, then some binaries, or is there one step where
    I'll be unable to run pretty much everything on my system? I wanted to
    use a 64bit OS, but couldn't get a 64bit installer to run. Weird laptop
    hardware (specifically the video card) most likely.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    AQUARIUS: There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the

  8. Re: IDing CPU's 64bitness

    ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) writes:

    > In article ,
    > General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:07:39 +0000, Hactar wrote:

    >> > OK. I understand that you can run Linux64 natively, and run VMware with
    >> > Linux32 inside. Can you do the reverse?

    >> I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that VMware requires a 64bit host OS to
    >> be able to run a 64 bit client. You can run 32 bit clients on a 64 bit
    >> host system but only 32 bit clients on a 32 bit host.

    > OK. Is there a way of going 64bit piecemeal, maybe by reconfigging the
    > kernel, then some libs, then some binaries, or is there one step where
    > I'll be unable to run pretty much everything on my system? I wanted to
    > use a 64bit OS, but couldn't get a 64bit installer to run. Weird laptop
    > hardware (specifically the video card) most likely.

    A 64-bit kernel will (unless configured not to) run 32-bit userspace
    applications. Thus you can switch your kernel for a 64-bit one and
    keep the rest of the system. Once the 64-bit kernel is running, you
    can start using 64-bit libraries and applications.

    Migrating a 32-bit install to 64-bit is, however, no trivial task.
    You're probably better off reinstalling from scratch. If you have
    trouble running the installers, try one that runs in text mode. If a
    distribution doesn't offer that option, it's not worth using anyway.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  9. Re: IDing CPU's 64bitness

    On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:07:40 +0000, Hactar wrote:

    > In article , General
    > Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:07:39 +0000, Hactar wrote:

    >> > OK. I understand that you can run Linux64 natively, and run VMware
    >> > with Linux32 inside. Can you do the reverse?

    >> I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that VMware requires a 64bit host OS
    >> to be able to run a 64 bit client. You can run 32 bit clients on a 64
    >> bit host system but only 32 bit clients on a 32 bit host.

    > OK. Is there a way of going 64bit piecemeal, maybe by reconfigging the
    > kernel, then some libs, then some binaries, or is there one step where
    > I'll be unable to run pretty much everything on my system? I wanted to
    > use a 64bit OS, but couldn't get a 64bit installer to run. Weird laptop
    > hardware (specifically the video card) most likely.

    I wouldn't try to do it piecemeal. It only takes 20 minutes to install
    Fedora plus the time it takes to do the updates, other distros are
    similar. Do the 64 bit install to a different partition if you don't want
    to blow away your 32 install.

  10. Re: IDing CPU's 64bitness

    In article ,
    Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) writes:
    >
    > > OK. Is there a way of going 64bit piecemeal, maybe by reconfigging the
    > > kernel, then some libs, then some binaries, or is there one step where
    > > I'll be unable to run pretty much everything on my system? I wanted to
    > > use a 64bit OS, but couldn't get a 64bit installer to run. Weird laptop
    > > hardware (specifically the video card) most likely.

    > A 64-bit kernel will (unless configured not to) run 32-bit userspace
    > applications. Thus you can switch your kernel for a 64-bit one and
    > keep the rest of the system. Once the 64-bit kernel is running, you
    > can start using 64-bit libraries and applications.
    >
    > Migrating a 32-bit install to 64-bit is, however, no trivial task.
    > You're probably better off reinstalling from scratch. If you have
    > trouble running the installers, try one that runs in text mode. If a
    > distribution doesn't offer that option, it's not worth using anyway.

    Cool. Now that I know it's the installer rather than the CPU, I'll give
    it another shot next time the system gets so hosed that reinstallation
    is my best course of action.

    What is it about migration that makes it so difficult? That one binary
    can have a whole bunch of 32bit dependencies, and I can't find the
    source?

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
    LEO: Now is not a good time to photocopy your butt and staple it

  11. Re: IDing CPU's 64bitness

    ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) writes:

    > In article ,
    > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >> ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar) writes:
    >>
    >> > OK. Is there a way of going 64bit piecemeal, maybe by reconfigging the
    >> > kernel, then some libs, then some binaries, or is there one step where
    >> > I'll be unable to run pretty much everything on my system? I wanted to
    >> > use a 64bit OS, but couldn't get a 64bit installer to run. Weird laptop
    >> > hardware (specifically the video card) most likely.

    >> A 64-bit kernel will (unless configured not to) run 32-bit userspace
    >> applications. Thus you can switch your kernel for a 64-bit one and
    >> keep the rest of the system. Once the 64-bit kernel is running, you
    >> can start using 64-bit libraries and applications.
    >>
    >> Migrating a 32-bit install to 64-bit is, however, no trivial task.
    >> You're probably better off reinstalling from scratch. If you have
    >> trouble running the installers, try one that runs in text mode. If a
    >> distribution doesn't offer that option, it's not worth using anyway.

    > Cool. Now that I know it's the installer rather than the CPU, I'll give
    > it another shot next time the system gets so hosed that reinstallation
    > is my best course of action.
    >
    > What is it about migration that makes it so difficult? That one binary
    > can have a whole bunch of 32bit dependencies, and I can't find the
    > source?

    32-bit distributions are not typically, if ever, set up to easily
    facilitate dual sets of system libraries. You'd most likely have to
    fight the package manager to force installation of seemingly
    incompatible packages.

    A clean 64-bit install, on the other hand, will usually allow a base
    set of 32-bit libraries to allow running 32-bit binary-only
    applications.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com