Complete Linux Systems that fit in the palm of your hand - Hardware

This is a discussion on Complete Linux Systems that fit in the palm of your hand - Hardware ; Fully functioning miniature Linux computers Compact Flash and Ethernet Motherboard: gumstix connex motherboard Processor: Intel XScale« PXA255 Speed: 200MHz Memory: 64MB RAM and 16MB Flash Networking: 10/100baseT Ethernet port Storage/ Communications: Type II Compact Flash card slot Software: Latest Linux ...

  1. Complete Linux Systems that fit in the palm of your hand

    Fully functioning miniature Linux computers

    Compact Flash and Ethernet

    Motherboard: gumstix connex motherboard
    Processor: Intel XScale« PXA255
    Speed: 200MHz
    Memory:
    64MB RAM and 16MB Flash
    Networking:
    10/100baseT Ethernet port
    Storage/
    Communications:
    Type II Compact Flash card slot
    Software:
    Latest Linux 2.6 and more
    Power:
    4V power adapter included

    http://gadgettinyinspector.blogspot....computers.html

  2. Re: Complete Linux Systems that fit in the palm of your hand

    Yellow Cat wrote:
    > Fully functioning miniature Linux computers
    >
    > Compact Flash and Ethernet
    >
    > Motherboard: gumstix connex motherboard
    > Processor: Intel XScale« PXA255
    > Speed: 200MHz
    > Memory:
    > 64MB RAM and 16MB Flash
    > Networking:
    > 10/100baseT Ethernet port
    > Storage/
    > Communications:
    > Type II Compact Flash card slot
    > Software:
    > Latest Linux 2.6 and more
    > Power:
    > 4V power adapter included
    >
    > http://gadgettinyinspector.blogspot....computers.html

    Small, because there is no video out, and other features, as it is a
    unit built for 'remote' or network, access. You can add a wifi and a
    video out card, each about the same size.
    When you visit http://gumstix.com you can see the 400Mhz unit, also.

    then, there are other small Linux systems,
    This is not as small, is 800Mhz, and has full in/out peripherals.
    > http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/store/..._Small_Machine

  3. Re: Complete Linux Systems that fit in the palm of your hand

    AHappyCamper wrote:

    > Yellow Cat wrote:
    >> Fully functioning miniature Linux computers
    >>
    >> Compact Flash and Ethernet
    >>
    >> Motherboard: gumstix connex motherboard
    >> Processor: Intel XScale® PXA255
    >> Speed: 200MHz
    >> Memory:
    >> 64MB RAM and 16MB Flash
    >> Networking:
    >> 10/100baseT Ethernet port
    >> Storage/
    >> Communications:
    >> Type II Compact Flash card slot
    >> Software:
    >> Latest Linux 2.6 and more
    >> Power:
    >> 4V power adapter included
    >>
    >> http://gadgettinyinspector.blogspot....computers.html
    >>

    > Small, because there is no video out, and other features, as it is a
    > unit built for 'remote' or network, access. You can add a wifi and a
    > video out card, each about the same size.
    > When you visit http://gumstix.com you can see the 400Mhz unit, also.
    >
    > then, there are other small Linux systems,
    > This is not as small, is 800Mhz, and has full in/out peripherals.
    >> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/store/..._Small_Machine

    get a pda

  4. Re: Complete Linux Systems that fit in the palm of your hand

    Yellow Cat <1001webs@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Fully functioning miniature Linux computers
    >
    >Compact Flash and Ethernet
    >
    >Motherboard: gumstix connex motherboard
    >Processor: Intel XScale« PXA255
    >Speed: 200MHz
    >Memory:
    > 64MB RAM and 16MB Flash
    >Networking:
    > 10/100baseT Ethernet port
    >Storage/
    >Communications:
    > Type II Compact Flash card slot
    >Software:
    > Latest Linux 2.6 and more
    >Power:
    > 4V power adapter included
    >
    >http://gadgettinyinspector.blogspot....computers.html

    POS

  5. Re: Complete Linux Systems that fit in the palm of your hand

    darklight wrote:
    > AHappyCamper wrote:
    >
    >> Yellow Cat wrote:
    >>> Fully functioning miniature Linux computers
    >>>
    >>> Compact Flash and Ethernet
    >>>
    >>> Motherboard: gumstix connex motherboard
    >>> Processor: Intel XScale® PXA255
    >>> Speed: 200MHz
    >>> Memory:
    >>> 64MB RAM and 16MB Flash
    >>> Networking:
    >>> 10/100baseT Ethernet port
    >>> Storage/
    >>> Communications:
    >>> Type II Compact Flash card slot
    >>> Software:
    >>> Latest Linux 2.6 and more
    >>> Power:
    >>> 4V power adapter included
    >>>
    >>> http://gadgettinyinspector.blogspot....computers.html
    >>>

    >> Small, because there is no video out, and other features, as it is a
    >> unit built for 'remote' or network, access. You can add a wifi and a
    >> video out card, each about the same size.
    >> When you visit http://gumstix.com you can see the 400Mhz unit, also.
    >>
    >> then, there are other small Linux systems,
    >> This is not as small, is 800Mhz, and has full in/out peripherals.
    >>> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/store/..._Small_Machine

    > get a pda

    Then there is the zipit and now the zipit2.

    But, they are all small, compact, but, at the cost of speed,
    functionality, and other features the user will dearly miss.

    Like everything else, it is fraught with compromise.

    Reminds me of the adage about having a choice of any two:

    * fast * cheap * good

  6. Re: Complete Linux Systems that fit in the palm of your hand

    Here in comp.os.linux.hardware,
    darklight spake unto us, saying:

    > get a pda

    Or a Nokia 770 or N800. They run a Debian variant called Maemo, and
    I've got four browsers running on my 770 (Opera 8.02, MicroB, Minimo,
    and Links). :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  7. Re: Complete Linux Systems that fit in the palm of your hand

    On Oct 11, 4:03 pm, AHappyCamper <@thelandfill.com> wrote:
    > Yellow Cat wrote:
    > > Fully functioning miniature Linux computers

    > > Compact Flash and Ethernet

    > > Motherboard: gumstix connex motherboard
    > > Processor: Intel XScale« PXA255
    > > Speed: 200MHz
    > > Memory:
    > > 64MB RAM and 16MB Flash
    > > Networking:
    > > 10/100baseT Ethernet port
    > > Storage/
    > > Communications:
    > > Type II Compact Flash card slot
    > > Software:
    > > Latest Linux 2.6 and more
    > > Power:
    > > 4V power adapter included

    > >http://gadgettinyinspector.blogspot....inux-computers....

    > Small, because there is no video out, and other features, as it is a
    > unit built for 'remote' or network, access. You can add a wifi and a
    > video out card, each about the same size.
    > When you visithttp://gumstix.comyou can see the 400Mhz unit, also.
    >
    > then, there are other small Linux systems,
    > This is not as small, is 800Mhz, and has full in/out peripherals.
    >
    > >http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/store/..._Small_Machine

    Samsung LTE430WQ-F0C 4.3" TFT LCD screen connects directly to the LCD
    connector on all gumstix LCD-ready expansion boards.
    http://gumstix.com/store/catalog/pro...roducts_id=195

    With the verdex motherboard, there are several ways to connect the
    Samsung screen.
    See here:
    http://docwiki.gumstix.org/Lcd

  8. Re: Complete Linux Systems that fit in the palm of your hand

    In <8zuDHpHpv25D092yn@visi.com> Richard Steiner:

    [Snip...]

    > Nokia 770 or N800. They run a Debian variant called Maemo

    FWIW, Linux Journal has some info:

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9724

  9. Re: Complete Linux Systems that fit in the palm of your hand

    Yellow Cat <1001webs@gmail.com> wrote:
    >On Oct 11, 4:03 pm, AHappyCamper <@thelandfill.com> wrote:
    >> > Fully functioning miniature Linux computers

    >> > Processor: Intel XScale« PXA255
    >> > Speed: 200MHz
    >> > Memory: 64MB RAM and 16MB Flash

    I haven't seen fully functioning defined as 200MHz and 64MB RAM defined
    in about 10 years. 1GHz and 10GB is the lower limit of anything truly
    functional as of 2007.

    The smallest hardware that will support this spec is probably OQO
    (www.oqo.com).

    PS

  10. Re: Complete Linux Systems that fit in the palm of your hand

    On 19 Oct 2007 01:22:37 GMT, Pacosan wrote:

    >Yellow Cat <1001webs@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I haven't seen fully functioning defined as 200MHz and 64MB RAM defined
    >in about 10 years. 1GHz and 10GB is the lower limit of anything truly
    >functional as of 2007.

    >The smallest hardware that will support this spec is probably OQO
    >(www.oqo.com).

    For embedded applications, that is plenty. You can easily do control
    automation, run a database, TCP/IP networking, etc. on half that hardware.

    Your minimum requirements for doing anything usefull is laughable. You've
    been using bloated GUIs for too long.

  11. Re: Complete Linux Systems that fit in the palm of your hand

    AZ Nomad (aznomad.2@PremoveOBthisOX.COM) writes:
    > On 19 Oct 2007 01:22:37 GMT, Pacosan wrote:
    >

    >>Yellow Cat <1001webs@gmail.com> wrote:

    >>I haven't seen fully functioning defined as 200MHz and 64MB RAM defined
    >>in about 10 years. 1GHz and 10GB is the lower limit of anything truly
    >>functional as of 2007.

    >>The smallest hardware that will support this spec is probably OQO
    >>(www.oqo.com).

    > For embedded applications, that is plenty. You can easily do control
    > automation, run a database, TCP/IP networking, etc. on half that hardware.
    >
    > Your minimum requirements for doing anything usefull is laughable. You've
    > been using bloated GUIs for too long.

    Come now, how is he supposed to run the unit if there's no gui to point
    and click with?

    It's a bloated system except for something that uses a GUI, and likely
    it doesn't even have a video interface, which is an indication it's
    not really intended for use with a gui.

    When I first started using Linux as my main computer in mid-2001, it
    had all of 32megs of RAM, and I could run KDE fine.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread