Good and economical DVI video adaptor for Linux? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Good and economical DVI video adaptor for Linux? - Hardware ; Hi -- I am running Fedora Core 5 and would like to install an AGP video card that has DVI output. Could someone recommend an economical card, with at least 128MB memory, that would work well under Linux FC5? Thanks....

  1. Good and economical DVI video adaptor for Linux?

    Hi -- I am running Fedora Core 5 and would like to install an AGP video
    card that has DVI output. Could someone recommend an economical card,
    with at least 128MB memory, that would work well under Linux FC5?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Good and economical DVI video adaptor for Linux?

    Mark Bratcher wrote:
    > Hi -- I am running Fedora Core 5 and would like to install an AGP video
    > card that has DVI output. Could someone recommend an economical card,
    > with at least 128MB memory, that would work well under Linux FC5?
    >
    > Thanks.

    FC7 is much more mature.

    Video cards for HTPC (DVI):

    > http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/ho...tpc/video.html

    More on video, in general, and a listing of functional video cards in Linux:

    > http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/...WTO/video.html

  3. Re: Good and economical DVI video adaptor for Linux?

    AHappyCamper wrote:
    > Mark Bratcher wrote:
    >> Hi -- I am running Fedora Core 5 and would like to install an AGP video
    >> card that has DVI output. Could someone recommend an economical card,
    >> with at least 128MB memory, that would work well under Linux FC5?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > FC7 is much more mature.

    Probably by +2 eh?
    Seriously, I do plan to upgrade eventually...

    > Video cards for HTPC (DVI):
    >
    >> http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/ho...tpc/video.html

    > More on video, in general, and a listing of functional video cards in Linux:
    >
    >> http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/...WTO/video.html

    Great links. Thanks.

    Anything I need to be aware of specially to enable the DVI interface, or
    does it "just happen" if I plug that cable in instead of the VGA cable?

  4. Re: Good and economical DVI video adaptor for Linux?

    Mark Bratcher wrote:
    > AHappyCamper wrote:
    >> Mark Bratcher wrote:
    >>> Hi -- I am running Fedora Core 5 and would like to install an AGP video
    >>> card that has DVI output. Could someone recommend an economical card,
    >>> with at least 128MB memory, that would work well under Linux FC5?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> FC7 is much more mature.

    > Probably by +2 eh?
    > Seriously, I do plan to upgrade eventually...
    >

    >> Video cards for HTPC (DVI):
    >>
    >>> http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/ho...tpc/video.html

    >> More on video, in general, and a listing of functional video cards in
    >> Linux:
    >>
    >>> http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/...WTO/video.html

    > Great links. Thanks.
    >
    > Anything I need to be aware of specially to enable the DVI interface, or
    > does it "just happen" if I plug that cable in instead of the VGA cable?

    No special steps need even be taken, this is GNU/Linux. We're talking
    competence, here...
    I plugged in my DVI and it just worked! Five months later, still works!

  5. Re: Good and economical DVI video adaptor for Linux?

    AHappyCamper wrote:
    > Mark Bratcher wrote:
    >> AHappyCamper wrote:

    >>> FC7 is much more mature.

    >> Probably by +2 eh?
    >> Seriously, I do plan to upgrade eventually...
    >>
    >>> Video cards for HTPC (DVI):

    >>> More on video, in general, and a listing of functional video cards in
    >>> Linux:

    >> Great links. Thanks.
    >>
    >> Anything I need to be aware of specially to enable the DVI interface, or
    >> does it "just happen" if I plug that cable in instead of the VGA cable?

    > No special steps need even be taken, this is GNU/Linux. We're talking
    > competence, here...
    > I plugged in my DVI and it just worked! Five months later, still works!

    Thanks, that's excellent. What particular card/buss do you use?

+ Reply to Thread