Found a cheap AC adapter for Dell X50v (that you might have about) - Handheld

This is a discussion on Found a cheap AC adapter for Dell X50v (that you might have about) - Handheld ; This isn't earth shattering or anything, but the iPaq 36xx (and I suppose the 37xx since it's got the same connectors IIRC) AC adapter will work with the Dell cradles. the iPaq shows a 5V output and the Dell cradle ...

  1. Found a cheap AC adapter for Dell X50v (that you might have about)

    This isn't earth shattering or anything, but the iPaq 36xx (and I suppose
    the 37xx since it's got the same connectors IIRC) AC adapter will work with
    the Dell cradles. the iPaq shows a 5V output and the Dell cradle shows a
    5.4V input. An 8% difference. I just tried it.

    I'm willing to bet the iPaq 36xx/37xx AC adapters are a heck of a lot
    cheaper than the Dell ones...

    Also I'd also bet it's a lot easier to find an AC adapter with a center
    positive 5V output than what seems to me an oddball 5.4V

    Now, does anyone have an extra AC adapter for an iPaq? I got my X50v at a
    pawn shop in perfect condition for $185 with tax, but all I got was the
    cradle and Outlook 2002 CD. Oh well, for that price....

    --
    "Quality is the enemy of production."
    Homepage - http://members.cox.net/rcbullock/ 'It's lamer than Spaeth's!'

  2. Re: Found a cheap AC adapter for Dell X50v (that you might have about)

    I also measured the actual output from the ipaq adapter and it was 5.27V.
    I'm also willing to bet that an adapter rated less than 5V would work. 4.5
    or so but 5V is probably the most common.

    "rcbullock@no_spam.cox.net" wrote in message
    > This isn't earth shattering or anything, but the iPaq 36xx (and I suppose
    > the 37xx since it's got the same connectors IIRC) AC adapter will work
    > with the Dell cradles.

  3. Re: Found a cheap AC adapter for Dell X50v (that you might have about)

    >I also measured the actual output from the ipaq adapter and it was 5.27V.
    >I'm also willing to bet that an adapter rated less than 5V would work. 4.5
    >or so but 5V is probably the most common.
    >
    > "rcbullock@no_spam.cox.net" wrote in message
    >> This isn't earth shattering or anything, but the iPaq 36xx (and I suppose
    >> the 37xx since it's got the same connectors IIRC) AC adapter will work
    >> with the Dell cradles.

    Many, many moons ago, when I worked for Radioshack, I noticed that most
    common AC adapters don't actually output the number of volts they're listed
    at, but slightly higher. For example, a 4.5 V adapter will usually generate
    anywhere from 5.1 to 5.4 volts, and 12V adapters usually actually output
    13.6 volts.

    The reason for this, I presume, is that an actual 1.5V alkaline battery,
    such as a AA, C, or D actually has a voltage closer to 1.7 when fresh, which
    gradually declines as the battery discharges. NiCad and NiMH batteries,
    meanwhile, start at lower voltages (usually 1.2V), but, as I recall, have a
    flatter voltage drop as they discharge.

    --Jason

  4. Re: Found a cheap AC adapter for Dell X50v (that you might have about)

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:25:21 -0700, "Jason Donahue"
    wrote:

    >Many, many moons ago, when I worked for Radioshack, I noticed that most
    >common AC adapters don't actually output the number of volts they're listed
    >at, but slightly higher. For example, a 4.5 V adapter will usually generate
    >anywhere from 5.1 to 5.4 volts, and 12V adapters usually actually output
    >13.6 volts.
    >
    >The reason for this, I presume, is that an actual 1.5V alkaline battery,
    >such as a AA, C, or D actually has a voltage closer to 1.7 when fresh, which
    >gradually declines as the battery discharges.

    The reason for this is that the initial voltage rating is without a
    load. Once these devices, batteries or power adapters, have a
    functional current-drawing load on them, their voltage output is
    reduced because they are unregulated. If you started with 4.5V
    unloaded, you could not expect 4.5V with a load.

    Kal

  5. Re: Found a cheap AC adapter for Dell X50v (that you might have about)

    "Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:25:21 -0700, "Jason Donahue"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Many, many moons ago, when I worked for Radioshack, I noticed that most
    >>common AC adapters don't actually output the number of volts they're
    >>listed
    >>at, but slightly higher. For example, a 4.5 V adapter will usually
    >>generate
    >>anywhere from 5.1 to 5.4 volts, and 12V adapters usually actually output
    >>13.6 volts.
    >>
    >>The reason for this, I presume, is that an actual 1.5V alkaline battery,
    >>such as a AA, C, or D actually has a voltage closer to 1.7 when fresh,
    >>which
    >>gradually declines as the battery discharges.

    > The reason for this is that the initial voltage rating is without a
    > load. Once these devices, batteries or power adapters, have a
    > functional current-drawing load on them, their voltage output is
    > reduced because they are unregulated. If you started with 4.5V
    > unloaded, you could not expect 4.5V with a load.
    >
    > Kal

    And that's the part I'd forgotten. Not surprising, since I haven't dealt
    with this stuff much in the past 7 years. Thanks.

    --Jason

  6. Re: Found a cheap AC adapter for Dell X50v (that you might have about)

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:32:53 -0500, "rcbullock@no_spam.cox.net"
    wrote:

    >This isn't earth shattering or anything, but the iPaq 36xx (and I suppose
    >the 37xx since it's got the same connectors IIRC) AC adapter will work with
    >the Dell cradles. the iPaq shows a 5V output and the Dell cradle shows a
    >5.4V input. An 8% difference. I just tried it.

    I can use a Radio Shack adapter with the cradle for my Axim X50 (not
    V). The adapter is one of those with multiple tips and a switch to
    choose voltage. The X50 cradle says it needs 5.4 V. The closest
    choices on the adapter were 4.5 and 6. I figured under voltage would
    just slow charging, while over voltage might hurt. So I tried 4.5 and
    seemed to succeed (the light on the Axim lit). I didn't test further,
    but assume the Axim will charge, and that's all I need.

    >I'm willing to bet the iPaq 36xx/37xx AC adapters are a heck of a lot
    >cheaper than the Dell ones...
    >
    >Also I'd also bet it's a lot easier to find an AC adapter with a center
    >positive 5V output than what seems to me an oddball 5.4V
    >
    >Now, does anyone have an extra AC adapter for an iPaq? I got my X50v at a
    >pawn shop in perfect condition for $185 with tax, but all I got was the
    >cradle and Outlook 2002 CD. Oh well, for that price....

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  7. Re: Found a cheap AC adapter for Dell X50v (that you might have about)

    Yup, forgot about that. At any rate, 5.4 vs. 5 is only an 8% difference,
    which most consumer devices (I'd bet) will accept happily.

    "Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:25:21 -0700, "Jason Donahue"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Many, many moons ago, when I worked for Radioshack, I noticed that most
    >>common AC adapters don't actually output the number of volts they're
    >>listed
    >>at, but slightly higher. .

    > The reason for this is that the initial voltage rating is without a
    > load.

  8. Re: Found a cheap AC adapter for Dell X50v (that you might have about)

    schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:32:53 -0500, "rcbullock@no_spam.cox.net"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >This isn't earth shattering or anything, but the iPaq 36xx (and I suppose
    > >the 37xx since it's got the same connectors IIRC) AC adapter will work

    with
    > >the Dell cradles. the iPaq shows a 5V output and the Dell cradle shows a
    > >5.4V input. An 8% difference. I just tried it.

    > I can use a Radio Shack adapter with the cradle for my Axim X50 (not
    > V). The adapter is one of those with multiple tips and a switch to
    > choose voltage. The X50 cradle says it needs 5.4 V. The closest
    > choices on the adapter were 4.5 and 6. I figured under voltage would
    > just slow charging, while over voltage might hurt. So I tried 4.5 and
    > seemed to succeed (the light on the Axim lit). I didn't test further,
    > but assume the Axim will charge, and that's all I need.
    >

    > >I'm willing to bet the iPaq 36xx/37xx AC adapters are a heck of a lot
    > >cheaper than the Dell ones...
    > >
    > >Also I'd also bet it's a lot easier to find an AC adapter with a center
    > >positive 5V output than what seems to me an oddball 5.4V
    > >
    > >Now, does anyone have an extra AC adapter for an iPaq? I got my X50v

    at a
    > >pawn shop in perfect condition for $185 with tax, but all I got was the
    > >cradle and Outlook 2002 CD. Oh well, for that price....

    > To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and

    please indicate which newsgroup and message).

    > Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    > PenFact, Inc.
    > 500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    > Boston, MA 02118