Sony: "The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance" - Handheld

This is a discussion on Sony: "The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance" - Handheld ; http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=454 Aug 26th In six days' time Europe will experience the biggest hardware launch since PlayStation 2 in 2000, with Sony insisting that any competition with Nintendo is 'irrelevant'. August 26th by Johnny Minkley and Dave Roberts In six days' ...

  1. Sony: "The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance"

    http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=454
    Aug 26th
    In six days' time Europe will experience the biggest hardware launch since
    PlayStation 2 in 2000, with Sony insisting that any competition with
    Nintendo is 'irrelevant'.
    August 26th by Johnny Minkley and Dave Roberts

    In six days' time Europe will experience the biggest hardware launch since
    PlayStation 2 in 2000, with Sony insisting that any competition with
    Nintendo is 'irrelevant'.

    And after a hard year for the High Street, PSP brings with it what the trade
    hopes will be a long-awaited turning point in the fortunes of the market and
    the promise of a bumper Q4.

    Despite shortages, Sony's handheld has already launched to great success in
    Japan and the US. And while delays have pushed back the release of the
    system in PAL territories until September 1st, the Ł179.99 unit is expected
    to prove a sell-out.

    With the final part of the global launch jigsaw almost in place, backed with
    a massive Ł10m cross-media marketing campaign, SCEE expects its dominance in
    the home console arena to drive its debut handheld system to success,
    dismissing the challenge of sector leader Nintendo.

    "The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance," VP of
    studios Phil Harrison insisted to MCV. "Those formats don't appear in our
    planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress.
    That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth.

    "Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that
    down; and it's pretty much defined by a boy or girl's ability to admire
    Pokémon.

    "With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical
    race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen," Harrison
    continued. "But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a
    gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct
    result of that."

    But Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter believes there is enough room for
    both systems in the market: "Longterm, I see DS expanding Nintendo's
    demographic upward to the high teens," he told MCV. "I see Sony's PSP
    expanding the 'mobile' demographic to the 30s. Both will expand the overall
    market by providing an outlet for gameplay beyond the home or office."

  2. Re: Sony: "The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance"

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:54:44 -0500, nam75 wrote:

    > "Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that
    > down; and it's pretty much defined by a boy or girl's ability to admire
    > Pokémon.

    Heh. Marketeers are always so prone to sounding polemic. I am well past
    thirty, and I use my GBA SP mostly for playing chess and the occasional
    pinball session. Most (all?) games I have seen for the PSP appeal to a far
    more action-oriented audience. Worst of all, though, is the battery life.
    For what I want a handheld gaming device for, four hours just don't cut it.
    The PSP also seems a little unwieldly, but that may just be me. In the
    current situation, I'd probably be more likely to get a micro than a PSP
    (though the PSP certainly does look attractive in various ways, I just
    don't feel I belong to the target audience). Then again, with PocketPCs and
    palms getting really cheap now, I'd probably opt for one of those rather
    than for a new handheld gaming device (much better chess software available
    there, too). For full-fleged gaming, I have a state-of-the-art PC.

    > "I see Sony's PSP
    > expanding the 'mobile' demographic to the 30s.

    Well, I don't, but then again, many people of the PSone generation are now
    approaching mid-twenties and thirty, so perhaps that does make sense after
    all. Gaming habits and preferences don't just vanish when you get older. I
    still enjoy the same type of games that I had fun with twenty years ago.

    M.

+ Reply to Thread